Hasegawa 1/72 Kawanishi H8K2 'Emily' (new tool)

I bet you're glad that's over Stew :)

It's a good job there's a masking set included - if I'd done it manually I'd have masked those little framed bits on the top too and gone insane :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The masking set is certainly a must for such "green-house" canopies. I always buy one for aircraft with such canopies.

Good job again on the canopy masking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

I bet you're glad that's over Stew :)

It's a good job there's a masking set included - if I'd done it manually I'd have masked those little framed bits on the top too and gone insane :doh:

You're not wrong mate, I hadn't been looking forward to the masking at all but it was surprisingly painless once I got started - I would have masked the little squares as well, but I would have been none the wiser so probably wouldn't have felt that bad about it :) 

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

The masking set is certainly a must for such "green-house" canopies. I always buy one for aircraft with such canopies.

Yes I fear I have become lazy as I routinely do my bit to increase the GDP of the Czech Republic by buying mask sets for practically every kit I buy - it was a nice touch by Hasegawa to include this in the kit, along with the crew it does add value to what otherwise might be considered a pretty expensive kit.

16 hours ago, Dazey said:

Great job on the masking (and the crew figures).

Thanks very much mate :) 

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

More masks there than an episode of Zorro but done with verve and aplomb Stew.

Just think of all the fun to come peeling them off again at the end!:frantic:

I'm very much looking forward to that Tony :D

I got the guys installed in the nose section - I'm not sure in real life if there was a dedicated nose-gunner and a bomb/torpedo-aimer or whether the same crewman got both gigs, I suspect the latter but since I have two figures and this is what the instructions recommend, I may as well use them:

DSCN6633.jpg

"I'm getting tired of looking at your backside, Ryuichi"

... and then I fitted the dorsal and waist gunners. The dorsal gunner still has to have his right arm re-attached, and the turret fits with a keyed base-ring much the same way as the turrets on tank kits do, so once the glue has set I can remove the dorsal turret and gunner, and re-install them at the end of construction and painting:

DSCN6636.jpg

Hopefully over the weekend I can get the fuselage halves joined and the nose section attached...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 13

Good job Stew - they're looking very realistic posed like that :)

I'm with you on the mask sets matey - as you taught me some time ago, life's too short for fiddly manual masking, unless the mojo's high.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, TheBaron said:

Your  IJ Formation Highland Dancing team are most beautifully rendered in colour Stew.

Delicious work.

Tony

But I Wonder about the name of the dance for the one with their hands seemingly keeping firmly Something !!

Surely some asiatic custom :bleh::bleh:

Hello stew, I confirm, still a pleasure and enlightment to see you and Emily play !

Sincerely

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

DSCN6633.jpg

"I'm getting tired of looking at your backside, Ryuichi"

:

Hello Stew,

I burst in laugh ! make me thinking about this one seen on my last trip in UK

WP_20171110_07_26_16_Pro

Seemingly, the japanese were once again far ahead for this Uhm Can't say Nothing more !!

Did anyone of you know these filtering garments are working ???:coolio::coolio:

Sorry I can't resist... Once again... I know.....:hmmm:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Yes I fear I have become lazy as I routinely do my bit to increase the GDP of the Czech Republic by buying mask sets for practically every kit I buy - it was a nice touch by Hasegawa to include this in the kit, along with the crew it does add value to what otherwise might be considered a pretty expensive kit.

I saw one of these going on ebay for a very nice price, then I remembered all the glazing on it from this thread and decided not to put in a bid!

On 11/24/2017 at 8:03 AM, CedB said:

I'm with you on the mask sets matey - as you taught me some time ago, life's too short for fiddly manual masking

If a masking set exists, my question is only: would I pay that much money to have someone do the masking for me? The answer is almost invariably "Of course, I'm not a masochist"

On 11/24/2017 at 9:47 PM, corsaircorp said:

WP_20171110_07_26_16_Pro

Seemingly, the japanese were once again far ahead for this Uhm Can't say Nothing more !!

I am not surprised you are lost for words CC, I can't believe that isn't a joke... or that anyone's "one and only real problem" in life is flatulence. Still, if they are real I might see if I can get a pair for my dog... :lol:

I remembered to fit the throttle boxes to the roof of the cabin, I painted the knobs random colours safe in the knowledge that probably no-one who knows what colour they actually were will ever see this:

DSCN6638.jpg

Then I joined the fuselage halves: I used a little Citadel Liquid Green Stuff to disguise the seam as (I suspect due to my cack-handedness) it wasn't quite seamless:

DSCN6639.jpg

Then I attached the canopy, nose turret;

DSCN6644.jpg

... and the tail turret transparencies (note the snapped-off cannon barrel, I have it safely stashed away ready for re-attachment later):

DSCN6643.jpg

As you may see I now have a plethora of small windows to fit, and at this point I no longer feel guilty about buying the Eduard mask set for the little windows that the Hasegawa mask set does not cover. Yeah, and I'd do it again, see?

Got the day off tomorrow as I am working Saturday this week but the dog is booked in for a haircut and I might hopefully be picking up my new glasses so progress is not assured but I am hopeful.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Hello Stew !

Very and tidy work on your flying boat !:yes:

I must say, I first see the Add on the ferry and then in the services on the motorway...

Knowing that this is barely believable, I take a shot....

Using it for the dogs is a clever idea !! I let to your imagination what a great dane can do :P

Can't xait to see Emily in the gallery ! you did a brilliant kit !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gentlemen :)

Somewhere in my living room there is a small piece of clear plastic, approximately 2mm x 2mm, not quite square and not quite flat. I know it's somewhere in my living room as it is not fitted to the nose section of the Emily, as God, Nature and Hasegawa intended. Not only did it ping out of the tweezers grip in the general direction of 'somewhere to my right' but it did so with a liberal application of Gator's Grip glue along each edge, so I cannot even assume it is on the floor and not attached to the wallpaper/curtain/lampshade etc.

Obviously not best pleased at that turn of events, but the window-hole on the Emily's nose is small enough to have a replacement window made of PVA/Kristal Klear/whatevs. I used Gator's Grip because I happened to have it in my grasp at the time, however I am still (though diminishingly) hopeful of finding the original at some point; this optimism also gives me the excuse not to hoover this weekend :D 

I did get all the other windows fitted and, over the course of a few grindingly uninteresting sessions, the masking done. Some of the Eduard masks for the fuselage windows seem to be a bit approximate in size to the parts they are supposed to cover, but I will wait to see before passing judgement. Anyway this is the current state of play:

DSCN6647.jpg

The eagle-eyed amongst you may also observe that I have blanked the upper turret opening with a bit of old washing-up sponge, and those amongst you with ESP may know that I have similarly masked the starboard waist gun position.

I think the next stage is to spray the canopies with a darkened mix of the interior colour, add the remaining fixed parts to the fuselage, attach the tail surfaces and wings temporarily for priming, and priming - all of which I hope to do before the weekend, but don't actually expect to due to the fact I will be in the pub (with the dog, of course) most of the day tomorrow to celebrate the third anniversary of my arrival in Dundee.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Beard's First Law of Modelling states: a lost piece of a kit will be found but only once the modeller has given up all hope of finding it and has scratch-built a replacement part or bought a replacement kit.

Beard's Second Law of Modelling states: a lost piece of a kit will be found in the place the modeller least expected but only when the modeller has ceased to search for it.

Enjoy your day in the pub, you deserve it after all that masking. I wish I could spend Saturday in a pub but I'll have hoovering to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I see the "Carpet Monster" has arisen again Stew.

Damned unfortunate sir but at least it can be fixed.

And as Beard said, bound to turn up once the part has been built.

All looking good there mate.

Happy times down the pub :drink:

Simon.

• Like 1

Losing parts is frustrating. Losing a part you have spent who knows how long making is downright annoying. Even more so when Beard's laws come into play as they invariably do.

This is looking the biz alright. It will look even better when you have the paint on. That must be a rather large model - where will you put it when it is finished?

P

• Like 1

I've not caught up with this for a bit, I'm impressed to pieces with what I'm seeing Stew, your attention to detail far surpasses mine, not that that is hard. I'm enjoying this as a proxy build, seeing as I'm unlikely ever to buy one of these I fear. I'll try not to go awol for as long next time. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2017 at 5:42 AM, Stew Dapple said:

a plethora of small windows

That sounds like it should have been an early Pink Floyd track to me!:D

That is a pretty humungous slab of aircraft that  you have on your hands there Stew and I'm mightily impressed by the skills you've brought to bear upon it. Your patience with the masking alone is exemplary.

I'm most looking forward to seeing this under paint.

Bravo!

Tony

• Like 2

I've feared investigating this Group Build as I missed the first month or so and I knew I'd be 'off the back' of most of the builds, but I'm all caught up with this one now Stew! Well worth it.

I love the hive of activity encased within the giant fuselage, and the WIP is the only place to see it.

• Like 1

Thanks very much gents; I've been very impressed with the kit so far and I hope it will turn out okay, though I am conscious of the clock ticking now, as a fair amount of the time off I have for Christmas will be spent away...

On 12/8/2017 at 9:23 PM, pheonix said:

That must be a rather large model - where will you put it when it is finished?

It is pretty big - the kit is engineered in such a way that the wings can be removed and re-fitted to the spars as required; I was initially sceptical but have now tried it and - in the absence of paint to spoil the fit at least - it works very well. Mine willl be stored wingless until such a time as I can dispose of it appropriately :D 

I sprayed the clear parts in the interior colour and began adding the remaining parts - in this case, what I imagine is the air scoop for the cockpit area:

DSCN6652.jpg

... the various strakes and fins on the underside:

DSCN6654.jpg

... and the little beaching trolley, I've left the wheels off as I think it willl simplify things to paint them separately and add them later:

DSCN6656.jpg

Hasegawa show where the rigging for the wing-mounted floats attach by means of some little dimples, I drilled these out as I think I can do the rigging more easily if I can attach it at the wing end and pull the thread through the holes in the upper float part, then fix it from the inside:

DSCN6650.jpg

DSCN6649.jpg

Still quite a few bits to assemble and fix, but I hope to get more done at the weekend...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9