Hasegawa 1/72 Kawanishi H8K2 'Emily' (new tool)

Thank you gentlemen :D - Ced, the second time that I was hit by a car that "didn't see" me I resolved to shut that particular loophole by applying reflective stickers to my cycling helmet and several feet of reflective tape to my bicycle. So far it appears to have worked, touch wood :) I'd still prefer an IJN flying helmet and goggles though, and I'd accept the increased risk it might bring :lol:

I got the flight suits and life-jackets painted, these were then given a dark-brown wash (Citadel Agrax Earthshade):

DSCN6590.jpg

The lifejackets were then highlighted in a slightly lightened mix of the original brown (I did most of the lifejackets in a khaki colour apart from three which I did in a more greenish shade, I still have to mix and highlight those ones):

DSCN6593.jpg

Gloves next, as I didn't follow Philp's sage advice and drill a hole for a pin or cocktail stick for ease of handling, consequently the helmets and boots will be done last to avoid rubbing the paint of while using these parts as 'handles'...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I didn't follow Philp's sage advice and drill a hole for a pin or cocktail stick for ease of handling

Well, I think it was very considerate of you not to do that to those poor fellows. I dare not imagine how uncomfortable it might be; something straight out of Deliverance.

(The figures are looking excellent --and possibly slightly relieved? -- by the way.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good grief Stew, you've been hit twice?! No wonder you're making yourself as visible as possible, I don't blame you!

Nice work on the figures (as usual), they're 'coming alive'...

• Like 1

Stew, I have just caught this build and very impressive indeed.

Money well spent I would say, with a lot of detail inside.

But the pit fall with these kits as you said is that a lot of hard work is never really seen once the kit is built.

Still, I will follow along if I may.

Simon.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this thread. There is a huge amount of lovely detail here - not least the figures, and the interior painting is extremely well don. It is so frustrating though when all that work is done and so little wil be visible when the model is finished.

Finding a home for completed large models is also a problem- which is why I do not make many. This GB is an exception for me.

P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents :) It doesn't really bother me that the majority of the figures will, at best, be dimly seen, sometimes it's nice to do stuff purely for your own amusement or interest...

Speaking of whom, here is a representative bunch of the crew, nearly finished now:

DSCN6599.jpg

Just the boots and a little detail highlighting on the lifejacket straps and gloves to go, hopefully I should get them finished by the end of the weekend and then I get to the really fun stuff - canopy masking :huh:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Great stuff Stew - as usual, they're looking very realistic :)

It was lovely to meet you at SMW and I hope the journey back wasn't too arduous... hopefully next time we meet I won't be so tired and we can have a beer (or two!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

It doesn't really bother me that the majority of the figures will, at best, be dimly seen, sometimes it's nice to do stuff purely for your own amusement or interest...

That's the spirit, Stew! :thumbsup:

Great work on the figures!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks gents :D

I got the crew (mostly) finished and (mostly) installed:

DSCN6603.jpg

I scaled down and printed a map of Oceania for the chap who is waiting for his dinner to look at, but I might as well have just cut a small rectangle of pale blue paper:

DSCN6610.jpg

Oh well; no-one will see it. I fixed the tailgunner in position:

DSCN6619.jpg

... which just leaves the nose, waist and dorsal guuners, who were partially deconstructed so I can (at least try to) make them interact with the weapons they are supposed to be manning:

DSCN6621.jpg

However as intimated above, before I can do that I need to mask and fit some of the transparencies and guns...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

On 11/20/2017 at 5:30 AM, Beard said:

The figures are very well moulded but your painting has really brought them to life.

Thanks Simon - the first part of your statement has a great bearing on the second; it's much easier to paint well-moulded figures than amorphous blobs and these figures are exceptionally well done. I was very pleased to see that Hasegawa appear to be about to release the figures as a stand-alone set in January, if so they would be a great addition for those of us who would habitually use crew figures if only they were provided...

On 11/20/2017 at 9:17 AM, CedB said:

Great stuff Stew, as usual.

Gosh, that's a big cannon for the tail gunner isn't it?

Good luck with the masking - much mojo required I guess :)

Thanks Ced. It's a massive cannon, he must have felt like a god.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:49 PM, jrlx said:

The interior with the crew in their seats looks really good! Great detail work on the figures!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks very much Jaime, it's been an easy and pleasant build so far and I'm pleased with the progress.

I did a certain amount of mojo-gathering and loin-girding and came up with these:

DSCN6627.jpg

Top is the two halves of the tail turret, bottom left the nose glazing and bottom right the dorsal turret transparency. The masks provided by Hasegawa are very high quality and were a pleasure to use - as far as pleasure is a relevant term when masking canopies, anyway :D 

I also got the side-blister gun positions done; the left will be closed up:

DSCN6624.jpg

... and the right, which will have the gunner figure, open and ready for action:

DSCN6622.jpg

That's most of the main glazing pieces now, all that's left are little individual windows, apart from this big greenhouse that sits on the cockpit:

DSCN6629.jpg

I hope I can muster the energy to do that tonight. After that I'll be installng the waist and dorsal gunners and joining the fuselage halves.

In other news, one day after fitting the tail-gun position to the fuselage I have broken the cannon barrel :( Re-arrange the words "happen an accident to waiting". I think I might cut the remaining barrels off at an appropriate junction and re-attach them at the end...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Ced. It's a massive cannon, he must have felt like a god.

The Japanese take quite a pasting for the almost unbelievable levels of flammability they found acceptable in large bombers and transport aircraft, but it must be said, they yielded to pretty much no one when it came to defensive armament. The tail gunner on the EMILY was lucky; on a BETTY, the waist gunners had to manually position their cannon and brace it against their shoulders. Ow.

• Like 4

On 20/11/2017 at 5:04 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks gents :D

I got the crew (mostly) finished and (mostly) installed:

DSCN6603.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

Great work Stew

Don't forget to put a net and the white lines on the ping pong table before you finish, it might also be nice if he has someone at the other end to play with ! ;)

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 11/20/2017 at 9:17 AM, CedB said:

Gosh, that's a big cannon for the tail gunner isn't it?

That's why he's so popular with the ladies (or laddies perhaps!) :kissing2:

Edited by Gav G
  • Haha 2

I thou

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Don't forget to put a net and the white lines on the ping pong table before you finish, it might also be nice if he has someone at the other end to play with ! ;)

I think the guy from the other end has gone to get the equipment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2017 at 5:10 AM, Procopius said:

The tail gunner on the EMILY was lucky; on a BETTY, the waist gunners had to manually position their cannon and brace it against their shoulders. Ow.

It's a similar situation for the Emily's nose and waist gunners too; 20mm cannon with a stiff-looking shoulder-pad, but they are at least provided with a fixed mounting...

On 11/22/2017 at 5:59 AM, Biggles87 said:

I hope you're wearing your extra strength spectacles

Haha thanks John, I was using a pair of 3,5 magnification reading glasses from the pound shop :D 

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the masking Stew, proper job

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good masking job, Stew!

Thanks Ced, Jaime, with the mask set included it was merely a test of patience rather than an awful chore which is what it would have been without the mask set. It would be great if Hasegawa make this a feature in future releases, especially for some of the larger Japanese WWII aircraft which are pretty 'window-intensive'...

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Don't forget to put a net and the white lines on the ping pong table before you finish, it might also be nice if he has someone at the other end to play with !

Damn that was a wasted opportunity, I wish I had done that now :lol:

7 hours ago, Gav G said:

That's why he's so popular with the ladies (or laddies perhaps!)

Personally I think the attraction is based on his IJN flying hat, but others may draw their own conclusions...

Anyway, this:

DSCN6632.jpg

That's it, the only remaining masking is for individual fuselage windows and while there are plenty of them, and some of them are tiny, they cannot intimidate the bold modeller in the same way that the item above can, and did. As mentioned above I was profoundly grateful to Hasegawa for including the mask set, I think most modellers would think twice - at least - about whether they had the mojo to complete a kit like this when they got to the masking stage otherwise.

I have to fit the roof-mounted throttle console to the inside of that un-masked patch of canopy, then I can install the gunners, close up the fuselage and get this thing moving again... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10