1/72 Airfix Hussars

FredG

This is a set of Airfix British Hussars. The flash on these was quite bad but I wanted to test out a different paint (ink) on a set of horses.
I cleaned them off reasonably well and the paint job on the animals I was quite pleased with. Needless to say I'll be using it again on other sets. The legs were re-sculptureds to remove the cavalry boots and have them in campaign trousers .I then split the set to 7th and 18th Hussars and I was pleasantly surprised how well they turned out. These Airfix sets have been around for 40+ years and the modern manufactured sets of Zvesda, Italeri, Hat and even Esci are recognised widely to be so much better.

31744911003_1e4f4c1d01_b.jpg

The figures are a little on the large side for the horses and I suppose even for the scale but they look fine on display

• Like 4

Thanks Fred looking over your work has given me some inspiration to have a go at these little fellows,just ordered 2 sets both Zvezda, 1 is kit 6812 French Dragoons and the other is kit 6810 French Foot Artillery,did not want to go big to start just see how my old eyes hold out,will be about 10 days before I see them their coming from your part of the World.Cheers.

Jim, there are some out of production sets that you can get down there that are not available up here unless we pay a ridiculous shipping fee.

Zvezda has gone but the sets are mostly still available and very good.

This is a useful site for 1/72 figure reviews

I use a cheap magnifying head set (x3 lens) to help my old eyes.

Hint: Sepia wash is very useful :yes::D 

Warning. Buying is much faster than painting, you'll need space for yet another stash. MrsG says If I don't paint up all my stash/es before I pop my clogs she'll kill me :worry:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, FredG said:

Jim, there are some out of production sets that you can get down there that are not available up here unless we pay a ridiculous shipping fee.

Zvezda has gone but the sets are mostly still available and very good.

This is a useful site for 1/72 figure reviews

I use a cheap magnifying head set (x3 lens) to help my old eyes.

Hint: Sepia wash is very useful :yes::D 

Warning. Buying is much faster than painting, you'll need space for yet another stash. MrsG says If I don't paint up all my stash/es before I pop my clogs she'll kill me :worry:

Thanks for the info,I did find that site and yes I did read that it was best to use a brown wash on these little fellows,you are right buying is fast,but I can build and paint faster than the mail service,but thats what happens when you live on the bottom of the world,dont tell my better half what I have she will find out when (I pop my clogs)Cheers Jim.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...