BV222 - she's a big'un!!!!

I agree on the wood effect....really lovely and warm.  I usually go for more tonal variations than grain, but if I di want grain, I use an old brush that is missing some hair which also creates a nice grainy look.

Maybe you should should make a fuselage cut-out so the interior is visible?

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year folks - hope you've all had a great Christmas and that Santa was kind to you all with goodies to continue to top up the stash lol

I'm back to give you an update on the BV where progress had slowed as a result of the festive period but I've tried to soldier on so that I can eventually show you the completed fruits of my labours.  Alas at this point, I think it is safe to say that she won't be ready for the GB closing date but I'll get her completed as soon as possible as you've all been so supportive in pushing me on to completion.

So, I've managed to get the wings completed including engines and casings and the entire fuselage has been completed with some filling and sanding of a few seams.  You'll see in the photos below that the wings just need to be attached and then she will be one complete airframe.  I have to say at this point that the fit of the parts generally has been excellent and although she is massive, I've had much less hassle than you might have had with something a fifth of her size.

I've got a couple of bits and pieces to finish and then the whole thing will be ready for a coat of primer and a defect check and then I can start getting her painted up and completed.  I'm looking forward to finally getting to the point I can get some paint on her especially as I am doing the winter camo scheme which should add a nice contrast to the usual 70/71 combo.

So here's where she stands to date:

DSC00177

DSC00184

DSC00185

DSC00186

DSC00188

DSC00189

DSC00190

DSC00192

DSC00193

DSC00194

DSC00196

DSC00197

DSC00198

DSC00199

• Like 9

A Happy New Year too!

Excellent progress and the model looks impressive!

Don't worry about the GB end date. There's no point in rushing the build and ending up with an unsatisfactory result. You can continue to update your thread even after the GB ends.

Cheers

Jaime

On 03/01/2018 at 10:50 PM, jrlx said:

A Happy New Year too!

Excellent progress and the model looks impressive!

Don't worry about the GB end date. There's no point in rushing the build and ending up with an unsatisfactory result. You can continue to update your thread even after the GB ends.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for that Jaime - much appreciated.  I'll try to keep to the deadline as much as possible but like you say I would like to do it justice rather than rush it.

Best wishes 

Kris

• Like 1

Hi Kris, ( @planecrazee )

If you haven't noticed already, this is just to let you know that the GB deadline has been extended one week, until 14 January 2018, 23:59 GMT.

So,there's some more time for you to try and finish your build :)

Cheers

Jaime

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Kris, ( @planecrazee )

If you haven't noticed already, this is just to let you know that the GB deadline has been extended one week, until 14 January 2018, 23:59 GMT.

So,there's some more time for you to try and finish your build :)

Cheers

Jaime

That's music to my ears Jaime - I'm even more determined to get her finished now - thank you for letting me know.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pheonix said:

That is hugely impressive! Please do not rush this - it is just too good to spoil for the sake of a few days. I am really looking forward to seeing this monster completed though....

P

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Pheonix - I don't want to rush it but now I know I've got an extra week then I would love to get her finished with everyone else's excellent builds for the final line up

Kris

• Like 1

That is a wonderful build Kris and as with the other comments, don't spoil it now by rushing.

This will certainly be both an inspiration and a reference thread for the time when I try to put this beast together.

Great modelling - and a Happy New Year to You and Yours

Regards

Andrew

7 hours ago, SeaPlane said:

That is a wonderful build Kris and as with the other comments, don't spoil it now by rushing.

This will certainly be both an inspiration and a reference thread for the time when I try to put this beast together.

Great modelling - and a Happy New Year to You and Yours

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - really appreciate your feedback.

Hi folks,

Quick question to tap into your vast wealth of knowledge.  I'm currently at the point where I'm going to start getting some paint on my BV222 for the Flying Boat GB (cutting it fine I know) but the Revell instructions refer to the two tone camo as being RLM 72 &73 rather than the usual 70 & 71.

However, looking into 72 & 73 I'm having trouble trying to decipher what shades these should be and which manufacturer might have the best paint colour match.  Revell would have you mix paints to create these colours but I'm trying to avoid mixing as much as possible as I'll need a fair amount of paint and don't want to be in a situation where I run out and then can't make the exact shade again.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

6 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Hi folks,

Quick question to tap into your vast wealth of knowledge.  I'm currently at the point where I'm going to start getting some paint on my BV222 for the Flying Boat GB (cutting it fine I know) but the Revell instructions refer to the two tone camo as being RLM 72 &73 rather than the usual 70 & 71.

However, looking into 72 & 73 I'm having trouble trying to decipher what shades these should be and which manufacturer might have the best paint colour match.  Revell would have you mix paints to create these colours but I'm trying to avoid mixing as much as possible as I'll need a fair amount of paint and don't want to be in a situation where I run out and then can't make the exact shade again.

My recommendation would be to use Colourcoats by Sovereign Hobbies if you're willing and able to work with Enamels. They're scrupulous about colour-matching and the paint performs quite well as a general rule. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Dornier Do-24 has the same camo. I'll be using Tamiya XF-26 and XF-27 for RLM 72 and 73, respectively. I found this correspondence somewhere in the internet and the colours and their tonal relations don't look too bad.

Cheers

Jaime

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

My Dornier Do-24 has the same camo. I'll be using Tamiya XF-26 and XF-27 for RLM 72 and 73, respectively. I found this correspondence somewhere in the internet and the colours and their tonal relations don't look too bad.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime,

Thank you so much for getting back to me on this - that's brilliant.  It will mean I'll have to order these paints as it's always the ones you need that you don't have (Sod's law)!!!  I just wish I'd noticed this sooner on the instructions as I would have ordered these much sooner.  I'll get these ordered today and hope to still make some progress towards the weekend - looking like it will be impossible for me to get her finished for the GB now but I'll still keep going so I can show everyone the result.

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, planecrazee said:

and hope to still make some progress towards the weekend - looking like it will be impossible for me to get her finished for the GB now but I'll still keep going so I can show everyone the result.

Please do, I'll be most interested in seeing the completed build. I have one of these in the stash, which I bought due to your build thread, and hope to build it one day in the future!

Cheers

Jaime

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

Please do, I'll be most interested in seeing the completed build. I have one of these in the stash, which I bought due to your build thread, and hope to build it one day in the future!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime - hopefully I'll be able to do it justice to inspire you for your build.

• Like 1

Sorry folks - as you can see I wasn't able to make the deadline for the GB despite the extension.  I just wasn't able to make enough time back from when we moved house and the to do list on the BV just never seems to get any shorter.

A big thanks to hosting the build Jaime - there are some cracking builds so I'll get my vote in asap for my favourite.

Also Jaime, as I am committed to getting the build completed, I wondered if you could look into what needs to happen to get the thread transferred to the WIP so I can keep everyone in the loop with my progress.

Many thanks once again and good luck to everyone in the poll

Kris

Hi Kris,

Good to know you'll carry on with the build. Please send a PM to Enzo. I think he can move the thread for you.

Cheers

Jaime

Tamiya Luftwaffe mixes:

LUFTWAFFE
RLM 02: XF22:1 + XF49:1 + XF2:2
RLM 04: XF3:7 + XF7:1
RLM 65: XF23:2 + XF2:1
RLM 66: XF24 Straight from the bottle.
RLM 70: XF27 Straight from the bottle, OR XF27:3 + XF49:1 (slightly faded effect).
RLM 71: XF81 straight from the bottle, OR XF61:1 + XF49:1
RLM 73 XF24:2 + XF27:3, lightened with a touch of white
RLM 74: XF2:3 + XF24: 2 + XF27:1
RLM 75: XF2:7 + XF24:3 + XF27:.5 (yup, half a drop!)
RLM 76: XF2:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2
RLM 78: XF23:4 + XF50:1
RLM 79: XF59:3 + XF64:1
RLM 80: XF58:6 + XF2:1
RLM 81: XF51:1 + XF64:2 OR Dunkelgrun = XF61:7 + XF60:3 (FS34083)
RLM 82: XF5:1 +XF3:1 (Bright Green)
RLM 83: XF5 Straight from the bottle.

Chris

• Thanks 1