BV222 - she's a big'un!!!!

11 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great start, Kris! The size of the beast is impressive! I like the instrument panel :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for that Jaime and you're absolutely right - beast is the best word to describe the size!!!  The instrument panel isn't perfect but I still feel it's better than having used the decals and tbh having looked in the instructions there's loads of detail that just gets lost once the fuselage is closed up so I'll see how I go in terms of how much of the interior I do especially as there's so much exterior lol

Kris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick up date folks.  As I eluded to earlier on in this WIP, we are currently in the middle of a house move and as much as I've tried to hold out, it's now become impossible for me to continue with this build in the short term.

I just wanted to keep you all in the loop so you didn't think I'd abandoned the build and I'm hoping to be back up and running towards the end of this month.  I'll be in my new 'man cave/modelling room' by then as a result of the house move so I should hopefully be able to get cracking and make up for lost time throughout November.

Wish you all good look with your builds in the meantime - there's some excellent model building going on so far and I'm with you all the way.

So pleased to see some Walrus' making it into the GB - must get mine ordered as a matter of urgency if I can sneak it past SHMBO lol

Speak soon

Kris

• Like 5

Thanks for letting us know, Kris. Wish you the best in the new home. Looking forward to you getting back to the build.

Cheers

Jaime

10 hours ago, jrlx said:

Thanks for letting us know, Kris. Wish you the best in the new home. Looking forward to you getting back to the build.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime - hopefully things will go smoothly and I'll be back up and running in no time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this progress. 

I too was going to do the BV222 for this GB after being gifted it by a very generous club mate but unfortunately my being laid off earlier this year meant we had to pull out of a house purchase with a massive two car garage which was to be mine, aaaaall mine! But as it stands my little modelling room is just too small for the beast and it has been relegated to the attic. 

As such I fear I shall be living vicariously through yourself. 

1 hour ago, Blastvader said:

Looking forward to seeing this progress. 

I too was going to do the BV222 for this GB after being gifted it by a very generous club mate but unfortunately my being laid off earlier this year meant we had to pull out of a house purchase with a massive two car garage which was to be mine, aaaaall mine! But as it stands my little modelling room is just too small for the beast and it has been relegated to the attic. 

As such I fear I shall be living vicariously through yourself. 

Hi blast - thank you for your vote of confidence.

Really sorry to hear about you being laid off and your house move falling through - life can be really crap at times!!!

In that case - I'll do this build as a tribute to your resilience and hopefully do you proud.

The hold up on the build had been due to us moving house which is happening as of 26 October. I'm hoping we can get everything ship shape over that weekend so I can get back to work on the BV wk commencing 30 October so fingers crossed. I hope this is the case as the withdrawal from modelling is unbearable!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally back to BM folks after our house move - normal service has been resumed.:thumbsup::yahoo:

I am now fortunate to have a dedicated 'man cave' for myself as a result of the move so I can keep out of the way of SWMBO. I'll post a few pics of my space in the near future.

Right - back to the BV.  I've been making a fair bit of progress on the interiors and now have an almost complete cockpit.   I don't really know why I've bothered with the detailing in the cockpit as I doubt any of it will be seen but the OCD in me means it has to be done lol.  The two story fuselage interior is near enough complete (just need to glue it all together) and I've virtually completed the two halves of the fuselage.

I'm working away furiously to try and make up for lost time and I'll try and do my best to get her finished in time for the closing of the group build so fingers crossed!!!

So here's what I've been up to in the last few days:

DSC00139

DSC00140

DSC00141

DSC00142

DSC00144

DSC00145

DSC00148

DSC00149

Hope to have an update for you soon with hopefully more pics to follow.

Good luck to everyone in their ongoing builds - there's some cracking work going on at the moment.

Kris

Edited by planecrazee
  • Like 11

Great to have you back, Kris! The interior is very well done! Congrats! :clap2:

By the way, I also have an OCD regarding aircraft interiors, even when nothing of almost nothing will be visible in the finished model. But we shouldn't fight against our most natural self :D

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Jaime

32 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Great to have you back, Kris! The interior is very well done! Congrats! :clap2:

By the way, I also have an OCD regarding aircraft interiors, even when nothing of almost nothing will be visible in the finished model. But we shouldn't fight against our most natural self :D

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for the welcome back Jaime.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with OCD - I think we're probably all a bit crazy the lengths we go to in satisfying our modelling compulsions lol

Hope to have another update for you asap  

Many thanks

Kris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Great work on the interior. Looks to be beast alright, at least size-wise.

Regards,

David

Thanks David

She's definitely a beast - I'm trying not to think about where I'm going to put it when it's finished!!!!

Kris

Evening Kris

Congrats on the move and setting up the new homestead so quickly.  Some great work here - even if the interior is never seen again.

Like many others, I too have this one in the 'to be built' pile so if you work out 'where to put it when its finished' could you explain it all to the rest of us!!  I've already used up all the large spaces available for a Shim Meiwa SS2, Be 6, Sea Master, Emily and Mavis and there's a Marlin, BV222, Shackleton ........ etc still to do!!

Looking forward to further clues on how to get this right

Regards

Andrew

On 30/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, SeaPlane said:

Evening Kris

Congrats on the move and setting up the new homestead so quickly.  Some great work here - even if the interior is never seen again.

Like many others, I too have this one in the 'to be built' pile so if you work out 'where to put it when its finished' could you explain it all to the rest of us!!  I've already used up all the large spaces available for a Shim Meiwa SS2, Be 6, Sea Master, Emily and Mavis and there's a Marlin, BV222, Shackleton ........ etc still to do!!

Looking forward to further clues on how to get this right

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for your feedback. I think the wife might have something to say if I suggest building an extension on our new house already but that may be the only way to fit the BV in when she's finished lol

14 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks Andrew for your feedback. I think the wife might have something to say if I suggest building an extension on our new house already but that may be the only way to fit the BV in when she's finished lol

Kris

You could gang it from the ceiling over the top of the stair and dry the washing on it. Two advantages 

1. You get to admire your handy work on a regular basis, and

2. You cut back on the use of the tumble dryer 

Either way it's a result !

Cheers Pat

Enjoying this build as I also picked up one of these for a steal at a show.

For you and any others out there that may be interested Obsucreco does a stabilizer correction set.  Chris is here in the US so not sure shipping damage across the pond but his stuff is pretty darn nice.

I have no affiliation with the company though have met Chris as several US Nats and like the fellow.

http://obscureco.com/product_pages/OBS72015/OBS72015.html

Looking forward to more of your build.

• Like 1

Been trying to make some more progress on the BV and have now got to the point where I have got her sealed up - this is when the size really hits you - and this is without the wings:frantic:

So here's the progress to date:

DSC00153

DSC00155

DSC00156

DSC00158

DSC00159

DSC00160

DSC00162

DSC00163

DSC00164

Also - I did say that I would share some pics of my new modelling man cave - which is still a work in progress - but at least I finally have a space to myself where I can't upset SHMBO lol.  This is where I'm up to so far:

DSC00166

DSC00168

I also thought I would join in the spirit of showing off my stash like @The Spadgent which now has it's very own space unlike previously.  I think I may have one or two more models than I thought.... ooops!!  Never mind - it'll give me a goal to aim for in trying to get them all built lol

DSC00171

DSC00173

DSC00170

DSC00169

DSC00174

The last pic shows my 'shelf of doom' which isn't too bad to be fair.  It currently contains a Revell 1/48 Stuka - almost finished, a Revell Halifax 1/72, Airfix Sea King 1/72, Revell Chaika 1/72, Airfix Supermarine Swift 1/72 and the excellent little Airfix Tiger Moth 1/72....... phew - maybe plenty to be getting on with!!!!  

However - must crack on with the BV - hope to have an update for you all very soon - happy modelling in the meantime. :thumbsup:

Kris

• Like 9

Excellent interior you got on your BV222, very well done! It's a pity it won't be visible but we know it's there :) I especially liked the wood effect you achieved on the table tops. How did you do that?

Nice workbench and stash. I have several of those kits in my stash.

Cheers

Jaime

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent interior you got on your BV222, very well done! It's a pity it won't be visible but we know it's there :) I especially liked the wood effect you achieved on the table tops. How did you do that?

Nice workbench and stash. I have several of those kits in my stash.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for your feedback and I totally agree Jaime - we know all the detail is there and that's all that matters lol

The wood effect is just a pale base coat of acrylic - a creamy yellowy colour is always good - and then left to dry.  Then using oils such as raw umber you can paint over the acrylic and use your paint brush to help create brush strokes in the paint that double up as wood grain.  I've used this technique a few times and I think it always produces a fairly realistic 'scale' effect.

Kris

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, planecrazee said:

The wood effect is just a pale base coat of acrylic - a creamy yellowy colour is always good - and then left to dry.  Then using oils such as raw umber you can paint over the acrylic and use your paint brush to help create brush strokes in the paint that double up as wood grain.  I've used this technique a few times and I think it always produces a fairly realistic 'scale' effect.

Thanks for the explanation! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jaime

7 hours ago, Mike said:

You've made a nice job of the interior, and there's a decent amount of detail in there for OOB.  I wish I'd robbed Jockney's spare now! :cwl:

What a struck of luck its still available :wicked:

Forgot to mention its the Airmodel Vacform one :rofl2: