608 Sqd Mosquito XVI / Barry Blunt book - info request?

Rabbit Leader

A good friend of mine is searching for information relating to 608 Squadrons late war Mosquito Mk. XVI's and their markings circa May 1945 / last raid over Kiel. 

We are aware of a recently found nose view photograph of what we believe to be RV351 (358?) and possibly coded 6T-V? This aircraft has been verified (I think?) as dropping the last bomb over Germany during WW2. 

Internet searches for images of 608 Mossies appear to be non existent. Does anyone know of any publications that may show a typical machine of this era. 

I also found an author by the name of Barry Blunt who published a series of 8PFF Mosquito Squadron books in the late nineties.

Does anyone have a copy of his 608 Sqd book and can advise if any photographs within this publication are present? 

Lastly any information regarding this aircrafts nose art would be most welcome. Anything to help solve this mystery would also be very helpful indeed. 

Ill post some photos shortly - just having my Father's Day dinner!! 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

Kiel raid

Edited by Rabbit Leader
photo added after belly filled
  • Like 3

Ian Thirsk: De Havilland Mosquito: An Illustrated History Vol.2 p.87: photo of Mosquito B.XX KB358 6T-J, Downham Market, 20/2/45 with pilot F/L "Jake" Jacobs and nav F/L Pete Hobbs.  Arr with 608 Sq Nov 1944, intially coded as 6T-L, by Jan 1945 6T-B (20th mission), last (49th) mission 30 Mar 1945 when it was damaged and Struck Off Charge 3 May 1945.  Similar shot but from other side of nose.  No distinguishing markings.  Paddle blade props.  Underwing tank but not apparently as big as the ones in your photo.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that Seahawk. I probably won't be able to source the book myself however it's good to know that at least some photos now exist. Not sure if you are in a position to scan and post a copy of this photo, however it would good to see if the squadron codes are visible and if they have any distinctive stokes of are just 'standard' fare? 

Once again - thanks and regards.. Dave. 

Hello Rabbit Leader . Just come across this thread. I too was after the 608 Sdqn book by Barry Blunt but out of print and hard to get. However a kind soul on the mossie.org forum sent me the books listing of Mosquito's used by the squadron.

Now in the photograph of V Victor notice the camouflage  extending down the cowlings and rear fuselage which was used on Percival built aircraft in the PF serial range. The only V Victor coded aircraft I have is PF483. which came from 128 squadron in 25 March 1945 and flew 15 operations . It went to 16 OTU on 01 Sept 1945. The 4,000lb Cookie bomb trolley is coded F2D   from the Lancaster Squadron 635 based on the airfield for Lancaster D-Dog I suppose there was an exchange of ground equipment.

You need a copy  of "Strike Hard" RAF Downham Market and its Squadrons" by John B Hilling  Alan Sutton Publishing 1995. There are a couple of Mosquito nose shots with dull red codes  and long-range wing tanks. Hope this is of assistance to you glad too help.

this may be of interest  https://www.downhamweb.co.uk/ww2-raf-airman-returns-downham-market-70-years/

Edited by T-21
corrections
  • Like 1

T-21 many thanks for your post and additional links. My mate and I had discussed the Percival built Mossies and their lower demarcation lines, however the bomb trolley codes and newer source of book is news to us and a great addition into seeking additional details. Thanks also for checking through your resources for a possible 'V' aircraft. It's a shame it doesn't line up with RV351? however that's always bound to happen. 

Once again - cheers and thanks.. Dave

7 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Thanks, for info RV351 was coded R  and RV358 was coded C from the Barry Blunt listing.

Those codes also confirms some other research that we found on other accident websites as both 351 & 358 suffered prangs of some sort within two months after wars end. Still a mystery then in tying in the above photo with logbook listings that appear in this link - http://www.bbc.com/news/education-32608774

Are you aware if the Barry Blunt book has any photographs that may allow one to represent a similar finished 608 Aircraft (i.e. Code font etc)? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave My girl friend lives near Cambridge. I will make a journey soon to view the Barry Blunt book for you at the Downham Visitor Centre and get scans of any 608 Sq Mossies and hopefully a listing of aircraft and crews on the last Kiel raid. I will also contact the guy on the mossie forum to see if he can help.

Edited by T-21
  • Thanks 1