Supermarine Sea Otter

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good progress!

I only use CA (superglue) for glueing etch parts. I've found that CA has a limited usable lifespan after opening. After a few months it starts taking ages to glue things in place and must be replaced. Of course, fingers and such keep getting glued very effectively...

Cheers

Jaime

I must admit I find the same. And it doesn't matter whether it cheap and cheerful or expensive brand leader. I now tend to get a pack of 5 out of the pound shop. I prefer not to use it for small parts as it's too quick and you can end up sticking the part to the tweezers. Or more usually fingers. 

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hello 825,

Interesting looking kit and subject. You mentioned rigging earlier in the thread... will you be pre-drilling holes for that? Do you plan to you thread or stretched sprue?

Good luck with your build!

Regards,

David

Have thought about rigging but the bigger challenge is placmant of the struts. As I've mentioned they are butt fitted to the wings , floats and engine but there are no location points indicated anywhere on the airframe. You can see that on the prepainted wings above. My grand plan is to remove the struts from the sprue one by one, label them with the part number, drill the ends out carefully and insert short metal pins. Once I've worked out the location I'll drill a corresponding hole. The struts for the floats are a bit chunky am deathly I think I might just use wire or plastic rod rather than salvage the kit struts. After that rigging may do me in. If I do rig I'll probably use E-Z Line that I've got a reel of. 

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice paint job on the wings :)

Sorry to hear about your problems with the PE - they're a pain those things.

Thanks Ced, the paint doesn't look too bad, brush painted Xtracrylix. I've got the seat belts sorted and the interior finished, photos to follow, but it looks a bit bare to me. I tried to find some photos on the internet but couldn't find anything. Could do with a radio and radar receiver/screen but I'm not sure of location. 

• Like 3

Cockpit finished and installed. The instrument panel is a bit featureless despite it being a laminate of film and etch. 

resized_c08e216d-3e75-4ad2-87bd-590e2a2b

resized_1bd9eaff-f29d-4e2f-aa35-aa560e07

The IP has come to life with a dry brushing. 

resized_587e2c96-bfdd-433d-88e0-5a86b3c7

The top of the fin needs sawn off and a new part added

resized_4ad36d54-b198-4374-841f-42baa530

The engine assembled. The cylinder pots will come out better with a dry brushing of some gunmetal 

resized_9eb0d144-24c3-424e-833a-55ec0be8

• Like 5

Fuselage closed up and lower wings added. Everything slotted together pretty well. A small amount of filler needed on the spine and the rest of the joints needed a bit of sanding. New upper fin on as well. 

resized_239d6aad-7b59-46d8-954a-958d9e0c

resized_1020907c-3722-43c8-a794-3f87ebda

Upper wing with engine pod added. This was the first thing that needed a bit of work and it might have been done to me. The pod had  a bit of a twist on it and the joints along the bottom and rear weren't good. A sliver of plastic strip sorted the former and some filler and sanding the latter. 

resized_f50c2441-889b-4941-8d45-b292bbff

The engine with a dry brushing. It's a bit dusty as I had to sand the cylinders down a little so the engine fitted into its cowling. Will need a rinse and the ends painted again. 

resized_af7f3ccf-6968-4771-97c8-a4fc0984

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 825

Can I apologise for not getting back to you sooner, despite my best endeavours my Aeroclub Sea Otter is remaining elusive, so I have been unable to send you the strut / rigging drawings.

I will venture deeper into the garage today, as a farmers son I know I haven't let it go, so it has to be in there !

In the meantime you may find the attached handy

cheers Pat

On 05/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi 825

Can I apologise for not getting back to you sooner, despite my best endeavours my Aeroclub Sea Otter is remaining elusive, so I have been unable to send you the strut / rigging drawings.

I will venture deeper into the garage today, as a farmers son I know I haven't let it go, so it has to be in there !

In the meantime you may find the attached handy

cheers Pat

Thanks for the link Pat. Although some of the embedded links didn't work, John Aero's plans are helpful and the picture of the completed Aeroclub vacform gives some good visual reference. Don't be too perturbed as the Sea Otter is sitting in its box till I finish a few others, so no great rush. If you come across them great but don't do yourself in, I can wait. Thanks again 

• 4 weeks later...

Not done very much on this for a few weeks, due to finishing others. Have added the rudder, tidied up the join between the nacelle and the upper wing. Which is the only place I've found any significant fit/seam problem. I've added a few coats of Sky to the fuselage and got the engine cowling ready and the base painted.  Here is the cockpit which looks a little bare, but I'm not sure whether to add anything.

resized_17f6e581-de39-4259-91b5-b1fc23cb

And here's all the major parts. I'm going to see about having all the sub assemblies done by the end of the weekend and the upper fuselage masked and painted. 

resized_18d5123a-6b92-40e2-9bfd-b5dd960a

• Like 8

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:18 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi

Great to see this one progressing again :popcorn:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat and Jaime. Never really went away, was just finishing Gladiators and working on a Phantom. I'm sure if I had a bit of time to think I could have made up some really witty pun for this.

13 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great to see you're back on this one! Taking shape beautifully!

Cheers

Jaime

But I've put the Sea Otter back on the top of the pile. I think I've solved the struts issue as well but that is still to come.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Top of fuselage masked and a couple of coats of EDSG on. Obligatory, paint finger mark to be cleaned up. I think a final coat is needed then I'll see about dealing with them struts. I do have a grand plan and all will be revealed soon. 

resized_5555f071-942c-4b7f-95b9-02bb042d

Cowling ring masked and painted. I've used Akan Dull Iron but wonder if I should tint it a little with a wash or dry brush. Also engine painted and given a dry brush with Humbrol Gunmetal, but again I wonder if another very light dry brush with Aluminium might bring the relief out a bit better. It will be buried in the cowling so a little brightness may be OK. 

resized_bb5b16df-820e-4543-aadc-10f01dc4

• Like 4

Just found this - another one that I have overlooked.You are making excellent progress with this - I do like these lesser known types - they make very interesting subjects. Looking forward to seeing it in the gallery - with or without rigging!

P

10 hours ago, pheonix said:

Just found this - another one that I have overlooked.You are making excellent progress with this - I do like these lesser known types - they make very interesting subjects. Looking forward to seeing it in the gallery - with or without rigging!

P

Thanks P. As we only have a couple of weeks left it will probably be left unrigged. I do like the incongruity of the post war FAA colour Scheme that was seen on the early jets, Attacker, Sea Hawk, Sea Venoms and Vampiresand modern turbo prop types like the Gannet on a biplane. Also the version I'm doing was operational and saw service on HMS Triumph inhe Korean War. 

• 2 weeks later...

Main paint job complete and transfers on.

resized_2edb4b1c-8cbe-4184-86a3-afa8be3c

Engine installed

resized_aa7328cc-27ec-4ce0-ae15-b0da0889

• Like 5

Hi @825

The GB deadline has been extended one week till 14 January 2018, 23:59 GMT. Hope this helps you finish your build in time and without rushing!

Cheers

Jaime

On 31/12/2017 at 9:00 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one 825

You must be kit building full time as I was also admiring your Matchbox GB work ! :frantic:

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat. Doing a bit here and there between enjoying time off and doing a few things with the family. All the best and have a Happy New Year.

On 31/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, jrlx said:

Nice decal job!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. They are simple and went on pretty well. Lovely and thin. 

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi @825

The GB deadline has been extended one week till 14 January 2018, 23:59 GMT. Hope this helps you finish your build in time and without rushing!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for the information Jaime. I've just about finished the Kingfishers but the Sea Otter has been a challenge and has had a quick, slow, slow progress. I'm now hopeful of finishing it by the new deadline. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately this isn't going to finished in time. It's a little complex and time consuming and I'm incredibly busy at work at the moment as well as having some time away. There's also the 6 Nations rugby coming up. . I've finished both the Kingfishers but this one will have to be put to the side for a little while till I get a bit more time. I'll transfer to WIP when I restart.

resized_f242ab2a-263e-4067-bd35-6c83ab51

• Like 1
  • Sad 1