Supermarine Sea Otter

Off I go switching on the maximum madness. A biplane, from a relatively short run company. It has resin, especially for the engine, etch and film. The instructions have a rigging diagram so may be tempted although I've never done it before. Oh and it needs some scratch built wire parts too.

It does look rather nice and the post war paint scheme does rather strangely suit the airframe.

resized_bed76761-96af-4b22-b0fb-c51f5f81

Sprues 

resized_e9d2308f-cb1f-4b7f-ae47-b43eb43c

The resin, not many components of the kit. But the whole engine and its cowling. 

resized_de4d99a3-f7f1-4482-b2b4-05058920

Nice transfers and the film

resized_aa4f5409-a4de-4da4-b64f-a5ecbcc4

typical Azur instructions, brilliant at times and 'where does this go' at others. Gives three options,all the same livery. Two land based aircraft and one from HMS Triumph during the Korean War.

resized_ec8c5e7e-c10b-41ec-8aba-07240cb6

Edited by 825
  • Like 11

Hi 825,

Welcome to the GB! Great choice! I will end up buying one of these sooner than latter ;)

Good luck with your project!

Cheers

Jaime

10 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Excellent,  that looks like a nice little kit!

Thanks, it's really well moulded, I've only found one moulding flaw which has been filled. It does have loads of ginormous ejection pins, including the inside of all wing, fin and rudder parts as well as the wheels, which needed rubbed of with industrial grade sand paper. The sprue gates are pretty big too.

9 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi 825,

Welcome to the GB! Great choice! I will end up buying one of these sooner than latter ;)

Good luck with your project!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for the welcome. It is a nice kit but a challenge. Some of the resin is beautiful, the exhaust and cowling are simply gorgeous, as is the arrestor hook. However I've discovered there are no location points at all for the wing, engine or float struts, at either end. There are 18 struts in all and there 36 location points to be determined and found. And they are all butt joints. I'll have to have a ponder, but I think I'll replace the float struts with wire and drill out the ends of the remaining struts and put in a short piece of wire to put into a hole drilled in the wings and engine nacelle. Also there are etch seat belts and resin control column and rudder pedals but apart from an IP no other interior detail. There really needs to be some radio and radar equipment at least. I'll see what should be there as hopefully there will be a walkround somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Will be watching with interest:penguin: 

Martin H

Thanks Martin

I've popped some paint on, cleaned up the ejection pins and fretted about the struts. I'll post some photos later. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 825 said:

Thanks, it's really well moulded, I've only found one moulding flaw which has been filled. It does have loads of ginormous ejection pins, including the inside of all wing, fin and rudder parts as well as the wheels, which needed rubbed of with industrial grade sand paper. The sprue gates are pretty big too.

Thanks for the welcome. It is a nice kit but a challenge. Some of the resin is beautiful, the exhaust and cowling are simply gorgeous, as is the arrestor hook. However I've discovered there are no location points at all for the wing, engine or float struts, at either end. There are 18 struts in all and there 36 location points to be determined and found. And they are all butt joints. I'll have to have a ponder, but I think I'll replace the float struts with wire and drill out the ends of the remaining struts and put in a short piece of wire to put into a hole drilled in the wings and engine nacelle. Also there are etch seat belts and resin control column and rudder pedals but apart from an IP no other interior detail. There really needs to be some radio and radar equipment at least. I'll see what should be there as hopefully there will be a walkround somewhere. 

Thanks Martin

I've popped some paint on, cleaned up the ejection pins and fretted about the struts. I'll post some photos later. 

Thanks for pointing out the challenging bits of the kit. The struts seem to be a real challenge. Looking forward to the first picies :)

Cheers

Jaime

Some paint on

resized_26a697b9-212f-49e8-a733-1727967c

resized_03dcddb5-7f7f-4706-b104-f006006e

You can see the detail on the resin exhaust

e8296735-52b6-4e27-8e45-4000e219b0ee.JPG

But this is the underside of the upper wing and you can see the mysterious case of the missing strut locations 

resized_a8369276-c2b9-4a87-830f-366b80ef

• Like 8

On 11/09/2017 at 11:23 AM, AlexN said:

Beautiful looking flying boat! A rare wee beastie that kit, by the looks. Nice :).

Cheers,

Alex.

It is rather a nice kit and should look nice when done. I'm just rather worried about the lack of positive locations for the struts, all 18 or so of them. 

On 11/09/2017 at 12:50 PM, stevehnz said:

I've got this in the war time boxing so I'll be watching closely for hints & tips as to how to deal with it. :)

Steve.

Please do, I've got that boxing as well. But I thought the post war livery is rather fetching and rather suits this airframe, despite the old fashioned nature of the aircraft and modern style of the paint scheme. 

On 11/09/2017 at 3:04 PM, Greg in OK said:

Looks like this will be a great kit to get built.

Greg in OK

I hope I do it justice. 

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Interesting subject - I'll follow along too if I may :)

Join in the more the merrier.

• Like 2

Morning 825

The kits looks great with its paint on, doing the drawings give any clue to strut location ?

If not I have the Aeroclub Vacform version of this kit, if it will help I can look it out and see what drawings it comes with.

cheers Pat

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Morning 825

The kits looks great with its paint on, doing the drawings give any clue to strut location ?

If not I have the Aeroclub Vacform version of this kit, if it will help I can look it out and see what drawings it comes with.

cheers Pat

The instructions are a bit vague.  And the paint plan doesn't really show the struts too well, and are probably to small to accurately use. There are faint locations, possibly as slight marks on the wing surface, for the main struts but nothing I can see as yet for the floats or engine.  If you have plans you don't mind sharing I would be grateful. Otherwise it does look nice and now I've cleaned of the ejection pins, it's pretty good to go. 

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks challenging! Popcorn at the ready...

Regards,

Adrian

Sweet or salty?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 825 said:

The instructions are a bit vague.  And the paint plan doesn't really show the struts too well, and are probably to small to accurately use. There are faint locations, possibly as slight marks on the wing surface, for the main struts but nothing I can see as yet for the floats or engine.  If you have plans you don't mind sharing I would be grateful. Otherwise it does look nice and now I've cleaned of the ejection pins, it's pretty good to go. 

Sweet or salty?

Salty surely it is a Sea Otter after all.... yes I know. :dull: :coat:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2017 at 2:57 PM, jrlx said:

Good start! Are you brush-painting?

Cheers

Jaime

Yes, I have never really got the hang of airbrushing. I also do most of my modelling on the dining room table, often in short burst before going to or on returning from work, so brush painting is easier. 

On 16/09/2017 at 10:30 PM, TheBaron said:

That kit looks quite handy in quality terms 825. I've never made anything from Azur so will be interested to see how this builds up.

Nice one!

Tony

I've almost completed an Azur Maryland and a Baltimore. They are generally accurate in shape but lack locating pins/points and the wings and tailplane are butt fitted so need strengthening. Usually have resin engines and other resin parts.  This Sea Otter also has etch. Go together fine but do need you to apply your modelling skills. This one's big challenge is a lack of location points for the struts. I've stalled a little on the combination of other things, general busyness and the struts. Will hopefully resume soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Done a bit of work this morning. Removed the wings from the sprues, tidied up the attachments and laid on a coat of paint. 

resized_3b949ff6-5fee-43cc-be50-bd2cbe91

Also done done some work on the interior. The etch seat belts are a nightmare. They are beautifully ultra thin, but nigh on impossible to pick up. My glue of choice for etch seat belts is Gator Grip, which is usually excellent. This etch doesn't seem to Grip on and slips all over the place and when you lift the piece 10/20 minutes later to add the next etch the original falls off. The only thing I've successfully managed to glue them to is my fingers. What I've had to do is get them attached with the Gator Grip and then add a dot of superglue and hope for the best. Still have some lap belts to add.

resized_8e5f2723-a6de-4c7b-b056-5782bd9b

• Like 2

Good progress!

I only use CA (superglue) for glueing etch parts. I've found that CA has a limited usable lifespan after opening. After a few months it starts taking ages to glue things in place and must be replaced. Of course, fingers and such keep getting glued very effectively...

Cheers

Jaime

• Haha 1

Hello 825,

Interesting looking kit and subject. You mentioned rigging earlier in the thread... will you be pre-drilling holes for that? Do you plan to you thread or stretched sprue?

Good luck with your build!

Regards,

David