1/350 HMS Belfast - Trumpeter with enhancements

andrewa

I find Trumpeter really frustrating - they have added kits of a lot of subjects I'm interested in, across both aircraft and ships, but they really need to put a bit more effort into researching and spend less time copying.  Their Belfast kit is still the only plastic british cruiser in 1/350 but needs a lot of work to get rid of the errors.  I've also changed from the 1942 version modelled by Trumpeter to December 1943.  I've made use of the WEM brass and correction set, plus a number of accessories purchased from Shapeways and Northstar along with lots of plasticard, brass rod and strip

This is a catch up of my progress so far and I'll carry on as I move forward.

First up: Foward Hull changes

Relocate all chocks outboard and add casting detail on hull side

Add Booms

Cover wood decking on catapult deck

Various lockers and Ventilators (most will be fitted after painting)

add plated over hawse pipe for removed anchor.

Fix locations of scuttles to match the period.

36984995075_47f18f9877_b.jpg

Midships:

Add waste shute

RU Lockers for Oerlikons

36176226413_135aacfb1a_b.jpg

Aft:

Ready use lockers for Oerlikons

More ventilators (again will be fitted post painting

36984997515_0434370a6a_b.jpg

• Like 12

I would be glad that we are getting any form of a Royal Navy Subject frankly  - and soon the HMS York and Exeter - lets be glad of that........even if its a Chinese Model Company

I think the antagonism toward Japan from China is actually helping us , with the new Royal Navy Ships appearing ( including HMS Rodney/ Nelson / Ark Royal ) -

as there seems zero enthusiasm towards ships of the IJN ( the war against China from 1931-1945 has not been forgotten ) .

I am really looking forward to the Exeter appearing  ( I want the Battle of the Java Sea 1942 version . I think this will come later as I am certain its the 1939 version first ) .

anyway thanks for the great photos - good luck with the build ( and thank you )

• Like 3

Main Superstructure:

Lots of ventilators, lockers and RU Lockers

Fixes to Wind deflectors on bridge and hangar Roof

fixed the top of the galley chimney

Ladders

Various Booms

replace winches

Extra Hatches

All the railings around the signal deck have pva glue applied to replicate the canvas of the original

Signal flag lockers

Depression stops for B turret

Handrails

Navigation lights

Breakwaters

36813747532_7d54cf6ea3_b.jpg

36149269094_c3528e52f7_b.jpg

Aft superstructure

Similar details to the main superstructure, various parts thinned or replaced. main change was repositioning and replacing the two boat booms

36985026945_fb800011ac_b.jpg

36813733372_57691231fe_b.jpg

• Like 10

The boat deck needed lots of work, along with the usual lockers, hatches and details the biggest omission is ammo hoists and chain conveyor that fed shells to the AA mounts.  It was built from spare etched degaussing cable runs.

36845340321_22752cddca_b.jpg

36588371910_6d10163510_b.jpg

Fore funnel boat house and radar tower just needed minor details.  Again the funnel is the WEM replacement

36588374490_9bcf0e8b55_b.jpg

Finally all the armament has been swapped out, main turrets and torpedo tubes from shapeways, AA gun houses from WEM and Pom Poms from North Star - each of those its a kit in itself.

36797815386_12d8bb1630_b.jpg

Next up will be the masts and various smaller details

Andrew

Edited by andrewa
  • Like 16

Hello Andre,

I am amazed of your skills on this scale. Like for instance the complete bridge section.

It  looks so sharp, not a dent to be spotted in the etch work. 

Not to forget your excellent photography. I will keep a close watch on this one.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

The Shapeways aftermarket items really are a god-send , and you can commission someone to build you a bespoke drop-in replacement -

I have used them for my forthcoming HMAS Vendetta 1/350 conversion - with a new Refit Bridge AND new 9 Foot rangefinder , plus a twin pom-pom platform -

it certainly saves a lot of time ......

Edited by 73north
  • Like 2

On 02/09/2017 at 8:49 PM, sinnerboy said:

:popcorn:

how did you do the seascape? I think that's the most realistic I've ever seen,:clap2: any chance of a picky of the whole thing? 

It's just styrofoam lined with plasticard and carved to shape with a knife then miliput for the bow wave. 

The water surface is built up with a couple of different artists acrylic mediums then paint and varnish.  It's still far from finished, but I need to get the ship finished first! 

• Like 1

Astonishing level of detail, skill and finesse.  Fascinated to see how you'll paint this with the PE in place.  I went round the Belfast a few weeks ago and the scheme is nothing if not involved.

I too love that seascape - any picture tips would be hugely appreciated.

I'm hooked

Rob

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, andrewa said:

I find Trumpeter really frustrating - they have added kits of a lot of subjects I'm interested in, across both aircraft and ships, but they really need to put a bit more effort into researching and spend less time copying.  Their Belfast kit is still the only plastic british cruiser in 1/350 but needs a lot of work to get rid of the errors.

I agree , to make the HMS Eskimo 1/350 Tribal Class Destroyer Kit ' right ' - you have to add 3mm to the bow to add sheer ( rise ) to it , and then spend time filling in the gaps and re-shaping it BEFORE you can even start on the Model !

oh , and you need to raise the hawsepipe ( anchor hole ) and re-site the forward portholes -

also - to fit an 8 barrel pom-pom mounting ( when they could not have them due to the weight ! ) rather than the 4 barrel version , and the Ships Boats are wrong ( and look German ) -

luckily Shapeways ( Micromaster ) do replacement kit boats ( far, far superior to the resin WEM Eskimo Boats ) - I will sell them off - the only thing I kept was the white metal ships propellers .

with the HMS Belfast , it was lazy to have the ' solution ' for the staggered centre gun on the main turrets - to have it made shorter than the other two -

I hope the forthcoming HMS Exeter 1/350 Kit is well-made and researched .

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments everyone, nearly done with building things now.  After finishing all the major parts a couple of weeks ago, I've built up all the details.  OOB the kit has around 520 parts, I've only used about 140 of those, but added around 1900 more from WEM, Shapeways, L'Arsenal, Lion Roar and scratched, after taking the photos I realised I should have included a ruler in shot as most of this stuff is tiny.

Fore mast and main mast both replaced with brass rod and WEM details.

37374442945_27dbaed1bf_b.jpg

36522277694_49d95518c2_b.jpg

Light AA armament details, single and twin 20mm and searchlights

37184927546_6420f7b41d_b.jpg

Loads of bits, cable reels, paravanes, accomodation ladders etc etc:

37184932596_190dbabca3_b.jpg

Boat/Aircraft cranes, WEM with lots of extra details

37184941826_d5d19c7f0d_b.jpg

Radar aerials

36977169470_a7fcd244b0_b.jpg

Bridge fittings and armament directors

37232123261_6a2cd3701d_b.jpg

36562207603_a42e176e48_b.jpg

Main armament directors

36522292184_9c3505a8ea_b.jpg

I've also just finished the ships boats and ventilators, so it's almost time to start painting and masking the thing.

A

• Like 16