Blackburn Perth, a Vacform too far ?

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

This looks to be a great project Pat. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did with the Contrail Shorts Singapore III that I did for a GB a couple of years ago.

Look forward to seeing this.

Ray

Thanks Ray

I have managed to collect quite a few of the Contrail Flying Boats, so decided to finally build one.

So as they say in McDonalds, " Do you want to go Large ? " well I certainly did !

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

You're ahead of me already Jockney. Just off to Abersoch for a few days in a caravan with the kids. Not been in a caravan for 40 years apparently they have toilets and running water these days and the dining table doesn't fold in to the double bed! Will get my Iris started next week was thinking of doing a Hawker Osprey at the same time for light relief. 

Your Contrail parts look crisper than my Sanger ones.

Remember scrape the parts with a sharp blade to shave most of the excess plastic away and sand the last bit, saves your sanity!

Good luck Bond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Pin

Not sure playing at Wembley is going to be a good idea, but as White Hart Lane has been demolished there's no going back now !

In Poch we trust! Then it became clear what WHL demolition is imminent I bought a ticket and saw one if the last games there.

Back to the topic - is anyone aware if Sanger repack any different I'm kind of itching to buy Perth for myself but not sure if I should put my hand on Sanger or it's better to find original Contrail kit

10 hours ago, bristol boy said:

You're ahead of me already Jockney. Just off to Abersoch for a few days in a caravan with the kids. Not been in a caravan for 40 years apparently they have toilets and running water these days and the dining table doesn't fold in to the double bed! Will get my Iris started next week was thinking of doing a Hawker Osprey at the same time for light relief. 

Your Contrail parts look crisper than my Sanger ones.

Remember scrape the parts with a sharp blade to shave most of the excess plastic away and sand the last bit, saves your sanity!

Good luck Bond.

Hi BB

Great minds think alike, I am currently working away from home for a week in a "Premierlodge Inn" so the thought of cutting and sanding the Perth while away isn't exactly setting my pulse racing !

Therefore I am going to have a go at this

IMG_3539

So will start a separate thread for it

Is your Osprey the old Merlin one or a newer version ?

cheers Pat

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

What can I say??

:popcorn:

Regards,

Adrian

What Adrian said.

And with extra Tea and Chocolate HobNobs.

Love the video of the flight - was half expecting Mr Cholmondley Warner to appear as Grayson's boat gets blasted by that cannon!

Edited by Dermo245
My mistake spelling
  • Like 3

Great to see you tackling this one: best of luck with it. I think that you will find that the struts and rigging are not nearly as difficult as you imagine: in my experience the difficult bits with biplanes, (the ones where you end up nearly tearing your hair out), are where you least expect them and the struts/rigging turn out to be straightforward.

Will be following with great interest.

P

32 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

That looks a tad challenging, good luck with it. Where are the clear bits btw?

The clear bits are a vacformed canopy and a square sheet of clear plastic, taped to the underside of the fuselage, I've left them in situ to avoid loss and damage !

• Like 1

OH DEAR PAT!!!!  I can't say any more..........:mental:

.........and you reckon resin models are scary :D  , I think these must rate as an 11! But you've gotta get a 37mm cannon for her, completely bonkers, the stress on the fuselage around the mount..... 

Good luck with her, i'll be following with interest.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

OH DEAR PAT!!!!  I can't say any more..........:mental:

.........and you reckon resin models are scary :D  , I think these must rate as an 11! But you've gotta get a 37mm cannon for her, completely bonkers, the stress on the fuselage around the mount..... 

Good luck with her, i'll be following with interest.

Thanks Rich

If anyone knows where I can get a 37mm cannon, can they let me know. A 1/72 scale one would be nice as I don't think Mrs Jockney will appreciate a real one as garden furniture !

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2017 at 10:57 PM, pheonix said:

Just a question: have you managed to cut any plastic yet? There is a lot to do with that kit and time is already running....

P

Hi Pheonix

Many thanks for the well timed kick up the bottom, progress pics below

IMG_3635

All bits removed, just a weeeeeeee bit of sanding required !

IMG_3636

IMG_3637

Thats an A3 cutting board, so as you can see, size isn't a problem :giggle:

cheers Pat

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That is a BIG kit!! I do not envy you having to sand that and keep all of the edges square and true. It is one of the reasons why I have never attempted a vacform because I am sure that I would make a mess of this stage. Hat off to you and others who do make excellent models from such materials.

P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is a BIG kit!! I do not envy you having to sand that and keep all of the edges square and true. It is one of the reasons why I have never attempted a vacform because I am sure that I would make a mess of this stage. Hat off to you and others who do make excellent models from such materials.

P

Hi Pheonix

You are too modest old mate, you are currently creating a Dornier from scratch while carving it from a piece of tree, I will take Vacform over cabinet making anytime ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 1

........and I'll take my resin over vacform any day as well!!!  :D

those are big pieces!! have you got your sanding implement of death ready for all that sanding? For big jobs like that I use 280 grid W&D glued to a sheet of glass, guaranteed to give you flat surfaces. Looks like you have a bit of work to do on the hull of the LHS piece (actually the RHS doesn't look that flash either), that should be easy to fix.

She's going to be impressive went finished!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Mate

Yes both bottom planing edges are damaged so I hope filler and sanding will give me a nice sharp edge.

I think sanding may be something I get lots of experience of !

cheers Pat 

In the past I have backed the damaged areas with Miliput to restore the shape of the planning edges.

Martian

• Like 1