Desert RODEN-t! Pattern 1920 Rolls Royce Armored Car

Garry c

Many are started, few are finished. Here is one of the lucky ones.

The Roden Rolls Royce Armored Car

IMG_3173

The fit was challenging to say the least. The front fenders were shortened so the ramps under the running boards would fit.

IMG_3172

4 pieces of plastic were stacked, drilled and cut to make the plates on the radiator doors.

IMG_3174

The drivers window was opened.

IMG_3170

Transmission sump, starter, and generator were made of styrene rod and strip.

IMG_3166

The bonnet was opened,the side panels were scored at the seam and snapped cleanly. Braces for the front and the operating lever for the radiator doors were styrene angle strip, rod, and sheet.

IMG_3159

IMG_3158

More styrene, battery box, rivet strips, and pistol port levers

IMG_3155

Added  operating rod for front visor,the instrument panel was drilled and a styrene sheet painted black and scratched with  a blade to simulate gauges was glued behind.

IMG_3157

Lewis Mg was drilled out.

IMG_3150

A pair of handles were added to the Vickers Mg.

IMG_3154

Every part needed to be cut,filed,sanded,filled or shimmed to fit, not an easy build but a satisfying one. The fact that I finished one is icing on the cake.

Recommended for masochists.

Garry c

• Like 21

Thanks for the kind comments. Since there is no P.E. set for this kit that I am aware of, I thought to point out the details that can be added with a bit of plastic, a sharp blade, some files and a really strong magnifier.

There are plenty of pictures on the web including this one of the original

c507aabb648c2a0f6d6726e84248a983.jpg

the unusual blackout treatment on the lights made me think that white paint was used on the inside of the lenses, no proof but that is what I tried to represent.

Garry c

Lovely job on he RR A/C. The paint and weathering are very good. I built the WW1 version some years ago, and it can be a bit frustrating. I'm really surprised that none of the AM people have come up with detail sets for these as they are badly needed.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks, I used the AK Caunter Scheme set, airbrushes well without thinning, a little thin for brush painting. I think the Light Stone looks sort of lemon yellow but I have no colour samples to compare it to.

The base colour is Tamiya AS-14 olive green from a rattle can, it is just a shade darker than the AK 4033 Slate.

Garry c

Edited by Garry c
spelling

Looks good, the Caunter scheme is particularly well done. It's not the easiest of kits & the detail is a bit soft. I did one a few years ago in the RAF scheme , finished it off with a Black Dog stowage set. 

Pete

• Like 1

That looks spectacular!

I have to say though that it looks as though you've drilled out the entire cooling jacket on the Lewis, instead of just the muzzle. That hole looks way too big......having said that, I'm no armoured car expert.....

Ian

• Like 1

Believe it or not, the Lewis gun is air cooled.

9f4e6290b07ec45237d7913e5987dced--machin

The cooling jacket is hollow,and the barrel is inside a sleeve of aluminum fins.

0122161315b.jpg

As each bullet leaves the barrel, the pressure wave draws fresh air through the cooling jacket sort of like a pulse jet.

Fiendishly clever, No?

Garry c

Edited by Garry c
clarity