Nieuport/ Gloster Nightjar/ Mars X

Courageous

Hi BM's,

As I slowly build up my stash for retirement , I'm having difficulties in filling a few holes. One of those holes is the above, a Nieuport/ Gloster Nightjar/ Mars X in 1/72. I know that Blue Rider produced the kit in this kit but it seems to be as rare as rocking horse poo!

Failing to get this kit, what are my options? Can I use another kit as a donor then hack or what?

Stuart

I had a brief look at this as a conversion last year. The most obvious starting point was the Eastern Express/Toko Sopwith Snipe. It's not an easy one and these are just observations. Length is only a few inches different. The Gloster cockpit would have to be moved back. The forward upper decking is lower than the Snipe but as this is a separate part it should be easy to replace. New fin and rudder from card, new tailplanes and tail skid appears to have been pinched from an SE5a. I think the wings are useable and need to be reduced as the Snipe are three feet longer. Cut outs to fill and new ailerons required. Not sure if a new cowling would be needed. Would definitely be a looks like rather than a replica.

Regards, Steve

49 minutes ago, John Aero said:

The tail unit wasn't exactly pinched from an SE.5, but it was by the same designer, one H.P. Folland.

John

Sorry, I should have written, new tail planes(scratched) and (the) tail skid appears to have been pinched from the SE5a.

Regards, Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys. As you say, sounds like a lot of work. I'm not afraid of getting stuck in if their is no other option.

KitKat, I'm certainly interested in purchasing the BR kit from you. I'll PM you when I'm back in UK.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

• 1 month later...

Hi Stuart,

Starting new build thread in Work in Progress on the 1/72 Blue Rider Nieuport Nightjar, so you can kindly watch my (slow) progress.

Patrik

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1