"The Flying Pig" Short Sunderland MK 1 1/72 Italeri.

3 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Cheers Beard, Sky it is, it seems to match the other schemes.

Anyhow there could be a fair amount of NMF showing once I have finished her . :mental:

Simon.

Sorry Simon, I tried to edit my post but I'm using an iPad and Safari doesn't like you jumping between screens.

If you're talking about the profile, I think it'd be Sky as it has EDSG & DSG upper surfaces (although it could be Aluminium). If it's an early war scheme, it'd be Aluminium not NMF (I think bare metal would corrode as it'd be exposed to salt water).

This is worth a butcher's (it has some early schemes): https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?105072-Early-Short-Sunderland-colours

So is this: http://www.hrmtech.com/SIG/articles/coastal_cam.asp

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Beard said:

If you're talking about the profile, I think it'd be Sky as it has EDSG & DSG upper surfaces (although it could be Aluminium). If it's an early war scheme, it'd be Aluminium not NMF (I think bare metal would corrode as it'd be exposed to salt water).

Sorry Beard, I meant in a worn way , not highly polished etc.

Quickly reading the links, it seems that it is the same old problem of peoples interpretation of B/W pics. LOL.

The temperate Land colours react poorly under the salt water conditions so the sea version was used apparently.

So EDSG/DSG with a SKY bottom.

Thanks

Simon.

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 14:37, Spookytooth said:

I agree with you on the journalistic licence bit sir.

As for the colour scheme for the Eastern Med, I have no idea why those colours were chosen.

Perhaps Italeri got it wrong?

If any one can shed light on this matter it would be appreciated.

Simon. Down South.

Hello Simon,

Not sure, to me it seem logical, if one look at the colours of the Malta A/C...

still the debate is open, the Whimpy in black and desert scheme did'nt fare better !

The Mustang I did, US painting OD and neutral grey with some Dark earth brushed on !

Did'nt Wonder about the Sunderland scheme !

Will have a look in my cabinet of curiosities :rofl2:

And will post it here if you don't mind and if not too late !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Hi Simon,

From two AMO's on the Flying boats

AMO A926/40 (12 December 1940)

Aircraft Colouring and Recognition Markings

7.  Colour schemes of flying boats, float planes, amphibians and Fleet Air Arm aircraft.-(i) Upper Surfaces.-Upper surfaces of all flying boats, float planes, amphibians and Fleet Air Arm aircraft are to be camouflaged in the temperate sea scheme, with the exception of target (pilotless) aircraft whose upper surfaces will be in the temperate land scheme.

(ii) Under-surfaces.-The under-surfaces of all flying boats, float planes, amphibians and Fleet Air Arm aircraft are to be painted duck-egg blue (Sky Type “S”).

A.513  Camouflage Colouring and Markings of Aircraft (10 July 194l.)

1.  A.M.0. A.926/40, as amended by A.30/41 and A.157/41, is super­seded by the instructions contained in this order, which take effect immediately.

I.    Camouflage and Colouring of Aircraft

4. R.A.F. flying-boats, float planes and amphibians.-(i) Temperate sea scheme camouflage, consisting of' two colours, dark slate grey, and extra dark sea grey, is to be used for the upper surfaces of all aircraft except target aircraft, whose upper surfaces are to be camouflaged in accordance with the instructions contained in para. 3 (i) (a) above.

(ii)      The under-surfaces of all aircraft are to be painted duck-egg blue (Sky-Type “S”).

If you look at these photo links of RAF 230 Sqn aircraft based at Egypt you will see the Temperate Sea Scheme, no black

230 Sqn Sunderland Mk I

230 Sqn Sunderland Mk I

As to the comments in above posts on Natural Metal, especially on the planing bottom, ALL Sunderland's were painted from the keel up to the loaded Draft

depth of the water line, with a "Lanolin Based" water proofing paint - generally clear at first, then changed to a light grey.

And as to Natural metal Sunderland's operating - The RNZAF at the end of WWII stripped its 4 MK III Sunderland's down to bare metal, and operated

them for some years this way - see photo from my collection

RNZAF MK III Sunderland Natural metal

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like others I remember building the Airfix Sunderland as a kid. So will follow be following with interest.

Your choice of markings...

On 02/09/2017 at 14:55, Spookytooth said:

Dark Green over Dark Earth with Matt Black undersides.

...do seem to be unusual for a Sunderland.

So I had a dig around the internet. It seems that this colour combination did exist. Here are two Sunderlands that certainly look to have black undersides early in WW2. Interesting that Italeri have done markings for N9029. The third photo below could also be N9029. An educated guess as the last digit is obscured in the photo.

N9048 at Invergordon 1940

Another of N9048

N902? at Pembroke Dock

Not conclusive evidence but does show that Italeri could have a valid colour scheme.

My 2p....

Dave

Just found this in a discussion on painting Sunderlands.

Night was originally developed as an anti-searchlight finish for use on flying boats by the RAE in the 1930s. This intention was later dropped but some flying boats did have Night under surfaces. For example, Stranraer K7295 BN*L of 240 Squadron. It is quite possible that some Sunderlands had Night under surfaces if it was an operational requirement. 

Edited by dave665
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

What a great choice! :lol: I'll tag along too if that's ok. I'm sure she'll look amazing when you're done with her.

Johnny.:cat:

Cheers Johnny  my good friend, will sort out some veggie nibbles out for you.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pheonix said:

An interesting choice and certainly one of the larger models in the True Scale in this GB. Good progress so far: how much internal detail will you add? Not that much will be seen of course!

P

Thanks pheonix, not a lot will be seen so I am not doing a lot inside of her, although the scope to detail her totally would be a long job.

Simon.

Well time for a quick update.

The debate over the colour scheme seems to concluded that it`s a mine field.

EDSG and DSG equate Tamiya XF 24 and XF 54 according to the colour charts.

Can anyone confirm that for us.

Right, those pesky EJP`s the, all over the place (see pic posted earlier)

Out of those, only these ones needed real attention.

EJP 2

And these.

EJP 3

As they will the only ones visible .

The same on the other too.

So remove/fill/sand those next, then open up the port holes and aerial holes etc.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 4

Cheers G. daunting no, mind numbing yes.

Well, onwards, EJP and such eliminated I think (pics another time.)

Portholes , thousands of them, well 20 on the port side any how, and only one to open up.

P.H. 1

Below the said Port hole.

Masked on the inside.

P.H. 2

Only another 12 to go this side.

Also the bomb bay door and front door.

P.H. 3

The bomb bay door was a loose fit but flush, the door needs a little more attention.

Working in short bursts as back spasms playing hell.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Working in short bursts as back spasms playing hell

Not the best conditions for this kind of job :( Take it easy, and the model is coming along nicely :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

THREAD DRIFT WARNING       Just out of curisity ................I cannot find reference to Flying Pig............hundreds of resturants and even a Varsity in Sunderland aero park.  I have read many books on the Sunderland and the Germans used to relate to it as The Flying Porupine............mainly as it could fire its needles at the enemy..................check out this..............sorry to detract from a nice build

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=892&q=the+flying+porcupine&oq=The+flying+porcupine&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24k1.2850.14107.0.18522.20.20.0.0.0.0.389.3285.0j17j1j2.20.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.20.3271...0j0i30k1j0i8i30k1.DPDOeEp_R-o

md20659405905.jpg

• Like 3

Has this nomenclature confusion arisen from the (mis) use of the German for porcupine?  "Stachelschwein", and in particular the "Schwerin" element might be the issue here.  I've never heard of the Sunderland being referred to in porcine terms; the crews were proud of their aircraft which could, on occasion, became "home" for extended periods, so grot and crud were, generally, not tolerated.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Simon - just caught up after being away.

What are you going to use to fix the windows? I'm beginning to think Nigel's 5-minute epoxy is the only way to avoid nasty 'plops' of windows falling inside...

• Like 3

On 9/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, CedB said:

Coming along nicely Simon - just caught up after being away.

What are you going to use to fix the windows? I'm beginning to think Nigel's 5-minute epoxy is the only way to avoid nasty 'plops' of windows falling inside...

Not sure Ced, maybe some Revell Clearfix what ever its called.

It`s a PVA/C.A. mix.

Thanks all for the good comments.

Right on with the show, well snippet.

Excuse the wait, I forgot to upload the pics (Silly me).

OK, done.

Port side doors and windows.

Port holes 4

Minus 1 window to the clutches of the carpet monster, never mid, I have a little plan.

Port holes 5

Here is the Starboard side, intact (beat the bugger).

Just need to trim them, the doors have already been done.

Will catch up later maybe.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 5

OK folks , thanks for the comments.

A little more done over the days.

All the port holes have been masked , ready for fitting.

There are 5 more of the buggers but they are fitted when the fuselage is joined.

Port holes 6

Ced, you asked what glue I am going to use, well here is a pic.

Contacta Clear

Leaving them aside for a while, I decided to attack the floors and walls of the beast.

DB 1

The front bits.

DB 2

The back bits.

DB 4

And a quick cheeky fit of the back bits into the fuselage.

DB 5

All looks good on the dry fits, so now down to attack the cockpit I suppose.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 9