"The Flying Pig" Short Sunderland MK 1 1/72 Italeri.

Ah, who doesn't love the Sunderland! She should look brilliant in the Bomber Command-type scheme. I can't say I've seen one done in that. I recently bought the Mk.III kit and I don't regret it one bit - nice kit with nice details, and unlike many I don't mind the surface detail as my over-enthusiasm with the airbrush tends to overpower more 'scale' engraved lines. Best of luck with this one!

Regards,

Jason

That looks like a very good start.

I have the old Airfix version (which I will not be building) and can only say that I would take those trenches over the 6" rivets covering the Airfix kit.

Good luck with the kit, it looks like it will be fun to build.

Greg in OK

4 minutes ago, Greg in OK said:

I have the old Airfix version (which I will not be building) and can only say that I would take those trenches over the 6" rivets covering the Airfix kit.

Greg in OK

Don't waste the Airfix one in your stash mate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Greg in OK said:

Greg in OK

7 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Don't waste the Airfix one in your stash mate.

Bear in Mind Gents, that the Italeri Kits (Mk I/III) have their Own "Accuracy" Issues -and that's not the Trench panel lines or

"Fictitious" Riveting......

Regards

Alan

hi ALL ,

the Sunderland has NEVER bin called "The Fyin' Pig " by the Crew, NEVER thought of their Aircraft

as a  "Pig "  more of an Aircraft that they knew would get them through ALL the XXXX that wot was shot at them

........ and git Home .

2 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi ALL ,

the Sunderland has NEVER bin called "The Fyin' Pig " by the Crew, NEVER thought of their Aircraft

as a  "Pig "  more of an Aircraft that they knew would get them through ALL the XXXX that wot was shot at them

........ and git Home .

Sorry if the title offended you, but I saw it online somewhere when reading up on this fine aircraft. I know later variants was referred to as th"Porcupine" by the German Pilots for their defensive capabilities.

Simon.

• Like 1

OK folks, thanks for the comments, and you will find refreshments in the kitchen.

Some concerns about the panel lines!!!.

Yep, they are deep, but we will see what a couple of coats of Alcad 2 Primer/micro filler will do.

Well, wings assembled now and drying.

The ailerons needed a bit of TLC on the trailing edge, but a swish of putty and swash of filing sorted the probs out.

Wings 5

Clamped and setting.

Wings 4

The "Light" recesses will need attention me thinks.

The other wing is done as well , so both have been left to dry for now.

Next the fuselage, and all those lovely port-holes mmmmmh. :rofl2:

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 8

Nice progress, Simon :clap:  It looks like a regular Italeri kit, fit-wise (not necessarily a good thing, I reckon :devil: )

14 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

The "Light" recesses will need attention me thinks.

In cases like that, I use very thin plastic card - 0.1mm or less, shaped on the recess I need to fill (using tape to copy the actual shape) and glued in with Tamiya Green Cap. You then just need to drill the hole again and you're fine. I did something similar in my Macchi thread, if you remember - but it's also very similar to what you did with the U/C doors in your Spitphoon build. HTH

Ciao

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nice progress, Simon :clap:  It looks like a regular Italeri kit, fit-wise (not necessarily a good thing, I reckon :devil: )

In cases like that, I use very thin plastic card - 0.1mm or less, shaped on the recess I need to fill (using tape to copy the actual shape) and glued in with Tamiya Green Cap. You then just need to drill the hole again and you're fine. I did something similar in my Macchi thread, if you remember - but it's also very similar to what you did with the U/C doors in your Spitphoon build. HTH

Ciao

Cheers Giemme, I had very similar in mind, but I need to check the clear bits fit first, in case of any tolerance not taken in to consideration.

Simon.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Those Berna clamps look dead handy there Simon. Nice progress!

Yep Tony, the wings had a slight bow at the front, so out with the Berna`s.

I hope that the rest of the kit goes smoothly as this did.

Simon.

• Like 1

OK folks, I was going to do the port holes tonight but did not have enough time , so.

I selected the tail planes and rudder assemblies to do.

Tail feathers 1

With a quick clean up and dry fit, they were glued together.

Tail feathers 2

Leave alone for the night to set.

Then a little light polishing to wings and bits tomorrow, probably.

Right, I am off to bed soon.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 7

hi  Spookytooth ,

yes, I have heard that the Sunderlaland was called the "Porcupine " by the Germans

as the AIRCRAFT was very hard to approach without bein' stung !

A Pig squeels when approached and bothered the Sunderland said nuthin' and keep its Enemies at bay.

.......... sometimes for hours or until the Attackers were runin' outa Fuel and had to go Home .

There were no 30 second engagements !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1

I really cannot see the crews calling the Beaufighter Whispering death, the Typhoon the Can Opener or the Sunderland the Flying Porcupine, seems more like journalistic licence.  Flying Pig is far more likely a name as used by the crews.

As for the model, I really like the look of this Sunderland and the work you are doing on it.  Like the idea of the 'Bomber Command' Colours.  Different.  I wonder what the thinking behind the scheme was.  Having read about 230Sqn in WWII there is no obvious operational reason for it on a Sunderland in the Med. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

I really cannot see the crews calling the Beaufighter Whispering death, the Typhoon the Can Opener or the Sunderland the Flying Porcupine, seems more like journalistic licence.  Flying Pig is far more likely a name as used by the crews.

As for the model, I really like the look of this Sunderland and the work you are doing on it.  Like the idea of the 'Bomber Command' Colours.  Different.  I wonder what the thinking behind the scheme was.  Having read about 230Sqn in WWII there is no obvious operational reason for it on a Sunderland in the Med. 

I agree with you on the journalistic licence bit sir.

As for the colour scheme for the Eastern Med, I have no idea why those colours were chosen.

Perhaps Italeri got it wrong?

If any one can shed light on this matter it would be appreciated.

Simon. Down South.

A quick update.

You know I said that the fit was good with the wings, well not so good as I found out in the morning.

The Port wing aileron had slipped out of it`s location.

So I was able slip it back in Fnar Fnar , and attack it with a drop of C/A.

Then used a pair of pliers to close the gap.

Wing tip 1

We will see after a coat of primer how that looks.

But looking at the other wing parts I may of found the problem.

Like a silly bugger I had forgot to check the groove the flaps sit in.

A little unwanted residue of plastic can stop it from fitting correctly.

That and the outer pins on the ailerons are quite fine as well means that a bit more care was needed.

Anyhow a pic of the work in hand to do.

Clean up this lot.

Wings and bits 1

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 8

I too made the Airfix Sunderland, many years ago (mine had a 25-pounder gun in the nose, for use when attacking U-boats), this one looks much nicer and I can see myself investing in one.

I'm not sure about the colour scheme Italeri give, Dark Earth & Dark Green over Night seems wrong. I had a quick search on line and the only thing I could find was this profile:

Short-Sunderland-profiles-by-Model-Airpl

Notice that the profile clearly doesn't have Night undersides.

I also found this thread about DE & DG/ Night Sunderlands.

http://theflyingboatforum.forumlaunch.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=890

and this:

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?105072-Early-Short-Sunderland-colours

As my friend Troy Smith says, never trust a profile without a photograph.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Beard said:

Notice that the profile clearly doesn't have Night undersides

Thanks for getting back Beard, I have had a few raised eyebrows about the colour scheme.

This does pose the question, which colour for the underside on the last of those 4 pics?

Sky or NMF?

People help!!!!!!

Simon.

9 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Thanks for getting back Beard, I have had a few raised eyebrows about the colour scheme.

This does pose the question, which colour for the underside on the last of those 4 pics?

Sky or NMF?

People help!!!!!!

Simon.

My reference books are in the loft and I'm watching Top of the Pops but I think Sky, but am more than happy to be proved wrong.

8 minutes ago, Beard said:

My reference books are in the loft and I'm watching Top of the Pops but I think Sky, but am more than happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers Beard, Sky it is, it seems to match the other schemes.

Anyhow there could be a fair amount of NMF showing once I have finished her . :mental:

Simon.