1/72 SBS Model Latécoère 28-5 "la Frégate"

Basilisk

What, no French Flying boat or float plane in this GB yet! The French built so many wonderful and weird water bound aircraft, so surely this GB deserves at least one of them :)

So here I am with a Latécoère 28-5. And after all. isn't Latécoère for the French what Shorts is for the British when it comes to flying boats.

Late-1e.jpg

The Latécoère 28 was mainly used for postal services between France, Africa and South America. About 50 were built and the type established 9 world records for speed, endurance and distance.

The -5 "la Frégate" model set 16 records between 1930-31 and one flew later with the French Navy. First it flew in a red colour scheme inherited from its civil days, but was later apparently re-painted navy grey. Does someone know of a picture in the grey colours? as I think all the pictures below show the aircraft in the red colours.

Late-1b.jpg

Late-1c.jpg

Late-1d.jpg

The -5 was equipped with a 650 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Nbr engine.

The SBS Model is one of the first resin kit from this manufacturer and is therefore not as refined as the newer offerings, but still looking very nice.

Late-1.jpg

I didn't intend to participate in another GB this year as my completion rate is miserable to say the least. But I started this kit a while ago, but made little progress.

Late-2.jpg

The fuselage has an enormous casting block to be removed.

Late-3.jpg

Done.

Late-4.jpg

And cleaned up with a scraper.

That is were I am currently with this build. Will I finish it within the duration of this GB? Most likely not, but it should be at least closer to the finishing line. ;)

Cheers, Peter

• Like 11

This is the kind of thing that puts me off resin kits, oh and the health worries- what precautions do you take? I mean, that's an awful lot of shavings, dust etc.

But, gorgeous plane, shame about the kit is what I'm thinking.

• Like 1

Wow, it looks like you are literally carving it out of a solid piece or resin, this is sculpture not kit construction  :surprised: :worthy:

Good luck Peter, you need to lay the law down early with this kit and show it who's boss :fight:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the GB! That's a beautiful model a colour scheme!

I wish you luck with your project and hope you manage to finish it in time but most important is that you finish it to your liking and not rushed.

Regarding health concerns of working with resin, I do the following:

- I wear latex gloves and a respirator mask

- I cut the pieces on a wet kitchen paper towel, to keep the resin dust from spreading everywhere

- I replace the paper towel frequently

Do you have your own approach?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

This is the kind of thing that puts me off resin kits, oh and the health worries- what precautions do you take? I mean, that's an awful lot of shavings, dust etc.

But, gorgeous plane, shame about the kit is what I'm thinking.

It certainly isn't the most enjoyable task.

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wow, it looks like you are literally carving it out of a solid piece or resin, this is sculpture not kit construction  :surprised: :worthy:

Good luck Peter, you need to lay the law down early with this kit and show it who's boss :fight:

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat. It actually wasn't as bad as it looks.

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the GB! That's a beautiful model a colour scheme!

I wish you luck with your project and hope you manage to finish it in time but most important is that you finish it to your liking and not rushed.

Regarding health concerns of working with resin, I do the following:

- I wear latex gloves and a respirator mask

- I cut the pieces on a wet kitchen paper towel, to keep the resin dust from spreading everywhere

- I replace the paper towel frequently

Do you have your own approach?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. I think I can use all the luck I can get.

In regards to precautions, you guys talk like just looking at resin kills you :shrug: Yes some people have an allergic reaction when touching resin, others have an allergic reaction when touching stainless steel or cats ... Fortunately I don't so I just hold the stuff with my uncovered hands.

In regards to dust and shavings, it is the dust you don't see which has the potential to affect your health, so the saw chipps and shavings you see on my pictures isn't too harmful.

But I did wear a respirator for this task and if at all possible I don't sand the stuff, but use a scarper instead as the scraper doesn't create fine dust. For some final sanding I do it wet which eliminates the dust and I rinse it all out when done.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice Peter - one I've not come across before.

23 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Will I finish it within the duration of this GB? Most likely not, but it should be at least closer to the finishing line. ;)

Well if 'following with interest' gets you closer, I'm happy to help!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is great to see in the group build; yes we need stylish French aircraft Peter ;)!

I love the Latécoère flying boats and float planes. 

You're right @John D.C. Masters , both Antoine de Saint Exupèry and Jean Mermoz flew these types. The latter vanished without trace in the one and only much larger Latécoère 300.

This is is a great choice Peter :).

I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/3/2017 at 10:16 PM, greggles.w said:

Nice choice Peter - one I've not come across before.

Well if 'following with interest' gets you closer, I'm happy to help!

Thanks Gregg, but I am not sure if it does make a difference. :huh: The problem is that I lately have very little time to work on models. :weep:

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have always wanted to see one of these built up.  I feel it is one of those lovely French Golden Age designs.  I forget...did St. Exupery fly one of these across the Atlantic?

Yes these oldies just have an appeal which is hard to resist. As Tony confirmed (and I had no idea). he did.

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This is great to see in the group build; yes we need stylish French aircraft Peter ;)!

I love the Latécoère flying boats and float planes. 

You're right @John D.C. Masters , both Antoine de Saint Exupèry and Jean Mermoz flew these types. The latter vanished without trace in the one and only much larger Latécoère 300.

This is is a great choice Peter :).

I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Best regards 

TonyT

Thanks Tony and thanks for the information on Antoine de Saint Exupèry flying the type.

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Basilisk,

Will have a look in some of my book, will may be find what you're looking for !

Nice kit ! and nice job on it !

Sincerely.

CC

That would be great and much appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Greg in OK said:

Looking forward to this build.

I looks like it will build up very nice!

Greg in OK

I hope so. Fortunately there is little information available on this aircraft, so the chance I get side tracked in adding detail is rather small ;) so it should be a straight forward build.

But I am tempted to try to replicated the stressed metal skin effect on the fuselage :) Bugger, why cant I just glue the stuff together and be done with :shrug:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello Basilisk,

Don't want to hijack your thread, here's what I found

It's from "Le fana de l'aviation" the best and most thoroughly searched french avaition magazine IMHO

WP_20170905_20_03_30_ProWP_20170905_20_04_38_ProWP_20170905_20_05_04_Pro

And now, La Fregate !

WP_20170905_20_05_35_ProWP_20170905_20_05_55_ProWP_20170905_20_07_44_ProWP_20170905_20_07_53_Pro

Of course, it is in french but I can translate

WP_20170905_20_06_32_Pro

The tally of la fregate

WP_20170905_20_06_12_Pro

They talk about a Grey "Marine" suppose that is the one like the LN and V-156 the dark one IMHO.

Hope that I did'nt disturb.

See you later !

Sincerely

SWMBO need the PC, so I must let her, it is war here already

Bye !

Corsaircorp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Basilisk,

AFAICS the grey seem to be French blue grey UA145 in life color or FS35237

That's my bet at last, 

Be carefull, the oil coolers are double, the engine is different, it's a demultiplicated Hispano 12nbr rated at 650hp

the floats are larger than on the 28-3 but the shape is the same

No door on the left side, just one window on the cockpit and a tiny window for the toilets.

First pilot was Lt Vaisseau Paris and cdt hébert.

La frégate has got 16 international records

Then La fregate became the prototype for the Late 290 01 a torpedo bomber !

the modifs were done in just 8 days

I also have a photo of the Late 29-0 ex la fregate at the "Grand salon de l'aéronautique de Paris" in 1932

with a 3 blades propeller and an immaculate metal paint scheme andseemingly longer floats with rudders !

Let me know if you wanna see it.

Whatever this is in le fana # 308 July 1995 'til 311 at least

I don't find the 309 and can have a look for the 311.

Hope that it will help

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2017 at 4:43 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Basilisk,

Don't want to hijack your thread, here's what I found

It's from "Le fana de l'aviation" the best and most thoroughly searched french avaition magazine IMHO

No problem at all. I do actually have some PDFs of these four issues, which as you say are very detailed, but unfortunately don't contain a picture in the grey scheme.

On 9/6/2017 at 5:09 AM, Xmald said:

You`ve got my attention - the interwar French birds are one of the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft of all time ;) 

The French certainly had a "unique" approach when they designed planes between the wars!

On 9/6/2017 at 5:45 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Basilisk,

Be carefull, the oil coolers are double, the engine is different, it's a demultiplicated Hispano 12nbr rated at 650hp

the floats are larger than on the 28-3 but the shape is the same

No door on the left side, just one window on the cockpit and a tiny window for the toilets.

Now I am confused CC. For which aircraft are the above comments valid? I did see the picture of the silver aircraft in the 310 issue of Le Fana.

I made some small progress as I tinkered around with the parts making up the cockpit and fitted all the PE.

Late-5.jpg

Late-6.jpg

I did fit the seats 180 degree rotated as they should slope back and not forward.

I did find some cockpit pictures of the Latécoère 28, but I don't know from which sub version they are.

Late-6a.jpg

Late-6b.jpg

Late-6c.jpg

And here how it looks in the model temporally but together.

Late-7.jpg

Late-8.jpg

I think the kit captures the look and feel of the cockpit nicely apart when painted. So priming and painting is next on the agenda.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 8

On 02/09/2017 at 14:02, Basilisk said:

What, no French Flying boat or float plane in this GB yet! The French built so many wonderful and weird water bound aircraft, so surely this GB deserves at least one of them :)

I think they invented water bound aircraft?

That's a good looking 'pit you have there Peter, very 'robust'

• Haha 1

Hello Basilisk,

All these comments are for the -5 aka "La fregate"

That's why I joined this one

WP_20170905_20_07_44_Pro

Since there has been further modifs after her carrer as a record breaker as she became the prototype for the TB version !

Now, I did'nt see any différences on the profiles, that thing of bigger oïl cooler must be rechecked on the photographies !

Still look for a photo of the Grey fregate.

Whatever, you did a pretty good job on the interiors ! congratulations !

Keep you informed if I find Something more:yes:

Sincerely.

CC 

18 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great work on the cockpit! Very detailed, looks like the real thing :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

The only thing missing is the ashtray overflowing with Gauloises butts ;)

Keep up the good work Peter

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...