RAF Typhoon had a small mishap yesterday

upnorth

Hello all,

Yesterday, one of a pair of RAF Typhoons went off the end of the runway in Pardubice, Czech Republic.

They were scheduled to be at the CIAF airshow at nearby Hradec Kralove this weekend, but bad weather led them to divert to Pardubice. After the first Typhoon went off the end of the wet runway, the second Typhoon decided to return to the UK without an attempt at landing.

The pilot was unhurt, but nobody from the airport is saying much about the incident thus far. Going by the pictures in this Czech article, I suspect the Typhoon will be back in the air before too long.

http://pardubicky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/po-ztroskotani-britske-stihacky-je-pardubicke-letiste-uzavreno-ceka-20170902.html

• Like 1

Hmm them main oleos look pretty dug In to me....need to get a tractor to push her out ..probably need some something to spread the load etc...meanwhile I would be more interested why his oppo went back to the UK....hot date maybe? never leave your oppos' 'pecially in a foreign run ashore....never know what might happen.:rofl:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Hmm them main oleos look pretty dug In to me....need to get a tractor to push her out ..probably need some something to spread the load etc...meanwhile I would be more interested why his oppo went back to the UK....hot date maybe? never leave your oppos' 'pecially in a foreign run ashore....never know what might happen.:rofl:

That the other guy went back to the UK is simply what the news said, could be nonsense though.

A bit later on the TV news, they were showing the airport fire crews and other sorts slowing moving the plane back onto the runway.

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

If the first Typhoon had overrun the runway it probably would have rendered it unusable so the number two would have had no option but to divert so, as long as he had enough fuel to do so safely, returning to base was probably the most sensible option in the circumstances. 

It also looks like the RAF have sent a recovery crew out to Pardubice this evening.

Edited by Richard E