Hello!

ExiledFish

Hello to all from the leafy green depths of Dorset!

Have lurked here as a Guest as often as Google brings me and finally decided to take the plunge. I've modelled on and off over years since I was younger and finally gotten back into it properly the last two years in my 30's. I tend to dabble in all-sorts but mainly WW2 aircraft, ships and tanks.

I'm not quite a total amateur but occasionally still given to daft mistakes or getting a tad foolishly overambitious. I'm trying to introduce more etch into models now and am finding working with superglue a battle of wills as well as figuring out how to weather without going mad with it (muddy wash everywhere!). Also trying to refine my general build/paint technique, plus my airbrushing has recently had a string of catastrophes, which is odd as previously I've had no problems. Brush may be showing it's age.

Anyway, I do go on a bit. I will probably confine myself to asking thousands of questions along the lines of 'how did you do that?!', while remembering the golden rule of web forum etiquette 'the search option is your friend...' :)

Cheers,

Fish 

(Mat)

:welcome: aboard Mat - good to have you here :)  Your modelling experience sounds like you're doing exactly the same as the rest of us... making it up as you go along, and making mistakes.  We're only (vaguely) human afterall ;)

Welcome Aboard Mat ... Colonial here mostly WW2 aviation some Cold War as well. If myself or anyone else can help just ask and we will endeavor to do our best to help. Everyone here still occasionally goofs ... though i wonder who will admit it 😜 . There is always something new we want to try and not every experiment has a positive result. Thats why we are called builders not assemblers.

Welcome/wilkommen/bienvenue/etc. Good to see that you've added your first name because it feels far more polite and friendly to address someone as Mat rather than Fish!

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

... though i wonder who will admit it 😜

I was going to start a thread with a good confession of a recent recurrence of rabbit-brain syndrome, but I figured that the topic has been done many times before.

• Like 1

I recently did a 1/72 mustang. I spent days and days on it. Got it all built, got it masked. Windshield was masked and  everything got painted. First airbrushing in years. I was all happy and patting myself on the back. Took some photo's and emailed them to a friend. After i hit send i started looking at the pictures to admire my handiwork. Thats when i saw it ... head hanging low i realised i'd forgotten to paint the instument panel coaming underneath the windshield. Everything looking smart and a-ok except the bright patch of unpainted grey plastic underneath the canopy windshield. 😱 That was my Homer J. simpson DOHHH Moment !

• Like 1

Oh, that's just like the rear of the pilot's bulkhead in my Hellcat Mk.I...

My latest SNAFU to which I alluded was, thankfully, redeemable just in time! I've been working on a HobbyBoss TBF-1 for a while and it's a bit weak in some areas. The turret gun is soft and there's nothing for it in the Eduard cockpit set. I know, I thought, I can use that spare RB Model M2 barrel. Easy. Well, I was just about to prime the assembly when it dawned on me exactly why that barrel was a bit longer and such a snug fit in the turret glazing.

I don't own a 1/48th .50cal M2 barrel! I did, however, possess a 1/35th .303 M2 barrel left over from an M3 Stuart...

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1

Thanks for the greetings everyone :) So much to read on this forum! Head already awash with 'ohhh, that's a clever way of doing that'.

I think a moment of glory was a few years back, taking a MkVI Panther which I'd assiduously painted (first real bit of airbrushing) in a very interesting three-colour camouflage scheme then, er, went a bit mad using a Tamiya weathering stick to add some mud effects. The thing looked like it had been buried for seventy years in a muddy river before I took notice. Then I found I couldn't get the cursed stuff off. Argh! After that the weathering stick got blacklisted and buried at the bottom of the toolbox :D 

• Like 2

This is my mantra, which I often say to myself whenever I try something new. Always test it first; always test it first. Do as I say, not necessarily as I do... but I mostly take my own advice!

• Like 2