Russian Navy Helicopter Colours

wafu_vasco

I think we are all agreed that in the entire history of aviation, rotary wing ASW is the most exciting, high octane and dynamic flying in history. Where's everybody gone? What do you mean, you don't agree?

Anyway, I've just purchased a 1/72 Kamov KA-27 Helix-A to add to my display shelf of pinging. It's a Zvezda kit so I'm guessing the colour codes will be Russian as a result. Does anybody know what exact colours I should be using for this classically beautiful aircraft? To stress, it's the plain ASW one, not that boring Helix-B with all the rockets. 

• Like 1

Please check out the colour specification info on PDF instruction of Begemot's 1/48 and 1/72 Kamov ASW and SAR decal sheets.

http://www.begemotdecals.ru/catalog.php?lang=2

I always try to use Akan paints when making Soviet or Russian subject.

http://hpns.eu.nettihotelli.org/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=70_71_95

Edited by tsepajev
  • Thanks 1

Wow - now THAT is useful, thank you! I'm just trawling through the 1/72 ASW pdf as you said, and I'm a little confused. It mentions Dark Blue/Grey as the colour I need and then promptly gives me the FS code of 35237, which with every paint manufacturer I've checked is actually Blue/Grey Pale, which is very different. As luck would have it, a certain online shopping site is pairing up these two colours and visually judging them against some Google pics of the KA-27, it does appear that Vallejo Dark Blue/Grey is spot on for this aircraft, even if it is a different FS code from the one in the pdf. What d'you reckon? Just buy it as is or am I missing something?

Edited by wafu_vasco

Be wary of museum examples - they aren't always painted correctly......

The Ka-27PL at Zhulany.....

day03_023.jpg

The Ka-25PL at the same museum.....

day03_024.jpg

Ka-27PS (SAR version) on the ramp at Chkalovsly.....

02_day01_04.jpg

KA-27PS of the Russian Border Guard - at Gelendzhik.....

day_01_071.jpg

day02_002.jpg

Opperational Ka-27PS at Gelendzhik....

02_day08_11.jpg

Another one on QRA at Gelendzhik......

02_day08_12.jpg

The pilot - Sasha - let me sit in it.....

02_day08_13.jpg

I think this is a PL - taken at a small museum at Kubinka....

day2_009.JPG

Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't have any pics of operational ASW variants - but I hope you get a flavour of the variety of colours - and shades - of Russian Helix's.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hello Ken,

That helps a tonne, thank you so much. It almost seems that one can't go wrong as long as it's something realistic. It's like the RN Sea Kings, I suppose, which have been through not only a number of colour schemes for different roles, but also variations on grey within the same role and same aircraft. I think I'll go for Vallejo dark blue/grey as I like the shade, especially after the colour disaster with the SH-60B I'm currently working on!

• 1 month later...
On 02/09/2017 at 12:17 PM, wafu_vasco said:

I think we are all agreed that in the entire history of aviation, rotary wing ASW is the most exciting, high octane and dynamic flying in history. Where's everybody gone? What do you mean, you don't agree?

Of course we agree.  It’s just that it’s so obvious we were rather surprised you felt it needed pointing out.

• Haha 1

The Ka-27PO (77 yellow) in Victory Park,Moscow was in the same blue colour but appears to have been repainted a rather garish medium blue.

I found this shot of a Ka-27 in the same colour which was something I never knew as I thought they were all grey except for the SAR ones

kamov_ka27_helix_l1.jpg