Top Gun film weapons

Simon382

Morning all, I'm very happily building the Tamiya Tomcat at the mo and have decided to model Mavs jet from Top Gun. Anyone know what weapons were carried during the training element?? I've trawled the internet and have managed to find images of everything but the weapons! Any info will be gratefully received

ps If ever you want a kit that basically makes itself go for the Tamiya Tomcat. Any reviews you read are correct. IMHO it's by far and away the best kit I have EVER made

During all scenes the aircrafts seem to carry 2 Sparrows and 2 Sidewinders on the wing pylons, plus the two underfuseage tanks, as shown in the picture linked above. In some scenes during the dissimilar combat versus the Skyhawks only one Sidewinder seem to be present but it may just be a matter of the missile being hard to see.

All missiles were mosty likely inert, in some pictures I have the blue bands are visible on various sections of the missiles, personally I'd put blue bands on all sections.

This kind of load was just used for the movie, generally aircrafts during real Top Gun training would carry a much lighter load, like the one mentioned by Richard, and wouldn't even carry the Sparrow òauncher under the pylon but rather the Sidewinder launcher (that doesn't seem to be included in any Tomcat kit...)

• Like 2