Revell kits for The Last Jedi

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Bubblearch said:

Not sure about the walker.

is it based on a Gorilla or a Baboon or something . Those front legs, bit odd. 

The new Walker reminds me of those robot animal toys which were popular a few years back- Zoids.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zoids&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8q57ytK_WAhVC6iYKHWi-CPcQ_AUICigB&biw=977&bih=762

2 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

The new Walker reminds me of those robot animal toys which were popular a few years back- Zoids.

Exactly how I've been seeing it. Zoids were (and still are) great, but it's just not the right look for Star Wars. I mean, it literally is a knuckle dragger. Hardly an evolution of the original walkers. Seems like something that was designed primarily to work as a toy.

Andy:cat:

21 hours ago, Bubblearch said:

Not sure about the walker.

is it based on a Gorilla or a Baboon or something . Those front legs, bit odd. 

According to the designer, it's supposed to be a development to counter the originals venerabliity against tow cables. That and, it's supposed to hunker down to shoot the giant gun on its back. IMHO it is weird looking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just fyi, but Revell has re-released the Zvezda Star Destroyer as a TLJ Edition. It doesn't contain paint as the anniversary edition and is slightly cheaper. Around 85-90€ in germany.

They've also re-released the Republic Star Destroyer, which is now more expensive than the huge Zvezda ISD and twice as expensive than the same kit they re-released in the US last year...

Edited by Wulf

The kits look pretty good, if a wee bit toy-like in places. I guess they are aimed at a particular market and it ain't us modellers of "a certain age". I would hazard a guess that the prices will be on the high side.... those Disney/Lucasfilm merchandising rights would not have been cheap at all. 

Agree with the comments on the new Walker design - look like something they would have rejected when they were trying to get the original one right. Thing is, when you think about it, the AT-AT concept is a fairly ridiculous one.... huge, slow-moving, cumbersome beasties that are very easy to topple over (not to mention that they would be useless in some types of terrain). In a universe where anti-gravity propulsion systems are so commonplace, the Walker design seems to make as much sense as a bow-and-arrow. However, they do look extremely cool in the movies, so I can forgive the "artistic licence".     

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 1

I am not a fan of the direction revell have taken with their star wars kits, they are essentially ready to assemble embellished toys and not serious attempts to make serious model kits, the x-wing looks terrible, the nose is all out of proportion, the a-wing has working retractable undercarriage that retracts into big open slots in the underside, no undercarriage doors or detailed gear bays and because they all have working electronics they will need a poorly hidden button to operate  and a speaker grill for the sound which means a further compromise in detailing, revell star wars kits started off poor and usually inferior to the 20 year old amt kits and have gone further downhill, Ah rant over .

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I did read on one of the fan pages and in some *spoiler* articles that the new walker is roughly based on a silver back gorilla. It will supposedly move similarly using the forward arms to stabilize when it lowers to fire the main weapon. 

I have no problem having vehicles/equipment being inspired by animals- it has been done before in the OT and PT films. My problem is that they took it too far into imitating the animal, the guy traced his design over the image of a Gorilla. It may look OK in the film, but I do not plan on adding one to my shelf.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gavingav said:

Ha! - Return of the 1:2700 ISD. Sooner than I thought. Hope it will not be sold out as quickly as the first edition.

Edit: OK it is already out and still available.Somehow I completely missed it. Maybe because of the new box design.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, monsterpartyhat said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just another Fine Molds re-issue. And more expensive than the Bandai 1:144, too. 

Thats a shame, there was really no viable competition when they re-issued the 72nd falcon but there is a better competitor in 144th so revell should really be beating bandai on price, at the moment it's likely we will get a less accurate revell re-issue and a steeper price, --illogical .

It seems to be the trend with Revell.

They just re-released the Venator Star Destroyer for whoopin' 100€ in EU. The same kit got reintroduced in the US last year for 40$...

It's currently cheaper to import it from the US than buying it here, even with shipping and taxes. Illogical²

• Like 1

The Venator kit IMO is one of the best Star Wars kits Revell produced (not repackaged). It has a good level of detail and looks great either OOB or Modded. If the Ertl ISD had been like the Venator I would not have craved the Zvezda kit nearly so much.

Sadly, who ever is in charge over at Revell has decided that was the wrong approach and shifted their market focus on snap together toys with sound/light tricks.

4 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

The Venator kit IMO is one of the best Star Wars kits Revell produced (not repackaged). It has a good level of detail and looks great either OOB or Modded. If the Ertl ISD had been like the Venator I would not have craved the Zvezda kit nearly so much.

Sadly, who ever is in charge over at Revell has decided that was the wrong approach and shifted their market focus on snap together toys with sound/light tricks.

Have they actually shifted their focus? I know a lot of their recent kits for things like Star Wars and Halo are Snap-tite/build and play stuff (Rogue One didn't even get a model kit release outside of a Y-wing, something that isn't really part of Rogue One), but haven't they released a few of the smaller box kits recently? The Jedi Starfighters, Republic Gunship, Sith Infiltrator Etc. I'm not sure if they're an exception to the norm or something...The Last Jedi doesn't even seem to have any actual model kits from them, just the toy-like stuff.

They did have a number of kits more properly considered models released at the same time as the Venator, but The Force Awakens released showed their change in focus- toy like snap together with gimmicks.

My son is building the new ISD from Revell, we are removing the lights and sounds and puttying up the fold out stand leg panels. It is a reasonably good kit, far better than the Ertl ISD kit from long ago, but still designed for a ten minute snap assembly for young kids

20 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

They did have a number of kits more properly considered models released at the same time as the Venator, but The Force Awakens released showed their change in focus- toy like snap together with gimmicks.

My son is building the new ISD from Revell, we are removing the lights and sounds and puttying up the fold out stand leg panels. It is a reasonably good kit, far better than the Ertl ISD kit from long ago, but still designed for a ten minute snap assembly for young kids

That really is a shame then, the Bandai kits aren't even available officially here so Revell are the only real choice unless that doesn't involve going out of your way to get the Bandai kits. If they were just the easy-kits that wouldn't be so bad as they'd at least still be a type of model kit, but the addition of lights and sounds changes them from just that into something designed as a toy primarily.

I was hoping it would only be a temporary thing and they'd release some more typical kits later, but considering The Force Awakens, Rogue One and now the Last Jedi haven't really had any new non-toy kits, i doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Edited by TheVoidDragon