Trumpeter Soviet SU-100 Tank Destroyer

BlackMax12

Here's a start on a new project.  Trumpeter's 1/16 scale Soviet SU-100 Tank destroyer.  Finished assembling the engine, strange they have you do that first.  Looks good

but not any better than the engine in the AFV Club 1/35 T-34, just bigger.

Not nearly as many parts in this kit as the Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV I just finished and the parts look clunkier, less well finished or detailed, just something doesn't look as good as the previous kit.

Of course IMHO that Panzer IV was exceptional, especially for 1/16 scale, must be a newer kit than this SU-100.  Also to my disappointment this one didn't come with a metal barrel, of course I should

have realized that having read several reviews on the kit.

It's started so I'll have to see how it turns out, hopefully not as many mistakes as I made with that 1/16 Jagdtiger I ended up binning.

wtBQvtH.jpgR1pVkA9.jpgyh0SKnN.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

More progress.  That working suspension with the metal springs is a bit finicky.  The front swing arm on each side doesn't fit right using the parts they call out so you have to switch the parts side to side and all's well.

The tracks are a joy as they click together and 72 links per side takes about 20 minutes to assemble both sides and tracks are done.  Better than the Rye Field 960 piece set for an Abrams that takes 2 days.

Got to think about starting to paint before assembling any more of the fighting compartment as there's lots of small stuff in there.

Here it is as of today.

ASolcug.jpgWjd5SZH.jpgXdHstjg.jpg

• Like 3

Got a little more done. Filled numerous punch out marks in different panels and sand sand.  Mostly can't see them as they are all interior panels but

whatever.  Assembled the main gun and that's a gun!.  Big sucker and lots of parts but looks good.

Had to install some kind of travel block as the swing arms kept dropping too low then the springs would force them out of position.  Tough to get them back in place and the shocks lined up when you can't see.  There's now a piece of Evergreen styrene

installed below where the springs attach to the swing arms so they can't drop out and the add-on can't be seen as they fit up inside the spring cavity.  Hard to explain but solves the problem.

That's all, slow going on this one.

jOYMsqV.jpgu2JMMj6.jpgXbER02V.jpgQlE4g8h.jpg

On 02/09/2017 at 00:00, BlackMax12 said:

hopefully not as many mistakes as I made with that 1/16 Jagdtiger I ended up binning

Ah, the bin of shame. I know it well. Although, for a 1/16 Jagdtiger, your bin's clearly a bit bigger than mine! :lol:

Here's hoping that this one goes much better.

Here it is as of today.  The engine compartment is pretty much finished and moving on to the fighting compartment.  Trying to find some wire of the proper

dimension to simulate the fuel injector hoses on the engine and have to dullcoat the exhaust pipes as they are way too glossy.

0GUICh5.jpgUs3E6xd.jpg5BrRWBF.jpgKhYwdmU.jpgRfuBYZe.jpg0vRQ433.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Clive

Getting heavier and unbalanced now with all the weight at the rear end so it's harder to work on the front end.  Maybe should have left some of that stuff out but

then the front would get heavier and so on.  Some of the parts aren't labelled correctly for the fighting compartment and the drawings leave some guessing where the 

stuff actually fits.  It's look for pictures of other builds on the net and shamelessly copy other's work sometimes.  Too bad most of this is going to get covered.

Lloyd

John

Don't worry it will look like a pigsty when finished, the Soviets didn't worry about aesthetics.

I got the fuel lines on the engine, that's not fun, especially when you get 9 bent up and installed and realize you missed one so off they come and go back to re-bend and re-install. They look good but will probably never be seen.

I've got the fighting compartment whipped and ready for paint, it's really busy in there now and I'm trying to get in the mood

this morning to start on the 40-50 shells that have to go in the racks.  There are about  6-7 racks full of shells and each shell has a

retaining clamp which will be a real pain in the whosits.

Lloyd

And here it is as of this evening.  The engine compartment is pretty much done and the fighting compartment has had some work.  There are only

33 shells which isn't bad compared to the 75 in the 1/16 Panzer IV.  Still need to install the 25 clips to hold the shells in place and 3 different styles.

Then some serious dirtification, chipping and scraping and pretty much messing it up.

Started looking at the 5 drums that attach to the rear and sides and the photo etch straps aren't pretty.  Otherwise the exterior is completed, the tracks are painted black and it's off to the paint booth

for some black primer and white shading.  Haven't decided if it's going to be some sort of green or even whitewashed but it will be lots dirtier than the 1/35 T-34 just finished.

Here's the beast, can't see much through the hatches but the lid will be removable for display.

LkIBep4.jpgXXEj8u5.jpgTfDRUOS.jpgcBsbW57.jpgH7ZA8Kn.jpg4tYaSyc.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Here are a bunch of pics as of today.  It's pretty much done except the tracks/tires look too new so I'll pull the tracks and tires off and try to distress them some.

The rest of the vehicle is pretty beat up and those Joes were pretty sloppy inside but the tracks look like they were just replaced, and maybe they were.

Tried 3 different colors of green on this and it shows in places but overall wasn't worth the effort if it's going to be dirtied up this much.

Lots of pics, got a little camera happy and still has to make it outside for pictures in the grass.  Once it's closed up the interior is gone so need some pics.

ktOci27.jpg7fYLZUB.jpgNmco7e1.jpgfBHxILM.jpgF4XTi3U.jpgJlL0HRi.jpg4NPEzH2.jpg3iJjeXK.jpgztYxWhJ.jpgyokrwmV.jpgpZrqt1M.jpgrRJHEZp.jpgRRl56Dn.jpg

Tracks look a little more ridden hard and put away wet and the suspension works.

That's pretty much all folks.  I cancelled the 1/16 Trumpeter M1A1 but I have a second try at a 1/16 Jagdtiger coming.  Now I know what

not to do it should turn out a bit better.  Expensive learning process the first attempt.

QmE5cIS.jpgFqWaAPk.jpgqdkEJyR.jpg

15 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

That's pretty much all folks.  I cancelled the 1/16 Trumpeter M1A1 but I have a second try at a 1/16 Jagdtiger coming.  Now I know what

not to do it should turn out a bit better.  Expensive learning process the first attempt.

But at least the spares box should look useful now.

Nice job on the beast Lloyd, the finish is excellent.

John.

The city dumped the "spares" big blue bin several months ago.  They do that every week so anything I chuck in there goes to a landfill, and sometimes

that's the best place for it.

Thanks for looking John.

These Soviet vehicles are kind of addictive, I might try a 1/16 T-34/85 after that Jagdtiger.

Lloyd

• Like 1