Salt chipping technique questions

Ilie Mihai

Hello everyone!

I have some questions about the salt chipping technique. 

I am currently working on a F/A-18E. When I get to the point of doing this...I want to try the salt chipping technique. But I am a little bit confused when it comes to the best way of doing it. Since the chipped paint isn't rust or anything like this I was thinking about a few ways of doing it but I am not sure which one is the best one and which one will give me the best result and the best look.

So here they are:

1) I've been thinking about doing the top coat which in my case it is going to be Dark Ghost Grey (MRP-097 = FS36320) then do the salt chipping technique, let the salt dry and then use some Smoke clear (MRP-271). The idea behind this would be that the Smoke would darken the dark ghost gray a little bit more. Then remove the salt.

2) I've also been thinking about painting the top coat the same as the coat that is on the underside of the jet which is Light Ghost Gray (MRP-038 = FS36375) then do the salt chipping technique then apply a coat of Dark Ghost Gray (MRP-097 = FS36320), let it dry and then remove the paint.

Which is the better option? In case you have any other suggestions please let me know.

This is the effect I am after:

Also...should I use different types of salt? Or is fine table salt good enough? 

This is the reference photo I have with the salt applied on the model:

Best regards!

7 hours ago, modelmaker said:

might I suggest, unless you've already seen it, a superb piece by Chuck540Z3.  I believe it is still pinned in hints and tips, very informative.  good luck, your Hornet wing looks good as is!  

Perfect!! This is exactly what I needed!!!

Do you happen to know of any topic about doing/applying your own washes using oil paints?

Best regards!