F-15E Strike Eagle what-if 1:48 Academy kit in RAF colours... FINISHED!

Kallisti

Well having just completed my 3rd 22" Space:1999 Eagle transporter build, I thought I'd have a go at something a little less complicated and more fun! I had a search through the stash and found this kit I bought for half price or so from Modelzone a good few years back

DSC_8573.JPG

Its not that great a kit but I thought why not... then I remembered the F-18 Hornet I did a few years ago in FAA colours in the What IF GB

DSCF6976.JPG

and a thought crossed my mind...

(swirly FX)

What if on the mid-90s, a major fault had been discovered in the Tornado fleet? This fault grounds the entire RAF fleet of Tornados for an indeterminate length of time. In desperation to fulfil their commitments to NATO and the EU in Iraq, Bosnia and Kosovo, the RAF resort to leasing some US aircraft to fill the gaps. One of these is the F-15 Strike Eagle to take the place of the grounded GR1 and F3 Tornados.

I like that idea, and it just so happens I have some old Tornado decals left over from my 5 Sqn F3 build from a couple of years back!

DSC_8575.JPG

27 Sqn with the Elephant on the tail looks like it might be fun! So away we go - first is the box contents:

DSC_8577.JPG

Next some extra that will be used since the weapons load in this kit isn't very good

DSC_8581.JPG

I don't want to spend too much on this as its a 'fun' build and not meant to be taken seriously, so I don't want to spend money on PE for the cockpit and the seats aren't very good in the kit so instead I dug into my stash of PJ Productions RAF pilots and found these two

DSC_8582.JPG

They should do the job! Some more weapons from the spares box

DSC_8584.JPG

So thats the materials, lets start building. I didn't originally intend to do a build thread on this so there aren't many photos of the build up to this point, but its pretty bog-standard. First off the cockpit and this is mostly painting anyway...

DSC_8578.JPG

DSC_8579.JPG

The most difficult bit of construction SO FAR has been attaching the nose to the main fuselage. Having read a few other builds of this and other versions of this kit, I did the sensible thing and added some plastic tabs to the inside of the joint to help guide the sides, but even still there was a bit of filler required

DSC_8589.JPG

The main parts are all together now

DSC_8588.JPG

The wing joint was okay, a few spots of Mr Surfacer 500 helped fill the gaps

DSC_8590.JPG

DSC_8591.JPG

But there were places where a significant amount of filler was required!

DSC_8593.JPG

Not included in the photos are the tailpipes which are in the process of being painted with Alclad. I'm going to mask the rear of the fuselage and Alclad that with Aluminium when the time comes. 

Finally in this initial post I've been collecting the pieces for the weapons load:

DSC_8585.JPG

Not included in the pic is the large fuel tank that will be attached on the centre-line and the Sniper-XR pod that will replace the kit supplied (and quite poorly moulded) Litening pod. I'll be adding the conformal fuel tanks as well and the hardpoints on them will have to be filled up :)

Oh you want to know the colour scheme I'll be using? Well I had a thought and if I did it grey, it'd just look like a normal US F-15... however if I did it in green and grey...

1280px-TornadoGR1_XVSqn_RAF_1987.jpeg

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 4

Hmm just been doing some checking up and Sniper didn't come into service until the early 2000s, so thats too late for what I'm aiming at - looks like I'll have to go back to the Litening pod, but the Hasegawa sets have a nice replacement so I'll use that.

Pretty good idea !

Or a English Mirage 2000C for air superiority !

Remind me this drawing from Jean Barbaud

WP_20170901_21_03_00_Pro

The F-18 has been propectively the jack of all trades :rofl2:

Will take a seat and look sipping my beer ! If you don't mind ! :drink:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Been busy with things so this build has had large gaps in progress, so here is a bit of an update: First engine exhausts have been painted with Alclad - this isn't a great photo sadly

DSC_8599.JPG

The wings and tails and engine intakes have been attached, the latter of which needed a significant amount of filler

DSC_8603.JPG

DSC_8602.JPG

Here is what it looks like right side up

DSC_8600.JPG

Attaching the wing pylons was a silly thing to do and they had to be removed when it came to the painting and masking. The wing joints needed some filler, I used Mr Surfacer 500 applied with a toothpick to get a good finish. The canopies had a really obvious mould line down the middle of each transparency

DSC_8606.JPG

So out came the micromesh and after a suitable amount of elbow grease...

DSC_8608.JPG

Ditto with the main canopy

DSC_8604.JPG

I've put a lot of work into the weapons load, I've now got a complete set of Hasegawa weapons sets and used quite a few bits from them.  I need to do some photographs of the weapons as they've now all been painted up, decaled and are about to be weathered. Tonight, the main aircraft got sprayed with its green/grey camo and now looks quite nifty... I'll put some photos of it up next time.

• 2 weeks later...

So here it is complete.

To be brutally honest its not one of my best builds, I got a bit bored towards the end and rushed things a bit. Had a huge problem with the final matt varnish layer - it kept going chalky so was having to re-spray with gloss then matt again very carefully!

It was intended as a bit of fun anyway so I'm not going to be too precious about it :) Its different...

DSC_8754.JPG

DSC_8755.JPG

DSC_8764.JPG

DSC_8762.JPG

DSC_8757.JPG

DSC_8758.JPG

DSC_8760.JPG

I also think I need a better display base :D

• Like 9