When to paint sub assemblies?

fidgeh

Hi

I have a big build coming up, and one of the (many) apprehensions I have about it is when to paint sub assemblies. In the past I usually get this wrong, leaving bits that are virtually impossible to get at once assembled. I'm not the best modeller out there but would like to get this build somewhere near right, do people have hard and fast rules about this or is it go with your gut?

My glue of choice is liquid, ie MEK type for raw plastic or Revell Contacta Professional for other bits...but what do you use to stick painted bits together? Once you've stuck them together do you then repaint, prime amd topcoat, to cover up any glue spillage / seepage?

So many questions but I would like to get this right if possible. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Don't ask... I'm still trying to find the perfect balance. But it's different for almost every kit which I've built, and that does not help me or anyone else to provide a single answer. It's easier for an aircraft than it is for, say, an artillery tractor with exposed chassis, engine, etc. Bikes may be the worst because all of the sub-assemblies will be on show and therefore every aspect of the finish is critical.

Sometimes, I judge each sub-assembly to perfection; sometimes not, ending up either with too many fiddly small sections to paint and join or awkward shapes which are difficult to even airbrush to 100% coverage.

Glue has been a question for me, too. If airbrushed mating surfaces can't be scraped or sanded, I usually resort to superglue/CA for a clean and reasonably strong joint, but I was thinking of covering mating surfaces with a bit of liquid mask when I recognise that they will be tricky or critical.

For me i usually pre-paint most parts sub-assemblies. But for things like the cockpit i paint individual then touch up after glue. For things like landing gear. I usually paint the wheels as one sub group and the actual gear after gluing the Fiddly bits on. I usually brush paint landing gear, cockpits, & wheels etc because it helps give them a grubbier well used look. And last as well as most important thing i do. If it can wait till after paint weathering then i will put it on at the very end. Going so far as to modify parts like landing gear so i can avoid mounting during assembly. Less chance of snapping something off. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle