Nie pójdziem żywo w trumnę (1/72 IBG RWD-8)

Procopius

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice smooth finish there PC and the cowl does look good doesn't it? Good stuff :)

Thanks, Buffers!

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

That's looking rather nice PC, even the PE control horns have stayed on.

So far.

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That cowl now looks good enough for Jehovah.

I learned at an early age that nothing I ever did was good enough for Jehovah, which proved to be an excellent preparation for marriage.

I've had a day and a half, gentlefolk.

I crawled into bed last night a little past midnight, so foolishly I tried to eke out twenty minutes extra sleep this morning. While I was thus reposing, Mrs P was left alone with Winston and Grant. While the latter pooped, the former took advantage of Mrs P's distraction to scale the kitchen table, sit in the baby's little rocker pod that was up on it, and then go over the side, really hard. It probably looked a little something like this:

image.gif

Winston then started sobbing, which, okay, fine, kids do that, and then vomiting, which, no normally they don't. So I awoke to Mrs P shouting "EDWAAAAAARD", ran downstairs, was handed a bare-rumped Grant, and then saw Mrs P out the door with Winnie. Oh, and we were taking the car in to be detailed and purged of two years worth of accumulated snacks caught in the crevices of the back seat, so all the carseats were removed. It was that kind of morning.

And Mrs P forgot her cell phone.

Ultimately I hitched a ride over to the hospital emergency room (god knows how much this will cost us, in The Finest Healthcare System In The World) and Winnie was okay, but it was a fraught few hours.

Here he is at the hospital. 

20170922_083531

He tried to throw himself off the bed a few times, principally for the novelty of it, I suspect.

Here's why our healthcare is so much more expensive than yours: supply wastage.

20170922_081456

Mrs P bore the whole thing pretty well (image only very slightly digitally manipulated):

IMG_20170922_170737_processed

But after all of this, she was very drained (and informed me in incredibly vulgar terms that a part of her anatomy was hurting quite a bit), so I took Winston on a dad date to a local hot dog place:

20170922_110806

As Chicago's a city of artery-blocked fatties, the thing we do better than anyone else in the world is make things to make ourselves even fatter, and the Chicago-style hot dog is a triumph of this art. Every part of it is designed to protect a fragile mind from identifying that it's eating a hot dog, or contemplating what might go into a hot dog casing. The Mean Wiener, where I took Winston (and where I'll happily take you, if you come to this blighted land) does an amazing one. It also makes milk shakes, and, my reasoning mind overcome with love for my greatest creation, Winston got one:

20170922_112411

I paid a bitter price for this later, as it went through him like armour-piercing bullets through a goose. But the less said about that the better.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Got a little more done on the RWD-8 today. Masked the metal areas off and started on the khaki colour.

20170922_222519

20170922_222514

20170922_222506

Still more to do, but reasonably happy with my progress so far.

• Like 12

Oh, I am SO glad that I never reproduced. I like a fun day as much as the next chap, but that sounds... yeah, words fail me.

Women can be incredibly vulgar, much more so than men. GAY women en masse are a rare treat, especially if they're comfortable with your company- you'll learn things that not even sailors know...

• Haha 4

Wow, what a day! Pleased to hear everyone is OK and I hope Mrs P's anatomy returns to normal soon. Ditto the vocabulary. :D

That cowling looks really nice, especially against the khaki.

Coming along nicely PC.

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Why are you hiding the tail of that kit Mr P? ;)

I added a tiny bit of filler to the tailplane roots, so it isn't painted yet. Didn't want to leave big meaty fingerprints on the drying paint!

• Like 2

Wow, the saga continues. Poor Winnie threw up a bunch more this morning (including into Mrs P's open mouth, which is essentially what I imagine Hell to be), so we had to go see a pediatrician (not his normal one), who told us he probably had a skull fracture and possibly internal bleeding and would need a CT scan. Then we had to rush over to the hospital for an emergency CT scan, and since they don't have an anesthesiologist, I had to hold my sobbing child down while he got the scan. Daddy may have been crying quite a bit himself at this point.

Mercifully, he does NOT have a fracture, and there's no internal bleeding. He does have a pretty heavy-duty concussion (and threw up again after eating a celebratory doughnut, after which he demanded "more doh-dut", bless his heart), but he should be okay within twenty-four hours. This has been a frankly terrifying weekend, and I feel exhausted and about ten years older. Being a parent is fun!

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

On 16/09/2017 at 1:30 AM, Procopius said:

Happy to inform you that Grant just has hydronephrosis in one kidney, and no cysts -- stuff is just backed up into it. This can fixed with surgery, and sometimes it even goes away by itself, but he'll grow up with two kidneys and he should be okay. Huge, huge, huge relief.

Oh goodness me, such a huge relief for you and Mrs P, great news. 

Many congratulations on Grant's arrival in the Family Procopius!

What an epic Odyssey! Several years ago I had quite similar accident, Jadzia (Jadwiga, Hedwig - my middle kid, then youngest) was about 10 months old, able crawler but not yet walking. When my wife went to see her doctor, I was left with 3 years old Stefan and that little Jadzia. They were playing quietly on the floor. I went to the toliet, have done what was to do - with the doors open, continuously watching the little kobolds. Everything was right. So I turned back for a few seconds in order to wash my hands (the toilet door still open). That was too much of carelessness. Jadzia started like Usain Bolt starts his 100 m record-breaking sprints and, on her four limbs, she run towards our IKEA Trofast:

trofast-rega-z-pojemnikami-bia-y__011656

...and, while I was desperately running to grab her, she climbed like a crazy, step by step, to the very top and... has dived on her head, like a Dauntless dropped bomb on the Japanese carrier, and hit the wooden floor with her round head.
She was not vomiting, only crying loudly. It was late evening, I was home alone with two little kids. That was probably the most difficuld decision in my life, but I stayed home, hoping that her skull is not fractured, brain doesn't have internal bleeding etc. But the God was merciful and everything was right...

The RWD-8 looks great, the metalic paint is perfect! After all that I would never tell you that the cowling is installed a bit too high, its top should be flush with the fuselage top. I would not say that ;)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

The RWD-8 looks great, the metalic paint is perfect! After all that I would never tell you that the cowling is installed a bit too high, its top should be flush with the fuselage top. I would not say that ;)

Should it? Whoops! I guess I'll have to pull it off and remount it. Alas!

2017-09-23_03-10-52

That wasn't so hard. Looks much better.

Terrifying story about poor Jadzia! I'm glad she ended up being okay. Really, I think it's the waiting to know if they're okay that's the worst. I have a very active imagination.

• Like 3

That's great! You are quite close to finishing it!
Don't forget to paint the oil tank in metal colour.

32.jpg

PIC_1-S-1300-10.jpg

I understand you, my imagination is very creative too... And still the kids' achievments exceed it a lot!

Good that the story of Winston's downfall had happy ending. You all need some peace now. At least a few days ;-)

• Like 4

The saga continues! Well handled at the scan PC, sounds like a real trial. Pleased to hear that Winnie’s OK and I hope he’s feeling better soon. 

The cowling’s still looking good, if not better!

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

As Chicago's a city of artery-blocked fatties, the thing we do better than anyone else in the world is make things to make ourselves even fatter...

I think the Glaswegian's would beg to differ. Have you yet to come across the delicacy known as the Stonner kebab?

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20060630015057755

That said, Preston are also apparently after the crown...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/kebaburger-of-your-dreams?utm_term=.th2R88KJG#.wtENJJz4R

8 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I think the Glaswegian's would beg to differ. Have you yet to come across the delicacy known as the Stonner kebab?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/kebaburger-of-your-dreams?utm_term=.th2R88KJG#.wtENJJz4R

Glasgow - the home of the deep fried Mars Bar. 

Also my niece tells me a popular dish is a Glasgow Salad - a large plate of chips.

Hope Winnie is on the way to recovery. And lovely work on the plane. 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:58 PM, charlie_c67 said:

On 9/24/2017 at 2:14 AM, 825 said:

Glasgow - the home of the deep fried Mars Bar. 

Also my niece tells me a popular dish is a Glasgow Salad - a large plate of chips.

Hope Winnie is on the way to recovery. And lovely work on the plane. 

It's touching that Scotland thinks it can compete with a GLOBAL SUPERPOWER. The Monster Thickburger, served by a large national chain has 1,420 calories, and it's practically de rigeur to get it with a milkshake and fries. There's also the soul-searing horror of the Heart Attack Grill. (I'm not normally bothered by excess in food -- I don't have to eat it --but I think the latter almost borders on wickedness. But that's free will* for you.) Once again, Scotland, you find that there is nothing you can do that we can't do in a more horrible way. You should see what we do with kilts here.

Anyhoo! It now seems very likely that Winston's post fall vomiting was the result of a one-in-a-million coinciding with the catching of a stomach bug, based on subsequent evidence too disgusting to get into here. As a result, he was home from school today, exasperating Mrs P, because it cuts into her baby time. Now he's finally in bed, and I squeezed in a little modelling time.

20170925_205553

Please take my word for it that the tail really is RLM65. 

20170925_205600

Also unmasked the oil tank. 

Now, a quandary approaches. We'll need to start applying decals shortly. The national markings supplied with the custom decals are sadly not the best, and rather orange to boot. I have Techmod's PZL P.7 and PZL P.11 sheets, and the markings look a great deal better, but also appear to be larger. Polish Fighter Colours seems to suggest that marking size varied from type to type in the PAF, so I'm not entirely confident I can safely use the P.7/P.11 markings, though they look much nicer. Thoughts, gentlefolk?

20170925_205710

‘There are no choices without personal freedom, Buckeroo. It’s not us who are dead inside. These things you find so weak and contemptible in us — these are just the hazards of being free.’
‘But what does this U.S.A. expression want to mean, this Buckeroo?’
Steeply turned to face away into the space they were above. ‘And now here we go. Now you will say how free are we if you dangle fatal fruit before us and we cannot help ourselves from temptation. And we say “human” to you. We say that one cannot be human without freedom.’

-- David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

• Like 3