Nie pójdziem żywo w trumnę (1/72 IBG RWD-8)

Procopius

And, almost inevitably, I agree with him

You have the look, a look many a chap might have at the start of a great adventure

Follow me on the skidding ride

Its awesome

Kinda like your modelling when I come to think on...

Be, then keep happy PC

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

This is your best work yet PC, too bad it wasn't ready in time for the O'Hare show.

Oh, I don't compete -- too scared of losing (or too harshly realistic an assessment of my abilities, perhaps). I don't like being judged. 

13 hours ago, CedB said:

... but, hopefully, not the fattest you will be my friend. One chin is never enough IMHO:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

The danger being, of course, that one may underestimate how far one has to go to the finish line, as Hunter did, and be forced to resort to radical measures to escape the prison of one's own body. However, as my wife and children are out of town for the week now, I did eat an entire pizza and a loaf of "stuffed cheesy bread" from the worst pizza place in town as a nod to your advice, Buffers. 

Anyway, tonight I said "to hell with it" and put the top wing on:

20171112_235713

I'm sorry to report that the hitherto perfect fit of the kit was a little off here as regards the struts and cabanes, and I was forced to resort to a Procrustean solution to get them to fit. This may have been a result of fitting the struts out of order, or of misaligning the resin wing. Perhaps the gods were imperfectly propitiated. 

20171112_235415

Soon: upper wing and rudder decals, finish the wheels, and some minor rigging. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I did eat an entire pizza and a loaf of "stuffed cheesy bread" from the worst pizza place in town

Dat's Ma Boy! A little of what you fancy does you good.

I agree with Cookie PC - she is looking very smart.

• Like 2

Looking rather 'elite' PC, I'm warming to what is an admittedly for me an 'un-sub' of an aeroplane

Propitiation?

Always been an uncertain subject hasn't it?

If you dedicate your life to never drinking Leffe, for instance, some deities are content to accept that huge sacrifice as sufficient to allow a lifetime of happy drifting along...

Some are not!

If in your life there is a deity with awesome appetites for blood you will simply have to keep having children, simply so you have a handy Remaining First/Next Born in order to be able to spare a Biblical offering

Take my advice dear friend

Lay off the Leffe

There are plenty of other superior European beers to imbibe as substitutes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Only as Procopius build would name-check Procrustes!  That's why we love you.

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I had to look him up, aeroplane goodness and educational too!

I'll take it! I first read about Procrustes in Bernanrd Evslin's splendid book of Greek myths for children when I was, oh, ten or eleven.

9068813.jpg

Since it wasn't assigned schoolwork, merely left lying about in the classroom, it was pure, unmitigated pleasure and pretty funny, even if I didn't get all the jokes at the time. (Hephaestus's mother Hera coaches him to woo Aphrodite, after all of her other, more impressive suitors have made their pitches, and what's his? "I work late." Took me years to get that one.) I highly recommend it.

Anyhoo, we have the wheels painted and on, and the windscreens.

20171113_150057

So here we are right now:

2017-11-13_03-18-26

A few more miscellaneous decals to add, the control wires to the elevators and rudder, and dullcoat, and the prop (black blades and a silver hub?) and I think we can be there. 

• Like 11

Looks great.  Not a type with which I was familiar, but you have really done it justice.

I too love the Greek myths; they are full of life & humour - so much more fun than the earnest Romans (who nicked half of their mythology anyway!)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Looks great.  Not a type with which I was familiar, but you have really done it justice.

I too love the Greek myths; they are full of life & humour - so much more fun than the earnest Romans (who nicked half of their mythology anyway!)

Agreed! Virgil's not a patch on Homer. 

Anyway, this happened:

20171113_160411

But are we downhearted? NO!

I got the wing back on, less some struts for now, and decided to remove the crude-looking injection-molded doohickies that the control lines for the elevators run to. Then I got out my trusty pin vice:

20171113_162753

For you see, I have some photoetch bitsies that can go there. I cut the tips off of some straight pins to mount them:

20171113_163127

And shazam:

20171113_164014

I feel rather pleased with myself right now.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

At least you are able to fix it and improve it.

EDIT TO SUIT   you are able to improve it.

And we all knew that

I really do like this little stranger, you are having fun now aren't you  :)

Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha. Ah ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

20171113_185928

All rigged.

You will recall I mentioned a Procrustean solution earlier. Well, when I reattached the wing, I also corrected the angle it sat at (I hope!) and so one of the V-struts is now too short. Now, it's much easier to take away length than it is to add it, as Lorena Bobbit* and a generation or two of dodgy internet spammers can well tell you, but there are methods one can use short of just buying another kit. I've added some styrene bits on the top, and ambitiously hope to sand them to shape and desired length. Wish me luck. 

20171113_185938

* Alternately, Theon Greyjoy, but I'm not really a Game of Thrones guy. 

• Like 5

So the chunks of styrene kept falling off, like the fingers of a medieval leper, and so I raided a Freightdog/Pegasus BE2e (note to self, ask @Colin @ Freightdog Models if I can buy some extra strut material) kit for some "extruded strut" and trimmed a bit off:

20171113_204447

Quick test fit:

20171113_204540

Edward, you GENIUS! The parts of my brain that in prehistorical times would have been used to attract a mate by providing food and shelter, and which have inevitably failed me when attempting to obtain sexual congress via demonstration of manly prowess in the modelling arts, have at last come through for me.

Quick blort of paint:

20171113_205347_001

Yesyesyes.

Almost done.

20171113_210131

20171113_210101

20171113_210149

• Like 14

Blort-tastic!  Here I am worrying gently about rigging a 1/48 Walrus, and you put me in my place by making it look ridiculously easy in Braille Scale.  

So what’s next after this small-but-perfectly-formed Pole?

• Like 1