Nie pójdziem żywo w trumnę (1/72 IBG RWD-8)

Procopius

PC, I have been sadly lax in my duty, and had thus missed this thread entirely - and, like Steve and many others, I am a devotee of your builds, so I'm not quite sure how that happened.

Anyway (important stuff first) congrats to all Procopians for safe addition of Grant, prognosis (Procopoprognosis?) re his tiny kidneys, Mrs P's success in fighting off Montessori Goblin Fever, and of course yours in surviving not only the dread Lemsip-Resistant Man Flu but also near-fatal wounds suffered on active duty in miniature Polish aviation.

Also a delight to see you back at the bench - building an interesting subject about which I know almost nothing, coming together nicely (PE seats looking mighty fine and nice save on The Gap) and described in your inimitable style.  Newbolt, St Exupéry, Futurama AND fetching Polish boy scout hats, all in the space of a few minutes' reading; what nicer way to spend a Saturday morning?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I'll just echo Crisp's sentiments PC.  Congrats.

Ah, Jointery strikes again!

Thank you all, gentlemen. Right now I'm trying to decid on my post-birth splurge.

• Like 6

Hey Mr PC,

Congratulations t you and the whole procopian tribe, bigger one now !

Yes, it's a great relief to know that health can be fixed !

We had the same thing with our daughter ! She seemingly suffered from heart problems at the echography !

She 's been followed on her 3 first years and everything goes well by itself, no surgery or medication !

The look of Winston say "What will I become now ?? They both look at this "Baby" but I'm still here"

That's just a normal process, don't allow it to stay on his mind.

Congrats again !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello chaps!

I've taken the plunge and bought a 1/32 scale kit, the Special Hobby Tempest V. I didn't mean to do it, but there you have it, it's happened, and perhaps it will even be built (in the markings of "Foobs" Fairbanks' aircraft).

More importantly, I did some more work today:

20170918_151238

I added the shoulder belts to the cockpit. Perhaps it's the annealing, but this PE is unusually well-behaved for me.

I started work on adding the ailerons to the wings; I think I cut the notches slightly wrong (for the middle one, I believe the inner notch should be attached to the wing, not the outer one), and I'm toying with the idea of just using small strips of plastic card, sanded to shape, and cutting off the wing mounting points.

20170918_150529

It's been a looong day here, as I have a cold and have to sit downstairs when I cough lest I wake Grant. I had about two hours of sleep last night, and then five when Mrs P took mercy on me and let me sleep while Winston was at school. Winston is taking the whole thing about as well as you'd expect, shouting "NO! MINE!" a lot. This morning he clambered into bed with Mrs P, Grant, and myself, and informed us helpfully that the baby has a penis (big thanks to my mother in law for teaching him that one*).

* I particularly enjoy how when I ask her not to say things around my children, she tells me I shouldn't worry about it, as if they weren't my kids and I didn't have perhaps some ideas on how I want them to speak. Ho ho ho, what a lark.

• Like 5

This little boy is the naughtiest, most infuriating, most marvelous creature. If I botch the finishing on this kit, he will surely be my greatest creation. If not, up for grabs.

2017-09-19_09-42-02

In any case, more progress tonight:

20170919_214024

Nose attached! It will have to be masked off and painted in situ -- I didn't really feel like adding it later would work as well. Foolish, perhaps.

Next I sawed the styrene elevators off of the tail to add the resin ones. Strictly speaking, one should generally droop the elevators when on the ground, going by photos, but I dislike how drooped control surfaces look and opted to avoid this. The resin elevators have the horns in situ, butb I opted to saw them out and replace with PE bits from the PART set. I think it looks jolly nice:

20170919_214049

20170919_214047

20170919_214051

I feel like a real boy! 

We're almost done with the fuselage, after which I'll need to mask and paint it before adding struts and the wing, I think. 

• Like 9

What have you done with Winston's hand! I know he's been naughty but isn't that a bit harsh? :D

Nice work on the elevators - I'm with you on not liking them drooped... they never look quite right to me, even if they're 'accurate'.

Coming together nicely PC :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 303sqn said:

You have not cut the notch in the wrong place. It looks like there are three hinges and an attachment point for the control rod. 

Yes, these are three hinges and one pushrod. Look at the photos!

PIC_1-S-1270-22.jpg

PIC_1-S-1286-7.jpg

PIC_1-S-1298-8.jpg

22.jpg

1432106763.jpg

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Well PC, you're a brave man putting those control horns now, they're just asking to be knocked off...fiddly things at the best of times.

That's one word for it, sure.

2 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Yes, these are three hinges and one pushrod.

Hmmmm. How fancy do I want to get? Do I want to try and fabricate teeny tiny (but still slightly out of scale) pushrods? Maybe!

4 hours ago, CedB said:

What have you done with Winston's hand! I know he's been naughty but isn't that a bit harsh? :D

My rule is cruel but fair.

• Haha 3

Nice work so far PC!

Thanks @303sqn for posting those clips - I'd be interested to know how they managed to switch from high wing to low wing and back while airborne, very clever trick!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Progress!

20170921_213819

I threw some primer on this morning, then put Alclad Aluminium on the cowl and metal upperworks of the fuselage, and sprayed some Hataka Polish Light Khaki on the wing, going off of this post:

I also sprayed some Gunze RLM 65 on the tailfin:

20170921_214748

I think the PE looks pretty decent on the cowl:

20170921_213852

I'll need to dirty this up with oils or other weathering stuff to tone down the shine, but that will come later. First we need to let the nose and tail dry so we can mask and spray. Exciting times!

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, Beard said:

I agree and the painting is pretty splendid too.

It's interesting, I've been using my el cheapo .3mm airbrush for so long, the .5mm one I normally use for Alclad felt like trying to paint with a trowel. May have to upgrade.

• Like 1