Nie pójdziem żywo w trumnę (1/72 IBG RWD-8)

Procopius

Some nice work going on there Edward, your brass-bending skills are impressive B) 

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

...mostly I'm just thinking of all the ways my life hasn't turned out like I planned...

If it's any consolation (and god knows, it isn't) you think about that less and less as you get older :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

If it's any consolation (and god knows, it isn't) you think about that less and less as you get older

I certainly hope so (though in my case my thoughts usually turn to why I didn't plan my life)

Fascinating thread, PC. I know relativey little about the Polish Air Force or their aircraft, but I have a strong attraction to them and their achievements.

Enjoying this PC; in particular the PE work.  As a PE klutz myself I'm always hoping to absorb some spare talent by osmosis.....

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

the impending arrival of Protoprocopius Mk II has me in an introspective mood. I'd love to say I'm excited, but mostly I'm just thinking of all the ways my life hasn't turned out like I planned or (as I'm not much of a planner) as I hoped. 

Don't want to make matters any worse PC - but just wait until you're looking back from your 50's.......:whistle:  Oh - BTW - you look to be doing all right as you are from over this side of the pond :D

Yes, the cowling is made of unpainted aluminium sheet. In RWD-produced ones (mostly for aeroclubs and private owners) these were finely machined or painted, but in PWS mass-production for the military it was just metal.

PIC_1-S-1300-10.jpg

PIC_1-P-751-5.jpg

Boy-scouts are here in traditional Góral (Polish Highlanders) hats with eagle feather and overcoats. Similar outfit was worn by Strzelcy Podhalańscy (Polish Highland Rifles) till 1939 (later those guys fought in Narvik, but in French Alpine uniforms).

Here you can see the RWD-8 from behind - note the gap between cowling and the fuselage side, it was important for airflow cooling the engine (like eg. in the Tiger Moth):
PIC_1-S-1298-3.jpg

Huge number of quality photos (but almost only pre-war) you may find on the National Digital Archive website.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 3

Regarding the cowlings, the kit is correct. They were not flush with the fuselage sides. As can be seen in the above photos the cowlings overlapped the fuselage sides with a wide gap between them and the fuselage.

Sometimes the cowlings were finished with an engine-turned pattern.

be877415-26d8-4642-9432-e10e9ff61569.jpg

Yahu have precoloured stick on instrument panels for both the PWS and DWL versions.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

825 😃 ...  I understand that. I was being Facetious, & trying to lighten up the moment. I have so much scar tissue from my scalpels and 35 yrs of cutting, stabbing, and not paying attention. That i'm quite aware of what scalpels were created for. 

Sorry Corsairfoxfouruncle, I was being a tad facetious myself as well. Having stabbed and sliced myself more than a few times I appreciate that our fingers and hands, and occasionally other places (I've dropped my scalpel onto my legs on more than one occasion) can be collateral damage. No offence meant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 303sqn said:
Regarding the cowlings, the kit is correct. They were not flush with the fuselage sides. As can be seen in the above photos the cowlings overlapped the fuselage sides with a wide gap between them and the fuselage.

11 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Here you can see the RWD-8 from behind - note the gap between cowling and the fuselage side, it was important for airflow cooling the engine

Hmmm, so perhaps I erred in cutting off the last part of the cowling on the kit. The resin part fits almost flush. PART includes some PE engine panels, maybe I can replicate the correct look yet.

3 hours ago, 303sqn said:
Yahu have precoloured stick on instrument panels for both the PWS and DWL versions.

I saw those -- they look very nice! I'm going to stick with the PART instrumentation for this kit, though. 

• Like 2

Okay, chaps!

So I tried fitting one of the PE panels after rolling it a bit on the handle of my x-acto knife:

20170906_194418

What do we think? Is this a good gap?

20170906_194402

Be honest.

Also primed the seats and suchlike:

20170906_194435

• Like 7

I think it is a good gap mate, certainly a better gap, but it appears to have become unfixed at the top-rear corner? A dab of superglue via a pin should suffice if that is the case...

Looking very nice indeed, by the way :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I've checked the original kit part and the resin part and in my opinion the gap is present and is correct. The resin part is visibly wider than the plastic fuselage. You may scrap or sand some resin from the inside of the resin cowling side wall to have the gap more visible.

On the other hand, the top of the fuselage/cowling was flush, nad so should be the bottom:

PIC_1-S-1300-8.jpg 

• Like 2

I would remove the plastic/resin behind that engine side panel completely at the rear end to give a better feel of the cowling being wider and a nice "black hole" look.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I would remove the plastic/resin behind that engine side panel completely at the rear end to give a better feel of the cowling being wider and a nice "black hole" look.

I set about doing this with an excess of zeal and a surfeit of brains. The result was...not as I intended. A self-inflicted wound, I think:

20170907_222348

No gap, obviously, is visible from the side in any photo. In my defence, I'm in a lot of pain right now, because I ran twelve miles (seven hundred kilometers) last night, in a vain attempt to escape myself. Everything hurts, gentlemen. 

I have an idea on how to fix this stupid mistake on my part, though! Plastic card, cut to fill the gap, but angled inwards to create a sort of space when viewed from behind. Maybe? Suggestions are welcome. 

Anyway, I attached the PE panels to the cowl, because I like them.

20170907_222107

20170907_222050

I've also attached the forward IP to the clear film:

20170907_222044

And painted the seats and added the cockpit interior to the fuselage side:

20170907_222035

I'll need to do the seatbelts next, and figure out a fix for the cowling. 

Tom Hardy, eat your heart out:

20170907_221954

• Like 10

OOPs!

However, looking at the pic in post #34 it does look as though the PE has slightly less of an angle than the resin nose. The question is, which is correct? If the PE, the simple solution would be to add a piece to the fuselage part to bring it level with the rear edge of the PE.

Ian

IMO the best solution, not a difficult one and close to the original, would be like that: glue stripe of plastic card inside of the fuselage. The stripe should protrude beyond the front edge of your fuselage half. Then fill with your favorite filler the step between the fusleage outer side and your stripe surface and sand it, to create mild slope so it fit UNDER the engine cowling side.

Voila!

In original airplane the cowling side was overlaping the fuselage side a bit too.

You can't see it here due to shadow, but belive me, it did.

PIC_1-S-1297-7.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Grzegorz!

We had an ultrasound today because Mrs P was worried about the baby's lassitude -- he appears to have kidney cysts, plural, rather resembling a cluster of grapes. What this means -- anywhere from nothing to cancer -- will have to be determined after birth. Mrs P had her membranes stripped (as gross as it sounds) to accelerate labour, so we should know more soon, I guess. Also, my in-laws are here. And they brought their opinions!

I'm feeling a wee bit stressed. 

636043993351206957-1038049530_giphy-2.gi

• Sad 7

My Friend, you have great luck that the problem has been already noticed. It's an important advantage. Doctors may already plan the therapy and there will be no unnecessary delays if some intervention will be needed (I hope not).

We live in strange times that we probably know more about interiors of our kids than about our own!

I fully understand your emotions. I have three kids and there is nothing more moving than their health.

Good luck! We will pray for you today.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GrzeM said:

My Friend, you have great luck that the problem has been already noticed. It's an important advantage. Doctors may already plan the therapy and there will be no unnecessary delays if some intervention will be needed (I hope not).

We live in strange times that we probably know more about interiors of our kids than about our own!

I fully understand your emotions. I have three kids and there is nothing more moving than their health.

Good luck! We will pray for you today.

Thanks, Grzegorz, I appreciate it. Mrs P still hasn't gone into labour, so for right now, we're just waiting. 

I can't put it any better than Grzegorz. It's completely natural to be stressed at such a time.

Everything may have ached, but to go for a run or nice walk is good at times like this. 

It sounds crazy, but when things have been extremely stressful for me, in a similar way (not children, late first wife in Intensive Care in a coma for 21 days), I found something that helped. Drive somewhere away from people (and sheep - really); e.g. the countryside.

Walk away from the car, some distance. Have a really, really good shout. Shout anything, really loud, repeat until, hopefully, one feels a little better. Return to car.

It's a 'system reset' that I learned from an actress that was quite overworked in the early 70's. 

I will admit that once, in the middle of a field in Scotland, I suddenly realised that around 50 yards away, a group of ramblers had stopped by a dry stone wall; just gazing at me. :blush:.

My thoughts and prayers with you and your family PC.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Still not in labour, despite some rather unusual attempts to induce it:

So for now we still don't know if baby #2 is fine, or will die, or what. Best case probably is that he'd go through life with one kidney, which is less uncommon than you might think. We'll see.

So because I can't really do anything else, I did some more modelling.

20170910_134350

After a quick enamel wash of the seats, I glued the cockpit sides together. I'll need to squeeze in the seatbelts and fettle in the front instrument panel as a result, but I needed to see some progress, you know? The kit fits very nicely, even with my embellishments so far.

I also marked the area of the self-inflicted gap:

20170910_135413

I only had a pen handy, but it's water soluble I'm fairly sure, so it should be fine.

Then it was time for some filler.

I know that there are people in this world who scarcely need filler. They talk about "just a dab" on Tamiya or Eduard kits, they never have seams, they build models on Youtube in real time and sweet baby Jesus couldn't do a better job. These people are freakish mutants, or possibly the vanguard of an invading extraterrestrial army. We should regard them with profound suspicion. For my own part, I've never managed, even on really well-fitting kits, to forgo filler.

20170910_140628

Here there's just a small seam down the centreline and slight gouging from my knackered sprue cutter (replacement en route). I at least remembered to mask with tape when I applied it. 

Not much, perhaps, but a little something to keep my mind occupied for a little while. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Squarehead! Long time no see!

Fuelled by strong drink, I began Operation Fix The Last Screw-Up And Don't Screw Up No More (FTLSUADSUNM), which I believe is also the name for the ongoing US operations in Iraq.

20170910_220932

I cut a thick piece of square styrene rod (can it be a rod if it's not a cylinder?) in half and shortened to taste, then attached the two halves to the fuselage interior.

20170910_220936

Oh my gosh, I think it works!

20170910_220955

Next I'll blend in the rods with the fuselage a bit, and then I think we can add the cowling.

Anyone by any chance know what colour Polish seatbelts were?

• Like 12