"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

Hi Jonty

I've just quietly slipped in and settled down to watch. I think I've managed to get a seat near the front too. If you hear a strange hissing noise it'll be due to the oxygen I've brought with me . . . I'm still recovering from the effects of following your amazing build on the Handley Page Nightmare.

Can't wait to see how this one unfolds.

Tim

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Johnny,

Great post with your plans for weathering the model. That should be really interesting to see. I'm still researching period pictures to determine the kind of weathering Do 24's were subjected to.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks. There does seem to be a lot of different ref shots, the common element seems to be that if they were used they got a bit knackered, how knackered is up to us now. :lol:

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Jonty do you mind if I drift along with you on this?

I agree with two lots of painting, not sure you'd need to nm it too but its your fun ahead

I painted mine in the three colour scheme then salt weathered it and pastelled it to within an inch of its life

Catbuild_painting_c_007.jpg

This sad beastie needed a half jar of liquid gravity to sit all along the bilges beneath and ahead of the pilots seats so I could do away with this round stand which didn't please me

Home brewed transfers just to make it harder, there is something wrong with me, my missus has told me oft'times  :(

This was an Airfix example which was not a good place to begin, yours should be afar more satisfactory build so I will be hanging round enjoying the feast

Hell no. The more the merrier. Your model looks brilliant.:worthy: I didn't even think about weight. (I don't know why) but thanks. The rims on the clear parts look pretty good on the Airfix version, all the better for masking.

18 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Looking forward to following your progress with this build Johnny - especially since you've had me hooked with your HP 0/400 build - which is stunning by the way.  Wish you well with this one too!!

Glad you can tag along.  Thanks for the lovely words about the old page turner.

11 hours ago, John_W said:

Pastels, oils and a lot of wondering "is this too heavy handed"

55583295-85BF-49CC-B617-F2B5311449BD

Wow! I think she looks great, I'm going to try and get more variation in the panels but we will see how it goes. :lol:

10 hours ago, Timmas said:

Hi Jonty

I've just quietly slipped in and settled down to watch. I think I've managed to get a seat near the front too. If you hear a strange hissing noise it'll be due to the oxygen I've brought with me . . . I'm still recovering from the effects of following your amazing build on the Handley Page Nightmare.

Can't wait to see how this one unfolds.

Tim

Ha! Glad you liked the O/400, hopefully this will be a little more relaxing. :drunk:

John.:cat:

• Like 3

Jonty, true confession time

All the transparencies were after market stuff, the name of the suppliers escapes me at the mo' but I think they might have been from Falcon

The masking on the clear bits took a lot of doing, but I do think they were worth it

If I did it again (Airfix one, mind) I'd fit metal under cart too, I cobbled together a lash up I'm not happy with

One reason I didn't make a WIP when I built it

There's too much interior stuff too, all invisible when closed up

Oh well, its only a game. ☺

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

Good evening all.

I had a busy weekend finishing off my other build but I did get some parts cut and well I'll just show you. Not a lot mind as I have been told that I need to limit my cave time to Wednesdays and early weekend mornings.:blush: wish me luck.

Anyhoo. Let's start at the start for once eh. Wheel wells. :lol:

36201439203_6c10d01922_b.jpg

and here are the bits. Look at those pin marks.:drunk:

37009964655_a692063cc1_b.jpg

why would they do that? Shouldn't be a problem, I have one metal file left after the many breakages on the HP wings. The plastic is super soft so this happened.

36821440846_7b93ae9851_b.jpg

A little heavy handed.:blush: 

I used some Mr Surfacer and gave it a first prime But to my amazement.

36201439663_dcd2903205_b.jpg

i have never used black plastic before but this looks to me like the phenomenon that is release grease on the kit.:huh: I'm not sure if this is the case but I don't want to take any risks with the amount of paint I have planned so, bath time Mrs Cat,:cat:

36821441376_68d6e7c156_b.jpg

I hope that does the trick. I dried them off slightly and left them up in the cave to dry completely. Before I got told off for spending too much time in that bloody ..... etc etc I managed a second prime. 

37009964495_f6ebf3ff3f_b.jpg

that got it. When dried it looked ok. The struts got removed from runners and cleaned up too.

36858018282_99b1c55efa_b.jpg

they are still a little lumpy but I have ordered some super skinny sanding sticks from Mr Flory. Hopefully they will do the finishing touch just fine.

Im really keen to paint the wells like this.

36201422823_a702589620_b.jpg

I've seen them black, white and green but ever since I painted my Lightning wells grey I've had a hankering for some green love so I think I'm going to throw caution to the wind, bite the bullet, go with the flow etc. :penguin: well there she sits until Wednesday night. I know it's not a lot but it'll have to do.  Hope you're all enjoying the group build. There seems to be some great work being done. At least not being able to get to the cave I get to see what the rest of you guys are up to.:lol:

Thanks for dropping by for a cuppa. See y'all for a Thursday night post.

Happy Modelling folks and fair winds to all in this lovely Float Plane GB.

Johnny.:cat:

• Like 18

38 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I have been told that I need to limit my cave time to Wednesdays and early weekend mornings.:blush:

:hmmm: I get exactly the opposite from my wife ... She would say "Won't you go downstairs (where my cave is) tonight?"

Should I be worried? :analintruder:

Re greasy plastic: I always wash the runners in warm soapy water, but I also recently learned to clean the model or sub-assemblies with IPA prior to priming. HTH

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Nice start, Johnny. Like Giorgio, I've always washed the sprues in warm water with dishwasher before starting any build. I also wipe the model with IPA before priming. This way I avoid paint lifting.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Jonty, true confession time

All the transparencies were after market stuff, the name of the suppliers escapes me at the mo' but I think they might have been from Falcon

The masking on the clear bits took a lot of doing, but I do think they were worth it

If I did it again (Airfix one, mind) I'd fit metal under cart too, I cobbled together a lash up I'm not happy with

One reason I didn't make a WIP when I built it

There's too much interior stuff too, all invisible when closed up

Oh well, its only a game. ☺

However you slice it you made a great looking model.:king: 

@giemme @Spookytooth @jrlx Thanks for the washing tips. I've never had to do it before. Fingers crossed I'll get more coverage.

john.:cat:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

bath time Mrs Cat,:cat:

36821441376_68d6e7c156_b.jpg

That image feels ever-soslightly sinister. As if the very waters had formed themselves into a creature of the night.

Or something.

Anyway.

Stick something soon Johnny, I'm getting the vapours...:nerdy:

• Like 3

Good evening everyone. Last night was indeed Modelling night.:yahoo:I'm currently fixing up my broken threads at dinner times so the first chance I get to post is now! :smartass: So let's begin my fellow Britmodellers. First off the sanders arrived so I had to try them out.

36273043753_1e690710cc_b.jpg

pretty good aaaand super thin too.

To the joy of @TheBaron we has a cage whiff of Tamiya green top.:P

36273041453_2916d5cac8_b.jpg

these where surprisingly fiddly to attach.:o

the length was off so a bit of sanding and wallop! 

Next port of call was to have a wee gander at how the main assemblies came together.

37086262385_198e482908_b.jpg

Rather well, you'll be glad to hear.:lol:

no real fit issues. I couldn't resist a quick dry fit.

:whistle:

36944954991_37b58b10e4_b.jpg36916138402_f6f21ddd9b_b.jpg

aint she a beauty. :christmas:unfortunatly she had to come apart soon after to get down to business. 

I taped the wells in place and started getting the gun area sorted.

36916135302_a4e6a4e0b9_b.jpg

not sure whether to paint em first or just go with it and stick em in. Looking at this shot I think I'll go with the former.

By the way did you meet my friends Pin and Mark the comedy duo from the Academy.

36916135792_0b3ac386db_b.jpg

:blink: why so many? The one nestled in the door detail I think is my favorite.

soooo sanding and some TET sorted out the marks. I don't want to add too much detail as I want to spend my time on the outsides so I'll dry fit and see what we can see.

36897987646_85ea66c94e_b.jpg37086258785_6d4a0a6df1_b.jpg

not a lot to be fair and there are still massive guns to go in so adding a little detailing of the walls should do the trick.

the insides look pretty good how they are although I have seen some CrAzY good detail models built of the internals of this kit. Although awesome I'm not headed down that particular rabbit hole so there.:P

36916133022_e89aee9fb9_b.jpg36916134982_fa0a745381_b.jpg

some plasticard additions is what I have planned and they have made the door panels look a bit more busy, I did the other side too and then some primer.

36690089360_dcca1192c2_b.jpg

there that's better. :lol:

Before bed I did a quick check of the canopy to see if masking was going to be as much trouble as I thought.

36251143564_06668debb2_b.jpg

looks like we might just be ok. I'm thinking about making internal flame ( doh! Meant frame work, I'm not adding a kitchen ) work for these.

has anyone ever done this before?

just a thought mind.:christmas:

Thanks for dropping by. Hopefully more this weekend.

Take care and as alway.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny Ramone. :cat:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 16

He's right, that old alien (not that I mean he is old, per se, I understand they age differently on Malacandra)

It is a fabulous start

(did I mention making all sorts of interior gubbinses, including the flight engineer's station and perch up inside the pylon. Wasted my time none of it is visible from outside  :(  )

Interior framing, wow Jonty. Far more ambitious than me mate. get on with it, I'd love to see it done, maybe with the slidey window at the bottom of the gondola thingy too

(Note I'm asking for stuff I'll never do... sorry mate)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm currently fixing up my broken threads at dinner times so the first chance I get to post is now

Are your clothes in that poor a state? You need to take better care of yourself Johnny.

;)

In all seriousness, a vibrant and purposeful opening session at the wicket there - not that I'd expect anything else from your good self - it looks a most handsome kit and I've no doubt it will get handsom-er by the day under your tender ministrations.

Even if you are apparently intent on including some ambitious 'incident in the galley' detailing....

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm thinking about making internal flame work for these.

:D Lovely stuff my friend.

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/09/2017 at 10:11 PM, Martian Hale said:

Nice start!

Martian

Thanks oh Green one. :lol:

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! :clap: She looks like a big beast, too :o

Ciao

Doesn't she just. Thanks.

23 hours ago, perdu said:

It is a fabulous start

(did I mention making all sorts of interior gubbinses, including the flight engineer's station and perch up inside the pylon. Wasted my time none of it is visible from outside  :(  )

Interior framing, wow Jonty. Far more ambitious than me mate. get on with it, I'd love to see it done, maybe with the slidey window at the bottom of the gondola thingy too

(Note I'm asking for stuff I'll never do... sorry mate)

I know, looking at Tony's build though I'm thinking about maybe adding a little more. 

Still not sure about the Windows. I'll have a think.

23 hours ago, pheonix said:

Very good start on what is going to be a big model. I am looking forward to the painting stage to see which techniques you use and the effects that you get.

P

Thanks. Me too. :lol:

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I built one of these many years back as a RAF machine - really enjoyed it, & it looks like you are too! And ditto to what those above have already said - nice start!

Keith

Thanks Keith. You just gave me an idea, I don't know why but I haven't searched out any other builds of this. :doh: right off I go.

15 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Aaaaand, he's off! :hobbyhorse:

The clear parts looks surprisingly good (at least there's no pin marks on them!)

True. 

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

Nice start Johnny - I'm looking forward to seeing you bring to bear your painting skills on her.  Might have to invest in some of them Flory sanding sticks too...........

Yes they're rather good. :lol: @CedB do you hear me? :poke:

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good start and nice progress!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks.

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Even if you are apparently intent on including some ambitious 'incident in the galley' detailing....

:D Lovely stuff my friend.

Tony

Honestly that ruddy spell correct.   :jump_fire: :christmas:

BTW this happened today.

37109986905_f2c727d5df_b.jpg

meet Zero! The newest member of the family. I might be busy this weekend. :poop:

Thanks for delving in, this is a great GB. Fair winds to my fellow GB ers. 

Johnny.

• Like 13