"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

Hi guys.  

This will be my first ever Group build.  :yikes:

I'm very excited as this will be the closest thing to the Gloster Meteor dual build I did with @TheBaron last year.

I have some ideas on what I'm going to do but I need to finish of my HP o/400 first. (next few days)

I'll pop a pic of the box here as a kind of popping my flag in the sand. :cowboy:

36685417335_1969daab6c_b.jpg

Hopefully you can join along with this and help an old dog (or should that be cat? ) out here and there along the way.

I'll pop a bit more info and some pics once the old "page turner" is done and dusted.

Take care y'all and Happy Modelling.

Johnny. :cat:

ps. this will be my little companion through this build, seems rather apt. :)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the GB! We can't have too many Catalinas, so this is a great entry :) It's also the one Catalina kit I have in my wish list, so I'll be following with interest!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I have one of these that I made a start to but haven't touched it for a while. I'll be watching with interest. 

Cool, hopefully I can encourage you to start her up again. :christmas:

6 hours ago, AlexN said:

Wouldn't miss this one, Johnny!

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: says hello to your back cat ('Blackie'? ;).

Thanks Alex. I'm seeing this as a nice relax  after the old Cat' cradle. :cat:

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice to see yet another Catalina in the Group Build Johnny :penguin:

Are you just using the kit decals?

That it is :D. I am indeed going to be using the kit decals, I'll need to get some stronger decal softener though as they are notoriously thick.;) The plan it to spend a lot of time on the paint work, lots of hot sun and salt water ware. Hence the thread name. 

5 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the GB! We can't have too many Catalinas, so this is a great entry :) It's also the one Catalina kit I have in my wish list, so I'll be following with interest!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie.

Hopefully it'll turn out how I want it too. Lots of new weathering techniques on this one I think. :rain: :penguin:

Jont.:cat:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The plan it to spend a lot of time on the paint work, lots of hot sun and salt water ware. Hence the thread name. 

Hopefully it'll turn out how I want it too. Lots of new weathering techniques on this one I think

Johnny,

I'm very interested in those weathering techniques, as I'll have to apply sea weathering to my build as well. Any ideas on what to do and how?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 9:12 AM, amblypygid said:

This is going to be (another) one to follow closely. Totally looking forward to how you tackle the weathering, Johnny.

Thanks. So am I. :rain::D

On 01/09/2017 at 0:19 PM, jrlx said:

Johnny,

I'm very interested in those weathering techniques, as I'll have to apply sea weathering to my build as well. Any ideas on what to do and how?

Cheers

Jaime

Yes I have a few ideas but mainly I'm going to make it up as I go along with a few educated guesses along the way. I'll do a proper start post after this with some ideas etc. Hopefully we can lean stuff from each other and get some great looking models at the end. :penguin:

On 01/09/2017 at 4:05 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !

Very good choice of kit !

Sure that you will do it rightly !

Have a good modelling time in the GB !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp !

Thanks C. I'm really looking forward to this one. Although I just got the canopie out. :huh: lovely and shiny but no edges to speak off. Going to be hell to mask.

On 01/09/2017 at 8:52 PM, TheBaron said:

What a cracking subject - guaranteed to be a spadulous undertaking. Someone has to post it :D

.Thanks Tony. You're a star. :star:

although I can't stop thinking of the.

"Catalina Magdalena Luptenschteiner"

song at the end of this clip! :lol:

Johnny.:cat:

• Haha 3

And so it begins. :lol: I did actually start yesterday so I'm claiming that :lalala: although I was so tired I'm posting up today. I tend to know nothing about the kits I make a learn a whole bunch while building, I find it kind of fun that way around. I bought this kit purely on a whim after seeing a diorama on the internet and I was alured by the strange and wonderful lines of this lovey aircraft.

I will start in Ernest today and will be building OOB apart from scratching some bits and bobs if it needs it. I really want this to be a nice relaxing build after the 0/400 I have just finished. :surprised: I will spend a lot of my time on the bit I like the most. "Painting"

I'm planing on doing some lovely weathering which will be tough as she is black. I'm not quite going this far.

36159260304_d173f23ce6_b.jpg36995171435_b9323928dd_b.jpg

But on the other hand I'm not aiming for this either.

36186341043_035445ffbd_b.jpg

"thanks Josh for the great pic" if you want me to remove it for any reason I will. Same goes for the other pics, rest assured though they are only being used as reference and because they are ace. :D

I love how shiny the last one is but I'm headed more here.

36598010420_3fc3a49860_b.jpg

I have read that the black paint was applied over the top of the regular camo so I'm planing on painting it twice then chipping. Sounds fun. I'm also looking into having different levels of sun bleaching on the top sun facing panels to the ones hidden under the wings, or maybe one side. Probably I'll do this by masking and spraying panels at different times. Might be hart to top coat? Ahh who know we will see. Might have a go at salt weathering too?:penguin: either way and what ever happens it'll be a blast and only 17 weeks till Christmas. :santa:   (Sorry)

Thanks for letting me join this merry band as we all rumble through the FPGB together.  I'll stop waffling and begin. I've done a box shot but I need to start it on the bench. It's like finishing a book in "Misery"

I have a routine. "Not like that Tony:wicked:"

Right sorry here goes.

36823269492_ea9853b120_b.jpg

and the runners.

36994938715_4886df9930_b.jpg36159017844_43ea099458_b.jpg

mostly looks great, there are some pin marks in some really dumb places and as mentioned earlier the clear parts might be a bugger to mask but overall it's about a zillion times better than my last build. 

The quiet before the storm.

36159018094_dee9d15c88_b.jpg

the decks have been cleared and the dust is gone. Let the plastic commence. 

Johnny boy.:cat:

• Like 15

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The quiet before the storm

You are a far more civilized builder Johnny than the semi-squalor of mine own working area.:lol:

How's the moulding on that thing btw? It looks pretty sharp from here.

Enjoy!

Tony

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to this Johnny; they were a useful aircraft in this part of the world in WWII.

It's a nice kit with some very finely moulded parts. I built a yellow and silver derivative long ago (hairy stick job: looked ok, just ok).

A possible top tip: use some kind of micro/nano saw to gently cut the strut/delicate parts off of the runners. They fit well, but can break  really easily :o!

Good luck and enjoy :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool, not that late to this one, should be fun with all the weathering you have planned Johnny!

Little t says hello to your 'ickle pussy cat too...:dinosaur: (don't worry he likes cats. Not that keen on chickens though, so I'll keep him on his lead!)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Great clip Johnny - tough test! :D

Oops, missed your post.

Looking interesting... Paint it twice! With chipping? I'm watching intently! :)

I love that film.:lol: thinking about it it'll be painted thrice, I'll have to do the metal too.:mental:

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You are a far more civilized builder Johnny than the semi-squalor of mine own working area.:lol:

How's the moulding on that thing btw? It looks pretty sharp from here.

Enjoy!

Tony

I like it clean, :wicked:.

The mould isn't too bad actually and the plastic is pretty soft. Not sure if that's going to be a good or bad thing.

8 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm in :popcorn:

Ciao

Nice to have you along G. 

8 hours ago, Leonl said:

I like the sound of this one... Looking forward to the painting. 

Welcome aboard. Your not the only one looking forward to the paint.

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm looking forward to this Johnny; they were a useful aircraft in this part of the world in WWII.

It's a nice kit with some very finely moulded parts. I built a yellow and silver derivative long ago (hairy stick job: looked ok, just ok).

A possible top tip: use some kind of micro/nano saw to gently cut the strut/delicate parts off of the runners. They fit well, but can break  really easily :o!

Good luck and enjoy :).

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks for the tips Tony. I'll bear it in mind.

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cool, not that late to this one, should be fun with all the weathering you have planned Johnny!

Little t says hello to your 'ickle pussy cat too...:dinosaur: (don't worry he likes cats. Not that keen on chickens though, so I'll keep him on his lead!)

Keith

Nice to have you along for the ride. :yahoo::cat:

4 hours ago, John_W said:

Nice. Built one myself, it takes a lot of nose weight though.

I'll remember that. Thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Just reloaded up with pop corn John and sitting comfortably .

Simon.

Good lad. Nice to have you along sir.

• Like 1

Hi Johnny,

Great post with your plans for weathering the model. That should be really interesting to see. I'm still researching period pictures to determine the kind of weathering Do 24's were subjected to.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Jonty do you mind if I drift along with you on this?

I agree with two lots of painting, not sure you'd need to nm it too but its your fun ahead

I painted mine in the three colour scheme then salt weathered it and pastelled it to within an inch of its life

Catbuild_painting_c_007.jpg

This sad beastie needed a half jar of liquid gravity to sit all along the bilges beneath and ahead of the pilots seats so I could do away with this round stand which didn't please me

Home brewed transfers just to make it harder, there is something wrong with me, my missus has told me oft'times  :(

This was an Airfix example which was not a good place to begin, yours should be afar more satisfactory build so I will be hanging round enjoying the feast

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

Jonty do you mind if I drift along with you on this?

I agree with two lots of painting, not sure you'd need to nm it too but its your fun ahead

I painted mine in the three colour scheme then salt weathered it and pastelled it to within an inch of its life

Catbuild_painting_c_007.jpg

This sad beastie needed a half jar of liquid gravity to sit all along the bilges beneath and ahead of the pilots seats so I could do away with this round stand which didn't please me

Home brewed transfers just to make it harder, there is something wrong with me, my missus has told me oft'times  :(

This was an Airfix example which was not a good place to begin, yours should be afar more satisfactory build so I will be hanging round enjoying the feast

Amazing !

SWMBO tell the same about me :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 3