"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on the weathering! To be honest, If I tried to do that amount of weathering I'd make a total muddle of it. The best I can manage is some light wash on panel lines, a bit of exhaust staining, and a bit of paint chipping.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. I'm winging it, Pun totally intended. :guitar:

16 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent weathering, looks really battered! Your mentioning Corsairs reminded me I have two in the stash and also a Hellcat and a Wildcat that could benefit from this technique.

Cheers

Jaime

Glad to be of service. 

6 hours ago, Vadim said:

Ah!.. Found you. That worn wing is absolutely awesome! 

Glad to have you along sir. And thanks. 

:giles:

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

However, there is this one

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72149

or this one

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72150

Very nicely printed and very thin ones !!

What do you need exactly ??

Sincerely.

CC

Oooh that is an option. Last time I used Academy decals (the lightning) micro sol didn't touch em. Someone mentioned Daco products but they cost £16 euros to ship. I might just bite the bullet. Can't find anywhere else that sticks them. I think tiny cars do. Does anyone know if the medium stuff will sort Academy stickers?

thanks.

Johnny

• Like 1

There's only one way to sort Academy thick decals: fire .... :devil:

I would try painting markings as much as possible, but you know I'm biased :whistle:

Once more, great weathering job; I'm very much looking forward to what's going to happen with the black coat :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

I don't see how that wing could get much better Johnny though I'm damn sure that it will under your insightful ministrations. Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

I'd agree with Giorgio that painted markings would be a must when set against that fab Spadifying - I don't see decals allowing the same sensitivity as your paint working.:2c:

Tony

• Like 1

Hold it...what are you doing?  I am confused...let me try to figure it out...you are using the tape to mask the decal, then make a stencil?  Very cool and excellent out-of-the-box thinking if so...

I count three different stencils to make.;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Hold it...what are you doing?  I am confused...let me try to figure it out...you are using the tape to mask the decal, then make a stencil?  Very cool and excellent out-of-the-box thinking if so...

I count three different stencils to make.;)

Nail, head. I'll make an overall stencil in white. Then three blocking ones for the blue. So in total four. Might work. :thumbsup: just gotta figure out the weathering. 

Johnny

• Like 4

I have just caught up on this thread Johnny, and she looks great.

I really like the pre weathering effects, might use a few of those ideas when it comes to the Sunderland.

Go for it on the decals John, those Academy ones are sods...

Simon.

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2017 at 9:15 PM, TheBaron said:

I don't see how that wing could get much better Johnny though I'm damn sure that it will under your insightful ministrations. Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

I’m with Tony on this.  More inspiring paintwork Johnny :D

• Thanks 1

Hmmm That is looking mighty fine. But I don't think my 1/144 Fire Bomber is going to look that tatty by any means.   I'll look back in again once I have progressed further with my tiddly Cat. But very much look forward to seeing more progress on yours.

• Like 1

The weathering looks very, very realistic.

I paused when you mentioned ‘Corsair’. That finish would be perfect.

Inspiring stuff :worthy: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Just a thought Johnny, I've got the Airfix stars and bars from my Cat if you want them

I used them to home print some grey-darkened ones for mine so the originals are untouched

All 1/72 scale of course

• Like 1

On 25/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, Spookytooth said:

I have just caught up on this thread Johnny, and she looks great.

I really like the pre weathering effects, might use a few of those ideas when it comes to the Sunderland.

Go for it on the decals John, those Academy ones are sods...

Simon.

Thanks Simon, you're not wrong about the Acadamy decals. Madness I tells ya.

On 25/10/2017 at 9:53 PM, Leonl said:

Excellent work, looking really good. I love the extreme weathering. 

Mask too.... you’re really spoiling us!

Thank you sir.

On 25/10/2017 at 10:56 PM, Fritag said:

I’m with Tony on this.  More inspiring paintwork Johnny :D

Thanks.

On 25/10/2017 at 11:00 PM, Paul J said:

Hmmm That is looking mighty fine. But I don't think my 1/144 Fire Bomber is going to look that tatty by any means.   I'll look back in again once I have progressed further with my tiddly Cat. But very much look forward to seeing more progress on yours.

Thanks. I don't think any one should do anything so tatty. It's a ruddy nightmare.:tmi:

On 26/10/2017 at 12:44 AM, jrlx said:

Looking forward to seeing how your plan for painting the insignias turns out. Really curious about it.

Cheers

Jaime

Me too. :)

On 26/10/2017 at 1:11 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

The weathering looks very, very realistic.

I paused when you mentioned ‘Corsair’. That finish would be perfect.

Inspiring stuff :worthy: 

Best regards

TonyT

I would have liked to have left her there but move onward I must.

On 26/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, perdu said:

Just a thought Johnny, I've got the Airfix stars and bars from my Cat if you want them

I used them to home print some grey-darkened ones for mine so the originals are untouched

All 1/72 scale of course

That's very kind of you. I think as this is a build of firsts I'll give the masking and painting a go. I might get in touch however if that all goes South.

Thanks again. 

Johnny

• Like 3

Morning Folks.

I'm currently rattling through the English countryside on my way to the smoke to watch Young Frankenstein at the Theatre. :lol: I seem to have a spare few moments to share the plight of the cat over the past day or so. First of I decided to attack the mule. I first mixed up some off black and sprayed one side to test for chipping and another for salt.

37276495234_d955122699_b.jpg

The scrsping looked ok on the right hand side so I decided to have a blast at a salt wash with a lighter colour.

37276456524_2771fd8a59_b.jpg

To be perfectly frank I was a little impatient and sprayed before the water was totally dry.

26209777239_a262c8e3f5_b.jpg

Looking back at it now the first salt pass was pretty good but not quite what I was after.

37985653801_a11e108007_b.jpg

The second wing however was not quite as I had envisaged.:rage:

37276490574_4dfaff19a4_b.jpg

@TheBaron (This might be right up your street?) :)

Any way, with all that info in the bank I was still none the wiser which way to proceed so I decided to go down the chipping route. A few coats of chipping fluid sprayed and I do a first off black pass on the Cat.

37955582462_78b6357189_b.jpg

almost seems like a waste doing all that prep.:mellow: although I did get some nice variation.

37276477404_736ef43130_b.jpg

While the paint was soft I had a go st it with a coffee stirrer as I didn't want anything too abrasive.

37932664196_bd2f577220_b.jpg

Then I started REALLY going at it.:penguin:

24134458588_3f1d5d9667_b.jpg37276455494_dd41e04909_b.jpg

I think I like it but I'm not sure if it's too much. Here are some distance shots.

37276454644_e127541130_b.jpg37276519214_09140a39e8_b.jpg

And the under side and edge.

37985534931_fa609f0b15_b.jpg37276676234_fe34797b79_b.jpg

It's a lot of ware and I've lost a lot of what has gone before but...... I just don't know.  :wonder: I left her for a day and looked again last night. I took the masks of the engines and took some more shots.

37955488892_9ff07b313f_b.jpg26209635729_e1c46093bb_b.jpg

I do like it but I'm coming to the conclusion that it's too much. I can spray a light mist and get some of that black back and then I need to do kind of an anti-Flory wash to get my groove detail back? (Dry brush a lighter colour)  

What do you guys think? :D or :poop:.

I might get to tinker tomorrow night but for now I have an idea af an afternoon relaxing with good food, good company.

Thanks for dropping by chaps. Any feedback or ideas are welcome. I need all I can get.:lol:. Thaler care and have a lovely weekend.

Johnny "cat scratch fever" :cat:

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

@TheBaron (This might be right up your street?) :)

You've caught my car paintwork there beautifully. But how did you know? :hmmm::lol:

Seriously I just love these experiments - right up my street....

I'd agree that in the last two shots whilst the enthusiasm is commendable, your virtuoso paint skills need to come into play to pull that back from the proverbial brink. As you say - a variable misting perhaps? I reckon that would subdue the intensity without relinquishing those fabulous variegations you're getting. It's your baby though and your instincts are the ones that matter here.

Enjoy Young Frankenstein!:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Personally, I think it's superb! Whether a real one in that condition would still be flyable though, I don't know! :)

Maybe a toning down of the brightness of the aluminium might be in order, but I think it needs to be very light so as to not lose all those lovely tonal variations....

Keith

• Thanks 1

It looks excellent to me! I think a wash and a matt coat would tone down the aluminium.

I also don't know if an operational aircraft would be allowed to reach that state but in war conditions maybe.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

For some reason I've only just looked into this...wow, what a mess! But a fantastic mess nonetheless, and I'm sure it will only get even better!

I'm looking forward to seeing the next step, mainly as painting is the step I hate most with my builds. This may inspire a little more patience, instead of my usual "well, it sort of looks ok, but I sure as heck can't be bothered to do it again, so it'll stay like that" approach.

Ian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

I think that part of the reason you're not happy with it is that the chipped aluminium is coming through very strongly, without much other weathering on it. As others say, tone it down a smidgeon and it'll blend better.

I tend to agree with the above. The hardest thing at this point is to imagine the end result after more weathering, washes and a flat coat - and resisting to the urge of respraying the whole thing. You're always in time for a tone down, IMHO.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1