"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

Looking great. Will follow that with interest as I will try some clear paints over a silver base on some diecast to get a metallic finish in the right colour.

By the way : Did these chicken crossed the road?

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, giemme said:

Been busy, I see :) Nice progress on the Cat ... and the chicken run :D:clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. 

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

With that beak, if I was the hound I'd be glad to be kept at bay! :lol: Lovely chook and a really nice run for them! (lovely airbrush job on the feathers! :D)

Is that Tamiya clear smoke that you used Johnny? The result looks very interesting for use on a weathered NMF aeroplane....

Keith

Yup Tamiya clear smoke. Thinned 1:1, I used this technique on my Lightning build a few months back, it works well.

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the smoke and the chicken run Johnny :)

I do admire the effort you put into your paint effects and they certainly add to the result. I must practice!

Thanks Ced. I think you're doing just fine.

15 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Lookin' good, lookin' good...

Why thank you sir.

13 hours ago, jrlx said:

The smoke shading on metal looks really good. Following your weathering steps with great interest.

Cheers

Jaime

Don't look too close. :lol:

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Typically inventive and impressive work on the painting/finishing Johnny.  You've got an artist's eye :)

Thank you sir. :penguin:

8 hours ago, Timmas said:

Lovely work on the Cat Johnny. And props too for your chicken shack.

Speaking of which...

Nice! 

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking great. Will follow that with interest as I will try some clear paints over a silver base on some diecast to get a metallic finish in the right colour.

By the way : Did these chicken crossed the road?

Yes the clear works well, as for the chickens, they would undoubtedly get squished if they dared cross our road. ;)

Thanks for looking in guys. I managed to get the chipping fluid sprayed tonight. Three coats. :o next step, pre shade paint and scratch. B)

Jont.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Yup Tamiya clear smoke. Thinned 1:1, I used this technique on my Lightning build a few months back, it works well.

Thanks Johnny.  I read your Lightning w.i.p. thread after seeing the tremendous finished model in RFI & didn't remember that. I despair of my memory sometimes these days! I'm going to go back & have another look!

Keith

• Like 1

Hey you lot. One step closer to crazynes with a few hours painting over last night and this morning. After the chipping fluid we go with a pre shade. Top.

37580951650_5c62a26d4f_b.jpg

and bottom.

37838519861_dbba2381e3_b.jpg

Then a thin blue coat,

37790195786_a32d10d795_b.jpg

And another layer.

37806795682_18f6d194f7_b.jpg

Looking cool I just need to add a lighter pass to the panels by adding white and a double amount of thinner.

37128466654_a751ccca91_b.jpg37790191186_97bd184853_b.jpg

I really thought that I could go at this with a coarse brush and water. I thought wrong. :worry:

37838523551_f15b262710_b.jpg

What the hell? Total bobbins. :blush: I was doing this while running around picking the boy up from cubs and walking the dog. (Not all at the same time obvs :huh:) I decided to cut my losses and re spray to get her back to square one.

37580949360_a893fc5030_b.jpg

:boxing: back in business. :hobbyhorse:this time I went at it with a cocktail stick and a little water.

37838521801_a3aefaabe2_b.jpg

more defined for sure but missing something, I want this pass to be over the top as I do t know where the black paint will be weathered but it still looked forced.  I had my slim Flory sanders and some micro mesh sticks handy so I passed over the initial scratching with a front to back whaft.

37580949290_4ecc11862f_b.jpg

lookinh better.:giles: I did a lighter more subtle pass on the underside.

37128468074_4575527357_b.jpg37806796432_6478807c49_b.jpg

The top looks really REALLY worn,

37790192306_741be27fe7_b.jpg37806796202_1d7db83c9e_b.jpg

I'm not worried about this as only a small portion of this paint work will be visible in the end. The underside ware is more like what I'm after on the final pass.

37838519631_360380105d_b.jpg

I've done a gloss top coat and I'll do a Flory wash before another chipping fluid pass and at last some black. :penguin: or maybe a salt pass? Who knows? I'm making this stuff up.B)  more tomorrow. Take care guys. 

Oh, oh, nearly forgot. I did a cheeky dry fit too.

37580951660_6cd8441b11_b.jpg

so looking forward to getting the cat black! :cat:

Johnny paint chips.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 26

Wow.  I never fail to be impressed (read: insanely jealous) by your airbrushing skills.  That wing looks decidedly worn, but for all that, it doesn't look unrealistic. 

More intrigue to come I'll wager ?

• Thanks 1

Great stuff Johnny... as usual, like the magician you are, the trick only becomes more obvious at the end! Can't wait to see how the black goes :)

• Thanks 1

Looking awfully awe inspiring Johnny, I'm loving the way the paint is getting eroded

Don't forget the rear of the wing is silver doped not natural metal, so we'd expect a variation there

Tremendous stuff sir

• Thanks 1

As a confirmed non-weatherer, even I have to admit that it looks rather effective. Don't worry Johnny, I will be back to my normal crusading for the pristine self before you know it. Mrs Martian finds this somewhat ironic as she says I am well weathered and far from pristine myself!

Martian

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Really good stuff Johnny :thumbsup: .

The first try with the coarse brush wasn’t what you’re after, but it certainly is for a couple of WWII Japanese aircraft models that I would like to make. That’s it! All sorted thanks to your experiments :thanks: .

If this cat was simply left as it is now, it would look very ‘Pacific Theatre service wear’ appropriate.

Really looking forward to black over this superb weathering.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2017 at 10:28 PM, keefr22 said:

That's coming along really nicely Johnny!

Keith

Thanks Keith.:lol:

On 21/10/2017 at 11:35 PM, hendie said:

Wow.  I never fail to be impressed (read: insanely jealous) by your airbrushing skills.  That wing looks decidedly worn, but for all that, it doesn't look unrealistic. 

More intrigue to come I'll wager ?

Thanks Hendie, I'm glad you like her. :penguin:

On 22/10/2017 at 12:25 AM, CedB said:

Great stuff Johnny... as usual, like the magician you are, the trick only becomes more obvious at the end! Can't wait to see how the black goes :)

Thanks Ced. I'm looking forward to the black too. Just have to figure out how to do it? :o

On 22/10/2017 at 12:31 AM, perdu said:

Looking awfully awe inspiring Johnny, I'm loving the way the paint is getting eroded

Don't forget the rear of the wing is silver doped not natural metal, so we'd expect a variation there

Tremendous stuff sir

A variation you say. I'll try my best. :unsure:

On 22/10/2017 at 12:41 PM, jrlx said:

Great weathering effect, very well done! Following with great interest!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie. Just one more hurdle, maybe two. :blink:

On 22/10/2017 at 1:13 PM, Nigel Heath said:

That looks like an excellent base for the final chipped topcoat.

Thankyou Mr Heath. 

On 22/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

If I come to the UK, will you give a class on airbrushing and weathering techniques?  A true master at work here...

You're far too kind, there are a lot of folk on our lovely little site far more experienced than I but Thankyou for the compliment.:wub:

On 22/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, amblypygid said:

That thought had occurred to me, too!

Gah,. Ya silly sausage. :blush:

On 22/10/2017 at 6:04 PM, Martian Hale said:

As a confirmed non-weatherer, even I have to admit that it looks rather effective. Don't worry Johnny, I will be back to my normal crusading for the pristine self before you know it. Mrs Martian finds this somewhat ironic as she says I am well weathered and far from pristine myself!

Martian

I'm sure thecweathering on mars would be lovely. :yahoo:

On 22/10/2017 at 6:42 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Really good stuff Johnny :thumbsup: .

The first try with the coarse brush wasn’t what you’re after, but it certainly is for a couple of WWII Japanese aircraft models that I would like to make. That’s it! All sorted thanks to your experiments :thanks: .

If this cat was simply left as it is now, it would look very ‘Pacific Theatre service wear’ appropriate.

Really looking forward to black over this superb weathering.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony, glad that first disaster turned into something more useful. :closedeyes:

On 22/10/2017 at 7:27 PM, giemme said:

Can't wait to see next stage, Johnny! :clap: Superb weathering so far. :worthy:

Ciao

Thanks G, I'm quite looking forward to it myself. Just have to figure out how to go about it.:giles:

11 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Coming on great guns John. 

Why thankyou sir.

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Very nice job dear black cat !

I always enjoy your way to build kits.

Lots of lessons and good idea !

Thank you all.

sincerely.

CC

Thanks Cc glad that you're liking the build.

Johnny.:cat:

• Like 4

All I'd suggest Johnny is a lack of foot induced  paint wear across the ribby bits when you topcoat it

I cant find any pictures of severe paint damage thereabouts, just some light wind abrasion effects maybe

The under-'wear' is looking brilliant

Quite what we've come to expect after all, lovely work again

• Thanks 1

Good evening Gents. A little more on the Cat tonight. A Flory wash before the push into DaRkNeSs!!!!:cat: I top coated in Tamiya gloss and then sprayed with Flory black.

37840098826_b8dacc79bc_b.jpg37888294241_f767ddc17c_b.jpg

then after drying a bit of a dusting down.

37857273112_38f6d44cba_b.jpg

Getting there, I think this is the most steps I've ever done before the final paint job.

37840097966_8bf0f8be6f_b.jpg

looking really worn now but more needs to come off.

37168621013_522d8c488c_b.jpg

That's better, if I ever do a corsair I'll know what to do.

37857273012_3929a9f3a7_b.jpg

Im really quite happy with that.:yahoo: seems a shame to cover her up. But needs must. Btw does anyone know where I can get som Daco Red? Everywhere seems sold out. :raincloud: I can sense those thick Academy decals lurking in my future.

any hoo that's it for now. I top coated again and will let her dry. I just have to figure out the next steps. :guitar: fun times.:thumbsup: thanks for dropping by on this soggy Monday evening. Take care and Happy Modelling chaps.

Johnny.:cat:

• Like 16

Excellent work on the weathering! To be honest, If I tried to do that amount of weathering I'd make a total muddle of it. The best I can manage is some light wash on panel lines, a bit of exhaust staining, and a bit of paint chipping.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Excellent weathering, looks really battered! Your mentioning Corsairs reminded me I have two in the stash and also a Hellcat and a Wildcat that could benefit from this technique.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Hello Spad,

However, there is this one

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72149

or this one

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72150

Very nicely printed and very thin ones !!

What do you need exactly ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1