"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

Thanks. I wish I could follow this, then I'd know what to do. :o

On 09/10/2017 at 11:40 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears,

Sure, Our dear Spad will make a 1/48 NMF B-29 ....:wicked::wicked:

That will be great !!

Good job on the cat Spad, like the perfect masking and yes I'm a bit jealous !

Have a good modelling time.

Sincerely.

CC

Yes I will. :pilot:Thanks CC you too.;)

On 09/10/2017 at 11:53 PM, bbudde said:

Just thought it was a silver foil. Well done

I'll try that one day. Thanks. :D

On 10/10/2017 at 5:00 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

Lovely metal finish Johnny. Such a shame you're going to cover it all up.

Thanks. :) All part of the process.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:52 AM, Fatboydim said:

The masking on the transparencies look very good. Keep on going Johnny. 

Thanks. Sure will. 

On 10/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, perdu said:

Johnny she looks good in silver, oh boy do those pictures of masking the side bulgey windows take me back

One of those jobs you can't put off forever too  :(

Yours look good  :thumbsup2:

Thanks. I know they're a bit of a pain, easier than free hand painting though. :lol:

On 10/10/2017 at 7:23 PM, Nigel Heath said:

Neat work on the masking and I predict that the chipped finish will look stunning. Looking forward to it.

Thanks. Fingers crossed eh. ;)

23 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Wot the others have said Johnny, simply stunning. Fine work on that masking, and yep reckon it'd look great in NMF; but the worn weathered black and the chipping, boy can't wait.

Thanks T . More on the chipping test next. :)

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Those masks are superb Johnny, just superb - great job.

OK, I'll ask (although I may regret it)... why do you have a cut up cork on the bench? :shrug:

Thanks Ced. Ahh the cork, yes well .....

it turned into this.

23787852548_a2fe8e3614_b.jpg

the boy needs to make a solar system fo school. The corks are in the center allowing the planets to spin individually. :pilot: I bet you never saw that coming? :smartass:

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice work! Your bottom is much shinier than mine!

Martian

Ooooh Matron. :winkgrin:

• Like 13

Good evening gents. A quick test using "Rock salt" :yahoo:

I've never had a go at this technique before so let's have a go on Mr Mule.

first up the whole wing was flooded with water and two lots of RS was sprinkled on. Ground and full rocks.

37608523342_2e39063e26_b.jpg

this was dried with a hair dryer for about five minutes on medium heat which left us here.

37641326451_a146317acb_b.jpg

The salt is lightly welded in place so I can spray the original blue colour of the cat. Low PSI at quite a far distance we get this

36930267614_e450be286e_b.jpg

Seems ok:penguin: once dry the salt gets brushed off with an old paint brush. This gives us.....

23787691848_d5b7b7e37c_b.jpg

which seems harsh but it's kind of what I was after. ^_^ this will be the actual under coat for the black top coat that will either get a chipping fluid pass or salted again or possibly both. 

Here's the test nest to the cat.

37608523012_aa9a8bd93e_b.jpg

and the wing.

37608523112_02c5635767_b.jpg

I think it might just work. What to you guys think?  My only worry is my love of pre shade. My plan is to post shade the silver with smoke, I might do this darker so that it shows through when I do the blue? Any ideas are more than welcome on this front.

I think I'll sleep on it for tonight and see what it looks like in the morning.

Thanks for dropping by. Pretty sure I'll get signed off on Friday from the Doc's as all is going well on the healing front. :penguin:

hope you all have a lovely evening.

take care ya'll and Happy Modelling.

Johnny boy.:cat:

• Like 19

My :2c: : mix some finer salt to the one you are using, and definitely post-shade the blue prior to brushing the salt off - a dark (smoke) wash will do the rest. At least, that is what I would do :wink:  :coolio: 

Glad to hear you are healing properly :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 3

I think that looks great!  Severely weathered indeed.  If you left it the blue color it could some abandoned PBY on a lonely beach somewhere!  

You have inspired me to use this method in my next build...whatever that will be...

• Like 1

Looks rather splendid john. 

I can't add anything of worth to the salt weathering but I like what you've done. Maybe some smaller bits would work but I've no idea. 

Following, watching and trying to learn. Trying. 

Sorry to hear you've not been well too but glad you appear to be on the mend. 

• Like 1

Corks for a Solar System. Obvious really :D Turned out well too!

The salt effect certainly works for a really weathered look eh? Interesting technique that I'm sure you'll use to great effect.

• Like 1

I was about to post the same pun !

She is a salty Cat !!!:wicked::wicked:

Good job Spad !

And good solar System, Did I saw our dear tentacled one going back home ??

From the blue one to the red one ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

That effect looks the business Johnny. It does look harsh, but it's the effect you're after - sometimes gorra be a bit harsh

However, tsk tsk Johnny, I'd at least thought a man of your skills would have instructed your son to ensure the planetary distances were true to scale...

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/solar_system/

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

23787852548_a2fe8e3614_b.jpg

the boy needs to make a solar system fo school. The corks are in the center allowing the planets to spin individually. :pilot: I bet you never saw that coming? :smartass:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really like the heavy weathering Johnny :thumbsup2: .

I’ve seen photos of a variety of Pacific theatre type aircraft as worn, and more, than that.

That works very well :nod: .

Really looking forward to seeing it on the black cat.

Good to hear that you’re recovering well :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11.10.2017 at 9:28 PM, The Spadgent said:

it turned into this.

Thats great:speak_cool::goodjob: Everyone will be a teacher sometimes, ( if you /he want(s) or not!) My father, dearly missed since 2013, had to do the same things in my youth. There was a paper relief of the Sauerland with it's highest mountains, which we had to do or glueing leafs from every tree in the surrounding area on a plate and get the right names for them!!!!!!!!!! ( Today a disaster here!!!!!) or something else. Cheers and good fun with it. Hope it'll be sucsessfull. Cheers

• Like 4

Nicely salted there Johnny. :thumbsup2:

I'm flirting with attempting summat similar on a smaller scale with the Dawneeay in a few places so will be more than content to take notes if you don't mind?

Nice solar system btw.:D

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hi guys. Thanks for all the feedback and lovely comments, it's been a very busy few days. Father in laws birthday and my daughters birthday, a bathroom refit, chickens new run and back to work. Needless to say not much work on the Cat.

I have had lots of time to ponder the salt technique and whether it's a good idea for this step. Long story short, I'm going to use it later on on the black pass, I feel using this method on a more subtle shift in tone will work better for me. I want to add the pre shade for my sins so trying to do this over salt then adding colour would be too risky so for this first pass I'll use chipping fluid then pre shade, paint and chip. In between coats of paint on the iron bath I managed this smoke pass on the aluminium.

37761250631_125562f402_b.jpg37091001713_90df67094a_b.jpg

and wings.

37091001743_99209c64a5_b.jpg37052163874_22263daf0a_b.jpg

with a Flory wash that I'll do after the blue that'll look great. :yahoo:oh and here's the 1:1 scale chicken run to keep the hound and other four legged fiends at bay.

37052165004_368498098f_b.jpg

its a bit of a beast but the hens are happy.

37761250981_87f0fb8acb_b.jpg

now I have a real plan I'm hoping the next step will go quite quickly. Wellll more quickly any hoo. Also that bloody HP0/400 needs doing. I haven't forgotten.

Thankyou for being patient. Fair winds friends with your various builds and I'll dry and have an update sooner rather than later.

Johnny boy.:cat:

• Like 13

With that beak, if I was the hound I'd be glad to be kept at bay! :lol: Lovely chook and a really nice run for them! (lovely airbrush job on the feathers! :D)

Is that Tamiya clear smoke that you used Johnny? The result looks very interesting for use on a weathered NMF aeroplane....

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work on the smoke and the chicken run Johnny :)

I do admire the effort you put into your paint effects and they certainly add to the result. I must practice!

• Thanks 1