I know it's a helicopter, but please take a look!

Hello Chaps,

This is my attempt at converting the Revell 1/72 Merlin Mk.1 kit into a Merlin Mk.2. If you've got this far, thanks for looking - I know helicopters aren't as popular as Spitfires and the like, but I'm not very experienced at this and it took me ages, so thank you for having a gander! 

The main little tweaks to convert include positioning a third pitot tube on the LHS of the nose, another circular aerial on the top of the tail rotor drive shaft, the two homing aerials on each side of the nose wheel bay, the little black protrusion just behind the RHS of the cockpit and a couple of other things on the aircraft's underside. Some of the original instructions were incorrect for a Mk.1 or Mk.2 (such as the window for the cargo door) and some of the decals. The main rotor head folding mechanism was truly, truly awful and resulted in me having to drizzle superglue carefully into the rotor head. The folding tail boom is very loose, so needed magnets fitting to secure it. If anybody has any queries, please do shout out. If you've ever been subjected to a kit which requires over 200 decals within millimetres of each other, please give me a sympathy thumbs up vote! Thanks again for browsing!

Here's the build thread: 

vrhyJKA.jpg

kGjigFo.jpg

91tLSU0.jpg

GhBoz07.jpg

hNZyWyI.jpg

kpwSyog.jpg

Ys7TPm0.jpg

wQH2Stb.jpg

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 50

Looks great to me, of course helicopters are better, after blue thunder and airworlf who could dispute that?

As far as jets go, I don't get the fascination, they're like nytol to me, like people say about modern cars, well, they all look the same don't they?

Pointy bit at one end, thrusty bit at t'other and a few rockets, add some silvery grey for that unique dazzle and hey, it's another jet!

• Like 3

Thanks very much for the responses, it's much appreciated! I guess everybody always looks at their finished products and the errors leap out, and for me it's airbrushing which I'm still naff at. The kit was by and large ok, let down by a bad rotor head and a ludicrous amount of decals which could have been lumped together, most of which were slightly too large. Still, I've never seen a model Merlin Mk2 done before so hopefully it'll be of some help to somebody. Especially with the Spinal Tap number of pitot tubes. 

Edit - I've just noticed that I've painted the handle to the lower personnel door in emergency release yellow and black stripes. I'm off to fix that error right now before somebody makes an embarrassing mistake on a pre flight walk around. 

Edited by wafu_vasco

Commendable build. And I do like the Merlin too.  I have a lot of helicopters in my collection so don't worry if you feel alone out there! I have a few more planned in my head and will be featured here. May take a while but....

• Thanks 1

That looks well tidy

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Why the third pitot head?  Wasn't two enough?

one is for the 'elf & safety bloke in the back; to stop them flying too fast

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I looked, I saw, I liked.  Love the wing mirrors; does it have one of those annoying reversing beepers too?  (Runs away bravely and dives bravelier for very deep cover.)

It's a lot like KITT from Knight rider. It talks to the crew. A lot. So more likely it will be a series of shrill beeps and whistles followed by "Warning! You are about to do damage which won't T Cut out!" or something similar.