Bristol Bloodhound Mk I - Airfix 1/72 RFI

Many, many years ago I built the Bloodhound so I was excited when a batch arrived as part of a re-import. Like others I snapped one up.

Usually I only build Aircraft and I'm a Bristol fan so I hope this counts as Aircraft Modelling... anyway, here it is:

36101315154_c7a8219ec1_z.jpg

Bristol Bloodhound Mk I by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

36101315324_ff09f4a843_z.jpg

I've made some attempt to replicate the Ramjet intakes and starter rocket exhausts but the old kit soft plastic didn't make it easy.

36101314784_85836e7f21_n.jpg36101315214_35cf9ae8b0_n.jpg

Of course I had to build the accompanying non-aircraft bits too and a base:

36101314634_30e8caa5b9_z.jpg

More pictures in the WiP thread here.

• Like 44

Lovely grub! It's really come up a treat. :yes:

I remember building one of these as a wee nipper! I have a recollection of some rather lumpy Humbrol M30 going on the ground equipment... Those were the days. I also built the Airfix Guideline a few years later (around 1979-ish) which survives to this day in the spare room. Whew, it's heading for 40! :huh:

The comments about Thunderbirds makes me think. I wonder if a Bloodhound could be converted to a Thunderbird?? Lose the ramjets, a few fins here, a few wings there, reuse the boosters and launcher... Huh.

• Like 1

Love it. Looks great with a terrific white finish.   I built one years ago too.  I think it came with the Airfix Hercules.  That was a BIG Chirstmas present at the time.  I must see if I can get my hands on one of these.  It would look good lurking in the background of a V-Bomber dispersal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

The kits have been re-imported and there are still some at eModels if you're quick!

Oooh. I may have to grab a couple. Thanks for the heads up Ced! :D

One to do as a Bloodhound (minus the lumpy Humbrol) and I might grab one to try and convert to the Army's answer to Bloodhound, the Thunderbird. (The English Electric one, not the Gerry Anderson ones!)

large_000000.jpg

Image nicked from the IWM. Which are definitely worth visits if at all possible.

• Like 1