K-141 Kursk 1/350

Built this as a gift for a friend who's a fan of Russian nuclear subs. This is also the first model I've painted with airbrush. The airbrush itself is a cheap single action kit with everything included, probably not the best but it got the job done and I figured it's good for learning the craft.

The kit itself is made by Zvezda and was actually pretty good considering the price. The hull halves only had 4 aligning tabs so that was a bit of a pain. I also added some styrene rod for detail in the open missile bay, as it was very bare before that.

I painted using Vallejo's primer and diluted Vallejo model color as I have a lot of those. I did some preshding with black and then painted the upper half with Vallejo black gray. Added some highlights with a mix of black gray and dark sea gray. The bottom is cavalry brown which I think serves as an excellent, not too dark hull red. For the screws I used AK's true metal gold. Lastly I sealed it up with matt varnish.

The stand is paulownia wood with a couple coats of dark oil. The kit's own stand was really unattractive so that wasn't an option.

My only grief with the build is the uneven white stripe, and that I remembered to paint it only after adding the decals so I managed to tear some with masking tape... :fraidnot:

Ivt5Dgu.jpgHN0g5gr.jpgVCuAtag.jpgn38xYIe.jpgGnomgap.jpg5TMOI8l.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

That's a really nice build.  The addition of the styrene rod to the missile bay really adds to the overall model.

Don't beat yourself up over the "white stripe" as I'm fairly certain we've all made this kind of mistake before.......it's all about learning from previous builds so that you are more prepared the next time round.

:thumbsup:

Barrie