Russian WW2 Armour x3 - T34/76, SU-122 and KV-1 - Tamiya 1/48

The three tanks below were built for the 'From Russia with Love' GB. As there are a lot of photos of each I will post them in three separate posts in this thread.

All three tanks on the diorama:

IMG_9570

Russian Tank T-34/76 Model 1941 (Cast turret)

This first tank here is Tamiya's 1/48 T-34/76 Model 1941 with the cast turret.

When first encountered on the battlefield the T-34s were described by German Tank General Von Kleist as 'the finest tank in the world'. It was, at the time, far better than contemporary German tanks. It was as a result of these tanks that the Germans developed the Panther and Tiger tanks and it was only as the war went on that the T-34 variants lost their superiority. The T-34 was fitted with 76.2mm gun which was also pretty impressive at the time. Another thing to note was the fact that the cast turret had several handrails which could be used by Russian soldiers who were transported on these tanks - this was one of the first tanks to be used in this way. The T-34 and its variants went on to be one of the most produced tanks of all time and a few are still in use today in some countries.

As with most of Tamiya's 1/48 armour it was a real pleasure to build.

Kit: Tamiya 1/48 T-34/76 Model 1941 (Cast turret)

Extras: Stretched sprue aerial (although I hadn't fitted it when I took the photos below)

Paints: Humbrol, Revell, Citadel and Railmatch acrylics all applied by brush

WIP for the whole project: Here

Diorama photos: Here

Yak-3 RFI: Here

IMG_9419

IMG_9420

IMG_9422

IMG_9423

IMG_9425

IMG_9426

IMG_9427

IMG_9428

IMG_9429

IMG_9430

IMG_9431

IMG_9432

IMG_9433

IMG_9434

IMG_9435

IMG_9436

IMG_9437

IMG_9438

IMG_9439

IMG_9440

IMG_9468

IMG_9470

IMG_9471

IMG_9472

SU122 and KV-1 below

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 21

Russian Tank Destroyer SU-122 – No.5234

The second Russian tank I made for the 'From Russia with Love' GB is Tamiya's 1/48 SU-122.

The SU122 was an assault gun that was actually built on the hull design of the T-34 and it first saw production in late 1942. It was fitted with a M-30S 122mm Howitzer. The SU-122 proved to be good at it's role of providing direct fire on strongholds but it could, apparently, blow the turret off a Tiger 1 if a direct hit was achieved.

This again was a lovely kit to build and I have added a crew figure to this one.

Kit: Tamiya 1/48 Russian Tank Destroyer SU-122

Extras: Tamiya Russian tank crew figure

Paints: Humbrol, Revell, Citadel and Railmatch all applied by brush

WIP: Here

Diorama: Here

IMG_9399

IMG_9400

IMG_9401

IMG_9403

IMG_9404

IMG_9405

IMG_9407

IMG_9408

IMG_9409

IMG_9410

IMG_9411

IMG_9412

IMG_9413

IMG_9414

IMG_9415

IMG_9416

IMG_9417

IMG_9418

IMG_9474

IMG_9475

IMG_9467

KV-1 below.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 18

Russian Heavy Tank KV-1 (w/Applique Armour)

The third kit for my ‘From Russia with Love’ GB project is Tamiya’s 1/48 KV-1 with Applique Armour.

The KV series of tanks were named after Kliment Voroshilov who was a Soviet politician and defence commissar. Early in the war these tanks were known for their heavy armour and, like the T-34s, the German tanks of the time did not prove much of a threat. The initial KV-1 design went through several development stages and in 1940 this included bolting on additional or ’Appliqué' armour. This version had a powerful 76.2mm gun.

Kit: Tamiya 1/48 KV-1 with Applique Armour

Extras: Tamiya Russian tank crew figure

Paints:  Humbrol, Revell, Citadel and Railmatch all applied by brush

WIP: Here

Diorama photos: Here

IMG_9443

IMG_9444

IMG_9445

IMG_9446

IMG_9447

IMG_9449

IMG_9452

IMG_9453

IMG_9454

IMG_9455

IMG_9456

IMG_9457

IMG_9458

IMG_9459

IMG_9460

IMG_9461

IMG_9462

IMG_9466

IMG_9476

IMG_9477

Finally - a big thank you must go to Peter (Basilisk), the hard working GB host, who supported us all throughout - and everyone who took the time to comment or offer advice in my GB thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 25

Stix all three of the tanks are looking fantastic :yes:

always amazing how fast you build your models hard to keep up with your builds at times  :blink:

beefy 

• Thanks 1

Somebody has been busy.  And here I was hinting that you were slow, yah right, foot in mouth again.

As usual these are all fantastic and done with a b.r.u.s.h no less.  You continue to amaze me, the painting is awesome and the weathering is superb.

Keep 'em coming,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

I've never been a paticular fan of Russian aFV's, but I really like all of those! Your paint & weathering looks tremendous, & I think the SU122 commander peering around the hatch is brilliant! 

Cracking work on them all, I'm off to have a look at the w.i.p.'s & your diorama pics now!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Lovely job on all three of them Stix. The painting and weathering is superb, and all done with the hairy stick! The only thing that lets them down for me (and I mean the kits, not your builds), is those rubbish tow ropes that Tamiya include in all of their 1/48th armour kits.

John.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 09:00, beefy66 said:

Stix all three of the tanks are looking fantastic :yes:

always amazing how fast you build your models hard to keep up with your builds at times  :blink:

beefy 

Thank you very much beefy for your very kind comments. :thumbsup: I always try stay organised when building so many for a GB especially!
Kind regards,

Stix

On 31/08/2017 at 10:59, FrancisGL said:

Wonderful trio of models, I like a lot, surprising what you get with the brush, nobody would say that you do not use AB.

Although not my favorite scale for AFVs, nothing to envy about the "big brothers".

:goodjob:, cheers Stix :yes:

Hi Francis and thank you very much for your very kind comments! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 31/08/2017 at 21:10, Kris B said:

Good representation of Russian armour. Models looks very good, and is hard to find is not a 1/35 scale. 

Hi Chris and thank you very much. These Tamiya 1/48 are very nicely detailed and do look bigger than they are because of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 01/09/2017 at 03:46, BlackMax12 said:

Somebody has been busy.  And here I was hinting that you were slow, yah right, foot in mouth again.

As usual these are all fantastic and done with a b.r.u.s.h no less.  You continue to amaze me, the painting is awesome and the weathering is superb.

Keep 'em coming,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd and thank you very much for your very kind comments. One of the reasons I like GBs is that they encourage me to get on with it! Sometimes, outside of GBs, I can spend too much time worrying about and working on details which sometimes won't ever be seen. In GBs I have a deadline to work to which means I enjoy building the kit itself. I still sometimes add extras but keep them to a minimum unless the base kit is lacking in some major way. Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 9/1/2017 at 10:56, keefr22 said:

I've never been a paticular fan of Russian aFV's, but I really like all of those! Your paint & weathering looks tremendous, & I think the SU122 commander peering around the hatch is brilliant! 

Cracking work on them all, I'm off to have a look at the w.i.p.'s & your diorama pics now!

Keith

Hi Keith and thank you very much for your kind comments. The SU122 commander is a nice figure and I think this figure - in Tamiya's Russian set - is designed specifically for this kit. It might have been good if they had actually included in the SU122 kit!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 9/1/2017 at 11:28, Bullbasket said:

Lovely job on all three of them Stix. The painting and weathering is superb, and all done with the hairy stick! The only thing that lets them down for me (and I mean the kits, not your builds), is those rubbish tow ropes that Tamiya include in all of their 1/48th armour kits.

John.

Hi John. Thank you very much for your kind comments. Yep - hairy sticks rule!! I do agree with you about their tow rope/cables. I must pick up some picture frame hanging wire at some point to replace them. If I hadn't been building these in a GB I may have waited until I had some to replace these.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 03/09/2017 at 16:38, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix

Three more stunners for the collection. Never cease to be amazed with what you can achieve with the old hairy stick! 👍

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve and thank you very much for your very kind comments. Most of what I learnt about using brushes came from reading Britmodeller - so thanks must go to those more experienced than me for posting their knowledge and works. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 9/4/2017 at 18:02, John_W said:

Nice work. Nearly up to Mrs PlaStix's standards.

Thanks John, most kind! That did Mrs P's ego no end of good!

Kind reegards,

Stix

On 05/09/2017 at 00:10, Buzby061 said:

Great trio. Not done any 1/48 scale armour for years. There was a firm that did a few in the late sixties or early seventies - Aurora?

Pete

Hi Pete and thank you very much. 1/48 armour from Tamiya is a real joy to build - if you fancy a go I can certainly recommend them. And yes, I think Aurora were the makers of 1/48 armour but I never made or owned any.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1