1/48 Zvezda Yak-3 "White 6"

On 31/08/2017 at 14:30, Thud4444 said:

I love the look of these little fighters. Great looking model.

Hi Thud4444 and thank you very much for your comments. I was surprised how small it was but it is a great looking aircraft.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 31/08/2017 at 19:44, GREG DESTEC said:

:clap:

Great Yak, on a brilliant base/dio. excellent work as always.

All the best

Greg 

Hi Greg. Hope you are well and thank you very much for your very kind comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 31/08/2017 at 20:02, russ c said:

Superb Yak there Stix, great detail and finish. Really nice work

Hi Russ. Thank you very much, it was a lovely model to build and paint.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 8/31/2017 at 20:10, Max Headroom said:

All applied by brush?!

I love your soft edging between the upper surface colours - how did you do that?

Trevor

Hi Trevor and thank you very much for your kind comments. With regards the soft edges: it was a bit of an experiment really. I had never done soft edge camo before so had to make it up as I went along. If you check out this link it shows how it looked during the process. I had painted the main areas of the camouflage and it just looked wrong. So I ended up stippling on a very thinned grey which was approximately a mid-shade between the two. If you need any more info just let me know.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 31/08/2017 at 21:08, stevej60 said:

Excellent work Stix,beautifully painted and that engine look's superb!

Hi Steve and thank you very much. Yes the engine on this kit is really nicely detailed - in fact it's the reason I decided to have it on the ground rather than with a spinning prop and in flight above the tanks. It could have perhaps done with a bit of extra wiring but I didn't have time to spare.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 13:22, Winenut said:

Hey Stix,

Your mastery in the build and the finish blows my mind.

Superb Yak.

Love the photos in the diorama setting........ looks brilliant!

I brush painted one element on my most recent build and it was a disaster lol!

Hats off to you sir on all your skills

Top job

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce. You are very, very kind as always. I think the thing is, because I don't have an airbrush and don't like using rattlecans, I do a lot of brush painting resulting in an improving technique. A lot can depend on the paint as well though. I mostly find Humbrol and Revell are the best to use thinned with water. Revell paints are usually fairly consistant to paint with whereas Humbrol have very good batches and some very bad batches. Some new Humbrol batches have been very 'oily' and difficult to use.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 14:02, BerndM said:

If you want to build a really sharp looking WWII propeller driven fighter,  do a Yak-3 with the arrow on the fuselage, you can t go go wrong. 

Stunning build as well the diorama, looks fantastic ! Your careful paint job made all the details in the engine bay pop out. 

:thumbsup:

Have a great weekend.

Hi Bernd. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments. To be fair I think Zvezda did a great job with the engine making it easier to paint.

Hope you had a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 22:10, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the Yak-3 and the diorama, Stix! As you indicated in your first post, it was a deadly little fighter at low altitudes. If you were in a German fighter and you saw one, the best thing was to hope that it didn't see you. 1/48th scale isn't normally my scale, but it would look great next to my Tamiya Il-2 (whenever I get back to it), and that engine looks great. Was the engine OOB? Za Rodinu!

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. It was a great plane and this is a really nice kit of it and I can certainly recommend it. The engine is completely as it comes OOB - the detail is really nicely done. The only thing I did in this area was to drill out the ends of the exhausts.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 02/09/2017 at 13:08, FraserMcPhie said:

Excellent work there, it never ceases to amaze me what you can achieve with the hairy stick. 

Hi Fraser. Thank you very much for your very kind comments - I must admit I do enjoy painting with brushes.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 02/09/2017 at 17:30, corsaircorp said:

Hello Stix,

Very nice Yak here, you did great:worthy:

I really enjoy the diorama too !

Congratulations !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you very much Corsaircorp - most kind! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2017 at 19:24, cambridge said:

was this kit nice to build? i put my eyes on this one and the La-5 from Zvezda and they both seemed well made and good for the price, if i had more space for 1/48 planes  i would probably buy one of them. 

Hi cambridge. Sorry for the late reply - I thoroughly enjoyed making this kit. Fit generally was pretty good as was the detail. I cannot vouch for it's accuracy but it looks to me like a Yak-3. The only bit I found a little tricky was getting the engine attached at the end but that was because of the way I had opted to paint and build it. I'd recommend this kit quite highly.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 07/09/2017 at 21:07, Dave N said:

More superbness Stix !   great looking Yak, and the  dio is amazing.    cheers, Dave

Hi Dave and thank you very much for your very kind comments.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 31/08/2017 at 17:08, stevej60 said:

Excellent work Stix,beautifully painted and that engine look's superb!

I say the same. And, Normandie Niemen markings (spinner, etc.) are very cool. Fantastic Yak!

Edited by Convair
  • Thanks 1

On 13/09/2017 at 00:53, bruce bay said:

Really wonderful build. The slightly mottled finish really makes it... Looks lifesize with it. Beautiful model! 

Hi Bruce and thank you very much for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 14/09/2017 at 08:42, Wolwe82 said:

Awesome Stix, love the paint work and weathering, once again you made me to look in ave on your model :) amazing work :) Just going to read the WIP, the weathered paintwork looks superb , cheers :)

Hi Wolwe. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you very much, as always, for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

Have you got any projects on the go at the moment?

Kind regards,

Stix