1/48 Zvezda Yak-3 "White 6"

Yak-3

White 6

Lieutenant Marcel Albert, 1st FAR “Normandie Niemen”, 303rd FAD, Autumn 1944/Spring 1945

It’s been a few months since I have built an aircraft model but, for the ‘From Russia with Love’ GB, I decided I’d do something similar to my MTO GB build where I made a diorama with three German tanks and one aircraft. My original intention was to have the aircraft flying over the three Russian tanks (similar to my MTO GB project) but when I saw Zvezda had included a rather nicely detailed engine I changed my plans and decided to have it on the ground with the covers off. It was a lovely kit to build and apart from when I had a bit of an issue with how I had painted the camo colours it was one of my most pleasurable builds to date.

The Yak-3 is a great looking aircraft which was developed from a Yak-1M airframe and had a strong resemblance to its forerunners. The Yak-3 was superior to the Yak-1 – it was lighter and with smaller wings, powered by a Klimov VK-105PF engine - it was much faster and more agile.  It was also better than most of its German opponents – especially at low altitudes where most aerial combat in the east took place – and during the last ten months of the war Yak-3s played a key role in defeating the Luftwaffe.  Just under 5,000 Yak-3s were produced between late 1943 and early 1946. “White 6” (as I have built this model as) was flown by Lieutenant Marcel Albert, 1st FAR “Normandie Niemen”, 303rd FAD between Autumn 1944 and Spring 1945. Yak-3, “White 6” carried a white arrow/lightning bolt on either side of the fuselage and had a tri-colour spinner.

Kit: 1/48 Zvezda Yak-3

Extras: Tamiya seat belts and EZline aerial wire

Paints: Humbrol, Revell, Citadel and Railmatch Acrylics - all applied by brush

WIP: Here

Tank RFI: Here

Diorama photos: Here

IMG_9376

IMG_9377

IMG_9325

IMG_9327

IMG_9224

IMG_9329

IMG_9330

IMG_9331

IMG_9375

IMG_9364

IMG_9370

IMG_9244

IMG_9361

IMG_9248

IMG_9249

IMG_9379

IMG_9381

IMG_9383

IMG_9385

As I mentioned above - this Yak-3 was made for a diorama - so here are a few pictures of it in place - more photos of the scene can be found here

IMG_9590

IMG_9603

IMG_9619

Finally - a big thank you must go to Peter (Basilisk), the hard working GB host, who supported us all throughout - and everyone who took the time to comment or offer advice in my GB thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, invidia said:

wow thats stunning, and you brush painted it!!!!! 

Thank you very much invidia - you are very kind. Most of my stuff is brush painted. I occasionally use Humbrol spray cans if I am in a rush - like I was in the Blitzbuild GB - but I much prefer painting with brushes and I don't have an airbrush or anywhere to use one.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hello,Stix - Well,my friend,you've done it again with this beautiful 'Yak' build.Superb detailing and finishing work as always and another fine testament to your modelling skills.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Thanks 1

Stix, concealing an aircraft build inside a tank build ain't fair!! I totally missed this! :frantic:  :D

Excellent job on this Yak 3, the weathering is simply superb :worthy:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Stix - Well,my friend,you've done it again with this beautiful 'Yak' build.Superb detailing and finishing work as always and another fine testament to your modelling skills.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Hi Paul and thank you, as always, for your very kind comments. Looking forward to seeing your Phantom project - I'm certain it will be a stunner!

Kind regards,

Stix

40 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Paul and thank you, as always, for your very kind comments. Looking forward to seeing your Phantom project - I'm certain it will be a stunner!

Kind regards,

Stix

You're more than welcome,Stix. Any praise with your work is totally justified.Yes indeed,I'll be looking forward to posting some photos of my builds again when I get the power behind the button sorted out!🤓👍All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hey Stix,

Your mastery in the build and the finish blows my mind.

Superb Yak.

Love the photos in the diorama setting........ looks brilliant!

I brush painted one element on my most recent build and it was a disaster lol!

Hats off to you sir on all your skills

Top job

Cheers

Bruce

• Thanks 1

If you want to build a really sharp looking WWII propeller driven fighter,  do a Yak-3 with the arrow on the fuselage, you can t go go wrong. 

Stunning build as well the diorama, looks fantastic ! Your careful paint job made all the details in the engine bay pop out. 

:thumbsup:

Have a great weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/08/2017 at 13:09, giemme said:

Stix, concealing an aircraft build inside a tank build ain't fair!! I totally missed this! :frantic:  :D

Excellent job on this Yak 3, the weathering is simply superb :worthy:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. Sorry for the confusion - I just like making life complicated! ;)

Thank you very much for your kind comments and hope you have a great weekend. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 31/08/2017 at 14:02, Darby said:

Lovely build. And to say it's all brush work as well.

Thank you very much Darby. Yes - I don't own an airbrush so the majority of my builds are painted with the old hairy sticks although, very occasionally, I use Humbrol spray paints on projects like the Blitzbuild GB. I'm not a big fan of spray can paints but these days they dry really fast allowing rapid progress when needed.

Kind regards,

Stix

Brilliant job on the Yak-3 and the diorama, Stix! As you indicated in your first post, it was a deadly little fighter at low altitudes. If you were in a German fighter and you saw one, the best thing was to hope that it didn't see you. 1/48th scale isn't normally my scale, but it would look great next to my Tamiya Il-2 (whenever I get back to it), and that engine looks great. Was the engine OOB? Za Rodinu!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Thanks 1