Ark Royal rip off Detail set ?

https://hlj.com/product/VRFVFM350004

1/350 HMS Ark Royal Detail Set (Trumpeter65307) by  VERYFIRE      

and

Tetra Model Works

(SE-35009) Tetra Model Works 1/350 HMS Ark Royal Detail-Up

is it just me or are they identical - and dare I say it , a direct copy of the tetra detail set by VERY Fire of China ?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tetramodel/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1393290587371259

even the instruction leaflet is the same !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 73north said:

https://hlj.com/product/VRFVFM350004

1/350 HMS Ark Royal Detail Set (Trumpeter65307) by  VERYFIRE      

and

Tetra Model Works

(SE-35009) Tetra Model Works 1/350 HMS Ark Royal Detail-Up

is it just me or are they identical - and dare I say it , a direct copy of the tetra detail set by VERY Fire of China ?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tetramodel/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1393290587371259

even the instruction leaflet is the same !

The way the photoetch parts are laid out on the frets appears to be very different between the two sets. That doesn't mean the parts might not otherwise be identical, but it is not obvious to me that they are.

the killer is that the instruction leaflet ( in green ) is the exact same as Tetra used when I seen in , before photobucket went rogue -

that is the main proof --

Edited by 73north

I got an interesting reply from Tetra on facebook

Tetra Model Works
Tetra Model Works Thank you for your comment. This is not the same as our product.
I believe that our products are more accurate and detailed when judged by photographs.
However, I think this product copied many of our product ideas.

Etched parts can be easily duplicated, but it is very difficult to punish them.
Unfortunately, there is only one way to believe in their conscience.
I thank you again for your interest. Have a nice day!

( note - colour added - by me ) otherwise this is from Tetra's reply verbatim .............

Edited by 73north

I stock both brands - they're not the same at all. I have both sets at home to compare directly (which I did as soon as I could, as I wanted to know whether to use one, the other, or both - either with or without Peter Hall's White Ensign Models PE set for my own Ark Royal build). I also believe I have a good relationship with the focal points of both companies.

VeryFire have also released their first injection moulded kit - the very nice 1/700 scale USS Montana battleship which comes complete with very comprehensive PE sheet. The quality is as good as Flyhawk's much praised (deservedly) recent injection moulded releases. Future plans sound very exciting too.

They also have sets for several other 1/350 warships including Graf Spee which is a welcome addition to the overall market, I feel.

They're both very nice sets. The VeryFire set includes a new resin funnel too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're coming to the Aberdeen show on the 23rd I should have both sets with me if you fancy a look in person. :)

We should still have some Montana kits too. Even if not a subject of interest, the quality of the box contents promises great things from this new-start up company - particularly if some subjects and scales he has planned for 2018 / 2019 (which I'd love to share, but shall keep confidential until VeryFire themselves are ready to announce - otherwise I'd be a bit of a prat!) come to fruition.

Having said that, I am a big fan of Tetra Modelworks too. My conclusion from the above mentioned deliberation was that I'd be happy to use either. I intend to spend a lot of money buying a Fujimi 1/350 Kaga specifically to use the Tetra Modelworks set with it some time. I need to clear some of the workbench backlog a bit though!

We might get some more from Pontos Model. We're compiling an order now. We left it a while as the last one was a bit of a sour experience. The guy himself is pleasant enough and the products are first class, but they're a hard company to deal with. They make products to order and need cash up front. We decided the last one deprived us of what to us is a substantial wedge of operating capital for too long (months). Hence, we're scaling back on Pontos shelf stocking and only replacing what people specifically want / commit to. For the big 1/200 Hoods etc there's still a big queue of folks happy to do so. For the less demanded stuff, we'll throttle back to perhaps annual or bi-annual restocks.

I did enquire with Mk1 / KA Models. They've given distributorship to Hannants, so we're not able to get them.