5 Year Old's First Model - 1/72 Hurricane Mk.1

Finished! Here's the proud little fellow with his first completed project! I hadn't even finished taking the photos when I was hit with "Dad, can we start the Hawk now?"

l1teKbf.jpg

PVvHXwx.jpg

Ready for Inspection link:

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 18

That's a really lovely looking Hurricane Leo - & looks right at home up there on your ceiling!  Well done to you - & to dad for his help & encouragement - keep at it!!

What great enjoyment & memories this thread has given!

Keith

• Like 1

Leo..

EXEMPLARY build and what a fantastic build young man.

Keep doing that and I am very sure your modeling will become even more SUPER. 

SUPERB builds. 

Nice smile too .you look happy with modeling. Better than gadgets!

Rock on Leo.

:clap2::pilot::mike:

• Thanks 1

I'm glad to see that Leo is pleased with the kits (sorry about the Hurricane, it's not a great kit).

I'd recommend the recent Airfix Spitfire Mk1 and MkXIX. Although they ain't cheap, they're pretty simple builds (certainly easier than the Hurricane) and, well, they're Spitfires... what boy doesn't like Spitfires.

Also, some of the old Hasegawa kits are worth looking into, if you get them cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:53, yarvelling said:

And here's my last brush-painted 1/72 scale Hurricane (Airfix kit)........ just to show that an airbrush isn't always needed at this scale ;)  I used Humbrol flat brushes from a a brush-pack to make this one.... the flat brushes make the difference though for getting a smooth finish... ;)

IMG_0308

I agree on the flat brushes for the larger areas - I still don't feel the need to move on to the airbrushes, although that is probably because I'm still doing the raised panel line / rivets kits. I can see me changing brushes regularly though because I think they start to bunch eventually with less than thorough cleaning.

Great build thread and first class input from the 'Britmodellers' as usual.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Cracking model, young Leo- what a great first effort, and produced in less time than it takes me to just get the decals on!

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I can see me changing brushes regularly though because I think they start to bunch eventually with less than thorough cleaning.

This stuff isn't cheap, but it is absolutely brilliant for cleaning paintbrushes; even ones you think are way too far gone. It also lasts quite a long time as you don't use much per clean.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/the-masters-brush-cleaner-and-preserver-30ml?channable=e17573.NDU4MTA&___store=jacksonsart_en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIie-Suaid1gIV7ZTtCh1jSgwpEAQYASABEgLZo_D_BwE

You can get it from many suppliers, I think I got my last lot from Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job Leo - I'd be very pleased with that finish! :)

I used to hang my models from the ceiling when I was young and I'm doing the same now... great display and fun having them 'in action'!

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2017 at 11:56 AM, wafu_vasco said:

He tells me that he doesn't want to have to save up for ages between kits so low price is good, and that also he thinks the painting is the most fun part so quicker and easier build also gets the thumbs up from him. He still seems adamant to pursue the plan of a A6M in white. 

The build has slowed a little as enthusiasms has wained just a touch with the realisation that all colours need at least two coats to look half decent.

Well Leo, having to do multiple coats puts me off, too!  (cue Old Codger voice:) "When I was your age..." paint covered well in one go, but alas many companies have now "formulated for airbrush".  Tell your Dad that you are interested in checking out airbrushing!  And there may be some other paint lines that do better with brush painting.  (I actually rather like the paints that come with those starter sets.)  While I'm far from being "an expert", using the right brush for the job can help, too.

As for white Zeros, if that's the way you want to do it, go ahead.  It is a lovely design, and sometimes it is fun just to enjoy an airplane for its own sake, without worrying about perfectly capturing "historical accuracy" (and if that matters too, I'm pretty sure that you can find an example, perhaps captured, that was in fact painted white).

Oh, by the way, if you resort to "rattle cans", be careful- they tend to put out a lot of paint, which can mess up your model.  While it is expensive (to put it mildly), I've had good results with Tamiya spray cans so far.

bob

p.s. Oops, once again I commented on a post in the thread, and forgot that there were more pages to read!

p.p.s. That picture of you looking up at the Hurri- THAT'S what it's all about!  (Well, that and the fun of the process, too.)

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1