Greek Canadair firefighters...

John Masters

I'm amazed to see they are still at it. I saw one fight a fire on the mainland across from Poros in 1983, we had a grand stand view as it scooped up water & dumped it only a km or so away all the while under our gaze. Brilliant. Thanks for the link.

Steve.

Pelican 33 is the plane in the accident in france..the ship where it flew into was moored at a permanent mooring place.....

Hereby a link to a movie from last year were a few people and the plane escaped death and a crash..

And what you see is unbelievable if was one of these onlookers i would have bought myself a lottery ticket..

http://www.lindependant.fr/2016/08/14/video-de-l-inconscience-d-admirer-un-canadair-sur-le-lac-de-villeneuve-de-la-raho,2243231.php

Plane in question is by coincidence Pelican 33 i  would avoid that plane it has a death wish i think...

Edited by janneman36
info added

Interesting to see that Greece is still flying the base model CL-215 with the radial engines.  Most of the Canadian provinces have retired their original -215 airframes and upgraded to the CL-415's however Alberta who has 4 frames (#202,203,204,205) went through a multi-year upgrade process and converted their original CL-215's to CL-215T's.  Upgrades make them comparable to the -415's with the turbine engines and improved...well almost everything.  

On the other had they are not the only airframe to be useful and Greece does work with other governments to use Single Engine Air Tankers (SEAT's) such as the Air Tractor 802's from Israel or non-scooper aircraft such as the S2 Trackers used by Securite Civile in France (home of Pelican 33 shown in the clip above near Marsaille).

Either way...always a nice sound on the ground when the bird dog siren flies overhead indicating a drop is incoming...sure beats shovel work.