Supermarine Seagull ASR-1 - All Done

Hello Everyone

Many thanks for the very kind words of encouragement and support - appreciated and needed.

Progress has continued and the Seagull is coming together - I think it actually has a passing resemblance to the real thing too!!

Little bits and pieces added since the last set of photos - she now has an arrestor hook (although how it works from that far up the fin I have no idea, unless its streamed somehow or on an extending pole), tail-wheel and the initial set of decals.   Undercarriage is engaged (although I fear I might have got the main doors positioned on the wrong sides) and after some encouragement the wheels touch the ground in basically the right places.

37859522905_90d48f6a11.jpg

38746468771_e39c476fa2.jpg

24873646968_4fd4734a0a.jpg

38746459481_fc6e31f12d.jpg

24873642188_3758ee8f76_n.jpg

(You can just about discern the wing droop in final photo - hey ho!)  Looking closely at the nacelle and spinner wrt the propeller danger markings, I also sense that the whole assembly is too far forward - not enough removal of material from the back of the spinner methinks.

Clearly we are still missing a few vital organs - floats, engine exhausts and propeller blades - but I think the finishing straight is in sight.  As I commented originally the 'Prototype' roundel provided by OLIMP has the wrong internal colour but a set of decals from Mr H arrived this morning - so some marking and painting of the rear fuselage with a circle of EDSG should provide a better definition and bring PA143 to a conclusion.

As always some great modelling on the builds - congratulations to everyone

Regards

Andrew

• Like 10

Nice result Andrew :)

An unusual subject - that penultimate shot from the side shows off its shape and the slightly 'snooty' attitude of the nose, as though it's saying "All the best flying boats have tails like mine".

• Haha 1

• SeaPlane changed the title to Supermarine Seagull ASR-1 - All Done

Hello Everyone

Once again many thanks for all the kind words

The wings now have the necessary floats and instrument tubes, the spinner has blades, the engine can breathe through the exhaust port and the final decals are on (bar one which has gone walkabout); I'm going to call it finished.

To that end ...

24046970197_881a04dde5.jpg

25040403988_5eebca403e.jpg

27135246759_974b057a35.jpg

38025235235_eecb2bfc0d.jpg

38911513971_f002420777.jpg

My observations:

• OLIMP resin good to work with, excellent detail, instructions not bad, takes paint very well without huge amounts of primer
  • decals a little temperamental (hence the one on walkabout) - more use of micro set and sol I sense
  • my disappointments are the errors with the pylon / nacelle / wing angles and the main undercarriage doors are on the wrong sides
  • overall though its been fun, delighted to have been part of this community and it looks good on the shelf

All comments critiques etc most welcome

Good Luck to everyone - there is some wonderful stuff in this group; inspirational.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 10