Supermarine Seagull ASR-1 - All Done

Hello Everyone

I wonder if I might join this happy band of builders?   Having been a long time watcher and admirer of the fantastic work displayed on the forum, I have been persuaded / cajoled into contributing something by Jockney and the kind words of Stevej60 and so may I offer the OLIMP Pro Resin Model of the 1948 Supermarine Seagull ASR-1.

So with heart in mouth and some trepidation given this is

• my first WIP
  • my first Group Build
  • and my first attempts at posting photos - anything could happen.

Recognising the protocols, some box shots, the resin pieces I shall be hoping come together smoothly and the instructions / decals to guide.

36087046534_f665a1450d_b.jpg

36113241873_41076344bd_b.jpg

36525057310_54d7d050c1_b.jpg

36113225053_c651977f21_b.jpg

Having build Anigrand, Planet, Karaya and Unicraft resin stuff before, this set of pieces seems right up with the best of them, good details both internal and external and smooth finishes  to the primary surfaces.

Hope this is all OK - picture size too big, too small?

Onwards from the 2nd then - although my starting might be a little delayed!!

Regards

Andrew

• Like 13

Please sir, can I watch?!

Viewing on an iPhone the pix are just fine. 

I never knew there was a kit of this. If ever a seaplane could be described as sleek, then this is it!

I'm curious about the prototype marking as I always thought that it was just a hollow yellow ring.

Best of luck!

Trevor

That's a nice idea, and a great one for a first !:yes:

Will follow from time to time

Hava a nice modelling time, this GB will be great !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

That is very, very attractive!

As a newbie, I know what you mean about wondering how you've come to rub shoulders with the very talented modellers on here. Hopefully 4 months is plenty of time, but if its any consolation it was at the 3rd attempt that I actually finished a GB (I might need my own personal KUTA GB)

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the GB! Very interesting choice and the resin parts do look highly detailed.

I hope you find your first GB to be fun and interesting, whether you manage to finish your entry in time or not. Like many others I only finished one entry to a GB in time and left many others stuck in the shelf but the point of a GB is the increased interaction with other modellers working on a specific subject.

So I wish you luck and fun with your participation and look forward to seeing your build taking shape :)

Cheers

Jaime

I had the Maintrack vacuform kit of this, sadly now long lost, but this has been at or near the top of resin kits I'd love to have so I'll be very interested to see how you get on with it. Best of luck!

Regards,

Jason

Wow, such encouragement; many thanks, much appreciated.

Clearly with so many interested parties there's no pressure then!!  Hopefully you'll all think I do it justice over the coming weeks.

There is a Seagull ASR here on BM, by Deon back in 2009 from a vacform presentation - great job, hope my attempt is half as good.  Seems the 'matt beige green' was used for the lower fuselage colour, whereas I might go for an off-white as seen in most of the photos of the day.  Still TBD on that though - if only because how 'off' is the 'off'?

Start is likely to be mid-week when the 15 or so pieces that make up the cockpit will be treated to a wash and brush-up and some colour.  Instructions suggest a base colour of Black Grey highlighted with additional areas of Flat Black and relieved by olive green on the seats.  All seems a little too drab and bleak even for 1948 and a prototype, so some lightening might be applied to remove so much emphasis on 'black'.  Hope this doesn't offend the 'originalistas' too much.

Good luck to everyone

Andrew

• Like 4

On 30/08/2017 at 6:52 PM, SeaPlane said:

Hello Everyone

I wonder if I might join this happy band of builders?   Having been a long time watcher and admirer of the fantastic work displayed on the forum, I have been persuaded / cajoled into contributing something by Jockney and the kind words of Stevej60 and so may I offer the OLIMP Pro Resin Model of the 1948 Supermarine Seagull ASR-1.

36087046534_f665a1450d_b.jpg

Regards

Andrew

OK it's a fare cop :sorry: yes guilty as charged, so please can I ask everyone to play nicely please :)

Im really pleased to see you participating in this GB Andrew, and I love the choice. I rescued a part built Vacform version of this many years ago, seeing yours I will have to find mine for the next KUTA GB. 

With you all the way on this one. :popcorn:

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SeaPlane said:

Wow, such encouragement; many thanks, much appreciated.

Clearly with so many interested parties there's no pressure then!!  Hopefully you'll all think I do it justice over the coming weeks.

There is a Seagull ASR here on BM, by Deon back in 2009 from a vacform presentation - great job, hope my attempt is half as good.  Seems the 'matt beige green' was used for the lower fuselage colour, whereas I might go for an off-white as seen in most of the photos of the day.  Still TBD on that though - if only because how 'off' is the 'off'?

Start is likely to be mid-week when the 15 or so pieces that make up the cockpit will be treated to a wash and brush-up and some colour.  Instructions suggest a base colour of Black Grey highlighted with additional areas of Flat Black and relieved by olive green on the seats.  All seems a little too drab and bleak even for 1948 and a prototype, so some lightening might be applied to remove so much emphasis on 'black'.  Hope this doesn't offend the 'originalistas' too much.

Good luck to everyone

Andrew

It was painted standard Royal Navy EDSG over Sky. At one point it sported a third fin a la York/Constellation. Trialled here in Felixstowe at the MAEE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Everyone

There really is some wonderful modelling going on here - a great pleasure to watch it all unfold.  For me the work falls into 1 of 3 camps:

• those models that are new to me and so potentially expand the 'to be built' pile
  • those builds that show me how models I've built should have been built (the Be-4, SM-55X, Do 18(G rather than D), the Do24T, the Emily, the Albatross)
  • those builds that show me how those I've yet to build should be built (the BV222, the Do 24 (I've got a range of extras for that for an MS version including the now extinct Goffy Engine set), the Sea Otter, the Stranraer (and in QCA colours too!))

Still on to the Seagull - my thanks to Max Headroom and Bentwaters81tfw for their comments.  The prototype markings are indeed unusual, and wrong!  The decal provided has a red internal colouring and typically they were indeed a hollow ring and the bright 'P', but apparently for this beast they filled the roundel in EDSG to better stand out against the white fuselage - so the roundel should be filled, just not with red!  The reference about the white fuselage refires that debate too!   Bentwaters81tfw is absolutely right about the tail fin configurations - indeed there were at least three configurations of the tail, two with a central (third) fin of various sizes and one without (this one!!).  Indeed one of the configurations included a resizing of the original tail fins as well as the third element. I've no doubt that the lower colour was Sky at some stage, but all the photos I've found to date suggest a white lower colour for PA143 in the configuration presented here.

And some progress - I've manged to persuade a number of the components to fly in close formation and resemble a cockpit.

37068282766_1ebc799403_c.jpg

37115881191_50b36c00ef_c.jpg

37068279166_fdf50b5d5e_c.jpg

37068278306_02b84e1086_z.jpg

The base colour isn't really as blue in tone as the photos suggest - Tamiya neutral grey actually - and the IP decal is a great fit and set on the resin piece.

And just as a taster for fit, the cockpit is placed a fuselage half to check fit and gaps etc.  You can just about make out the film element provided for the cabin window in this final shot too.  Still trying to get the hang of these close up detail photos so apologies for the quality

37068278116_28a4e0e151_z.jpg

The wing mounting structure is also together, so its coming along.

Probably the last update for awhile  - a brief holiday awaits, when I'm hoping to stumble across a complete Do24T in the Military Museum in Soesterberg.

Best Wishes

Andrew

• Like 6

Great start and good progress, Andrew! The photography looks good too! Your too blue interior colours are probably due to the auto white balance of the camera being fooled by the green background. You may be able to adjust it by photographing a white sheet of paper under the same lighting and keep that white balance in manual mode afterwards.

Cheers

Jaime

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

Back from touring the Netherlands and pressing on with the Seagull - various bits and pieces are together including the fuselage, so its beginning to look like an aircraft!  Pictures will follow when some further progress and primer / undercoat has been applied.

I'm impressed by OLIMP's resin and detail - all seems to be easy to work with.  There have been a few air bubble and holes in the resin (one large one each on the main wheels) but little of real concern.  Removing pieces from the pouring blocks hasn't been too much of a pain either although as always the little pieces can be tricky and the only major elements left now to be removed and prepped are the wings. They might be a tad more difficult as the area between block and model piece is very small and working the blade or saw into the right area without taking off pieces of the wing might be my undoing.

The model is definitely designed for a wheels down presentation as the wheels themselves don't fit into the provided wheel wells!  But as that was the plan.....

Some great work on this GB and some great ideas for future builds

Regards

Andrew

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

Some progress to report but not all good - indeed the MSA of this build has been erratic and fractured to say the least and disappointment is creeping in.

I spoke too soon about working with the resin - the wings were indeed a pain to remove from the pouring blocks and during construction it seems that things are not as flat or square as I would want and so specific angles and elements are not right and the general tenor of the craft seems out of kilter.  My incompetence I suspect.

The major pieces all primed up well

24391188218_45d50fe3ea.jpg

and the tail and pylon seemed to go together well (with a little encouragement in the fill sand repeat sequence)

38207561976_2c208a74a5.jpg

but the addition of the wings made me realise that the nacelle has a list to starboard and little correction is possible with the wing / nacelle joint, so I don't think the right wing angles have been achieved - which makes the whole thing look a little flat. 

With the initial coats of off-white on the model. it now looks like this;

38262380301_fe5cda1a2a.jpg

38207557296_2f2abf51d3.jpg

Onwards and upwards I suppose - now the task of masking off and applying some EDSG to contrast the underside colour.

To make matters even worse, something has come adrift in the cockpit and is rattling around the model everytime I pick it up - joystick gone walkabout I think - so the canopy might come off to try and correct.  Good job OLIMP provide two of them just in case!

Some wonderful work elsewhere in this GB, many congrats to all concerned

Regards

• Like 6

Great progress Andrew

Sorry to hear about the engine nacelle, could you use a dremel ( other brands are available) to do a cut then shim up the low side, above the wing if that's where the problem lies ?

Please don't be too negative. The aircraft looks great, and will look even better with the addition of EDSG. My personal favourite is loosing a window on the inside to rattle about.

cheers Pat

I agree with Pat: the model is looking very good. I can't notice any misalignments in the pictures.

The primed and painted surfaces look wonderful.

Cheers

Jaime