South Atlantic Shoot Down

tc2324

Time for my next little project involving the following kits.

36278641840_6bb06da749_b.jpg 

36278639880_65ff29dbc6_b.jpg 

36278637880_71a6a3c9e2_b.jpg 

Kits look OK, if a little basic, but are more than ideal for this build.

On Friday 21st May, a A-4Q Skyhawk of CANA 3 Esc was shot down near Swan Island in Falkland Sound at approx 3.12 pm by Lt Morell RN in No.800 Sea Harrier XZ457 using a Sidewinder. The A-4 pilot Lt Cmdr Philippi ejected safely.

I found the following pictures of the two examples involved and I`ll be basing my schemes based on these shots as they are as close as I will ever get.

First up is A-4Q Skyhawk `307`

35879463074_8d5ca3b09b_b.jpg

`307` can clearly be seen 5th from camera in this shot. The aircraft will be in a clean configuration as the pilot jettisoned the tanks and pylons in an effort to escape the incoming SHAR attack.

Next is Sea Harrier XZ457 which turned out to be the highest scoring Harrier from HMS Hermes during the conflict with 4 kills IIRC. In this picture only 3 markings are seen as the 4th kill, another A-4Q, took a while to confirm.

36575589311_2dbe6fe921_b.jpg 

And finally exactly where I am in the build......

36641445622_2101831155_b.jpg 

36812152575_72d47c515a_b.jpg 

Yep, not far at all.

More soon and any advice or information on this event are welcome.

• Like 11

The story so far .........;

36964948185_8b24d542ac_z.jpg 

Have to say that these kits are not great to build. 

The Hobbycraft I expected, after all take a look at that nose fit...! But was a little surprised at the Tamiya SHAR?

No wheels up option and the fit in some places is bad. Maybe it`s an old kit or I have somehow stumbled upon the runt of the litter?

Anyways, onwards and upwards...... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tc2324 said:

No wheels up option and the fit in some places is bad. Maybe it`s an old kit or I have somehow stumbled upon the runt of the litter?

Hopefully to reassure you - it's a very old kit: it predates the old Airfix Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1 kit and may have even released before the 1982 Falklands conflict.

• Like 1

:analintruder: Noooiiiceee one, tc, mate!

This is going to be an In-Flight dio, of course. I love how the Scooters look like without the 300-litre gas jugs under the wings.

Both kits need some sort of attention; the HobbyCraft Scooter's nose and windshield are real forgettable, as it's the whole nose and intakes in the Tamiya SHar. But the failures on both kits can be easily restored by means of aftermarkets, if so you will.

Will be following this one.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1

Had a slight break, but got back into the swing of things. 

36539126224_f301ea0aed_b.jpg

37248778411_8fe5da28a0_b.jpg 

Gonna finish off the decals, gloss/matt coats and weathering before adding the fiddly bits and then start working on the bases and Sidewinder `shot`.

Have to admit I`ve not totally enjoyed this project. Felt the kits and decals were fighting me but perhaps it`s just their age showing? 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

With work commitments very much the main recently it seems like an age since I did any work on this. But today I `weathered` both models before starting work on adding the fiddly bits. 

I also started work on the bases. Both models will have it`s own individual base so that they can each be displayed separately if required. 

37401741712_bb1ac29f9a_b.jpg 

37175564110_739dc8faab_b.jpg

37401740852_d620e0946b_b.jpg

More soon.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks great!

I'd assume the Skyhawk sporting some pylons at least?

Certainly will. I`m adding those with the `fiddly bits` in due course. 

Lt Cmdr Philippi combat report stated that as soon as his flight became aware of the Harriers, they jettisoned fuel tanks and bomb racks, went to full throttle and as low as possible in order to make their escape. I`m basing this build pretty much on that statement.

• Like 1