Vickers Vimy - accuracy of Frog kit

leyreynolds

It is basically accurate but has some issues, not least of which is that it was originally  designed to represent the Alcokc and brown aircraft, which had differences to a normal service Vimy. Frog did make some changes, but left a lot of the A& B features Back in the early 80s, PAM News had an article about correcting/amending it, which i should have a scan of somewhere

Edited by Dave Fleming

afair Its mainly the top of the fuselage aft of the cockpit, which is raised and there are windows in the sides at that point which need removed

I think something has to be done with the engine exhausts too

I have done a homework - compared it with WindSock drawings.

FROG's Vimy represents Alcock and Brown's machine that was modified for the Atlantic flight, it requires some surgery to reduce the length of a hump on the spine and reposition tail gunner windows and opening that are way too aft:

1349524190_PICT0024.jpg

Navigator/bomb aiming window is also missing

1349524194_PICT0025.jpg

I fixed that with a plasticard and pieces of old "hump":

1353261631_PICT0124.jpg

Wingspan is fine, 

#752529/ Novo Vickers Vimy Mk.4 - ГОТОВО Закрыть окно

One would also need to fight "starwing cow" and add missing leading edge ribs and missing hatches, panels, tank plugs etc. 

Engine nacelles also need correction to fill in niches.

1354448466_PICT0143.jpg

Interiour is non-existent, I used Alley Cat kit as a reference

Of course, you would need to add a lot of smaller details as the kit is quite primitive but it may be a good starting point. Eventually you can get something like this:

1389527830_PICT0030.jpg

More pics and WiP were:

I seems like the pictures have gone but most of them are still visible in this WiP (in Russian)

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41384

I also wrote an arcticle (in Russian) with a gist of building process with all modifications explained:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/6966-Novo-Frog-1-72-Vickers-Vimy---sovsem-ne-strashnyjj.html

• Like 5