Martin Mars JRM-3 Coulson 1/72

21 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Jan ( @janneman36 )!

Any further progress on this build?

Cheers

Jaime

Well i was busy doing the windows but these are to big and i had them drilled out in order to let the windows fit....wich didn't go well..

The hull is resin enforced fiberglas and is not easy to clean up because when you drill a hole the fiberglasstrings need to be trimmed as they appear.

I did find out that when you make the inside wet the fiberglas is removable with a needle file wich does keep it from being a dangerous glasfibre dust floating through my mancave...

The other wrong thing in this kit are the clear round windows wich are oblique and the real ones are simply flat

It is not an easy thing to get these things fixed but i have found a way by experimenting with clear epoxy on a other kit wich went well..

So this is to be repeated on the Mars...

The best thing was to paint those round windows in the fuselage wich i didn't!!

I also made some wingspars and had tho tinker about how i could attach the wings in a way that they won't crack when attached to the fuselage..

Next week i hope to get full steam ahead as i am at the moment quite busy doing some preperations for the ESM scale modelling event in Houten the Netherlands.

Nevertheless i appreciate your interest in this build and i am hoping to post some new pics next week as do want to have it finished before or at the end of the group build.

My best regards, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Jan

Im really sorry to hear about all the issues with this kit. When you spend a lot of money on such an iconic aircraft it's very disappointing to find it has all these problems. Please keep going it will look amazing when you finish, there's lots of support from us all to help you on the way :partytime:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Well Pat i am not going to give up as this is for me the ultimate firebomber and all the support and interest over here sure helps!!

But as you allready said it is a heck of a lot of money for a kit with these kind of issues but that is also eminent with those short run kits.

I once bought an overpriced Dekno DC2 and never finished it because of the amount of issues it had, i simply could not live with the end result as it definitly not resembled a DC2 (i must confess that i have a severe case of AMS )

Cheers, Jan (ams lead member):S

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, Jan. I'm terribly sorry to know about the issues with the kit. New materials can be full of unpleasant surprises...

I hope you can overcome the difficulties and manage to finish the build in time (or after, what really matters is achieving a result that makes you happy and having fun in the process).

We're all here to provide support and we'll be following with interest :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jrlx said:

Thanks for the update, Jan. I'm terribly sorry to know about the issues with the kit. New materials can be full of unpleasant surprises...

I hope you can overcome the difficulties and manage to finish the build in time (or after, what really matters is achieving a result that makes you happy and having fun in the process).

We're all here to provide support and we'll be following with interest :)

Cheers

Jaime

Well the windows where the biggest surprice, it is a pity that there isn't a instruction in the  manual how to best do the drilling as it only says drill out.

What i found out is that a high speed works the best with a HSS drill, so still something learned!!:huh::lol:

Thanks for the support..

Cheers Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Thank you for all the positive support over the period, but as i still haven't made any progress due to work related interference (like safety exams that i didn't planned nor expected :S) i am not able to finish it in time before next week!!

I have been busy with the windows and tried a few things in order to get the window problem sorted out as i want this one to be a stunner,  in the end that makes me happy about having AMS....:rage:

However i will finish it this year but on a backburner...so i call this one closed with a little pain in my heart to dissapoint you all..

I am going to finish it this year and will be making another thread!!

Maybe the mods are able to port this one over to the regular work in progress?

In the meantime i was able to follow some of your builds and i must say that i am impressed about what has been build over the period!!

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
Grammar
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hi Jan,

thanks for the update. Don't worry about not finishing in time. I won't either. It's more important to finish it to a level that makes you proud, especially with a model like this.

You can move your thread to the WIP area by asking directly to one of the mods.

I'll be very interested in following your build till its conclusion! I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Finally I have been able to make some pics of a few updates!!

First the wing floats, these are a little comprehensive and could have been made in less more parts as they did..

All the parts aren't numbered so it is good thing to number every item to avoid a mixup!

Every float strut consists of four parts each and they do look lot a like..

25931358008_79ff7da0c3_b.jpgDSC_6104

38904666495_fb56828a64_b.jpgDSC_6106

39803892201_89db70c8f2_b.jpgDSC_6114

Next the the awfull windows, these are way to big as the come in the kit and oblique and they should be flat..

As a solution to that I placed them in reversed and in that way all detail fades as it deforms your view which in fact comes in handy cause otherwise you would see the uggly glasfiber formed raster.

All holes are shaped up by now which was a hell of job, the best thing for your health is to take a needle file and keep your file wet during this process.

25931359678_d0ef11fc71_b.jpgDSC_6070

38904658085_3d3894ebe0_b.jpgDSC_6068

38904657385_65a5cfb7e8_b.jpgDSC_6081

Next glue the windows in with Revell contacta clear! awesome stuff and way better then the Humbrol variant..

The microscale clear reacts to water which isn't handy as I still have a lot of wet sanding to do, the Revell one only dissolves with alcohol and stay's perfectly clear when immersed in water .

In that way I can completely immerse it in water and clean it:idea:

25931358858_04974a9e92_b.jpgDSC_6089

24933435547_c525b43deb_b.jpgDSC_6098

The next problem where the windows in the hull curvature as these wheren't shaped as such, I glued them in but I wasn't satisfied.

So back to drawing board..:P

What I did is that I took a piece of vivak just warmed it up with a heat gun to be able to form it and lay it on the hull next to the window that needed replacement ..

38904664055_11661b5d4f_b.jpgDSC_6125

And voila a perfectly formed piece..

I laid it on the hole and shed a light through it and draw with a marker the window on it in order to cut it out with a scissor!

On the picture below this was already done on the two upper windows and I was pleased with the result.

39803890761_79c304444f_b.jpgDSC_6127

One thing that sometimes occurred is that you have some airbubbles or other discrepancies in your window.

But as this glue dissolves without leaving residue when put in alcohol it is quite easy to pull these out when dried and redo them and put them in alcohol which I did in quite a few times in order to find a good way to fix my window problem!!

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Jan , can you please explain what vivak is ?

I have an Amodel Beriev Be-2, the wings and fuselage of which are made of a similar fibreglass material and might have to use your method when I get the courage to get it out of the stash.

TIA,

Rog

Hello Rog,

Vivak is transparant thermoplastic which can be formed using a vacuum machine but you can also use the method i described..

Vivak is sold through some local hobbyshops and other company's as it is a clear type of food safe plastic which doesn't yellows and thus ideal for canopy's.

The plastic on my fuselage in bleu is Vivak with it's protective plastic stil on it to avoid fingerprints on it when i form it.

If you don't succeed the  first time it can be reheated to give it's correct shape.

Here a link to company who sells these sheets..

https://www.architekturbedarf.de/plastics/pet-g-transparent/pet-g-vivak-sheets-250-x-500-x-15-mm

And good luck with your Be-2.

Cheers,  Jan

Edited by janneman36
Spelling

Hi Jan - interesting and challenging build, I'll be following along. I have a strange love of Amodel kits - I'm building the Mil Mi-10 at the moment - they present a bit of a challenge and you always end up with an unusual and interesting model - not done one of the fibreglass ones before though.

Interesting window technique - might have to look for some of this vivak stuff. 

I've come up against the Amodel window problem a couple of times before. They never seem to be the right size for the holes they need to go in (fortunately they always seem to be too big, the other way round would be more of a problem!) and never seem to match the curvature of the fuselage. My method of dealing with it - which worked quite well - was to attach them so they sat a little proud of the fuselage, sand them back to the profile of the fuselage with a fairly coarse sanding stick, and then polish them up with a series of increasingly fine grades of micro mesh. You can see the result in my Tu-134 build - post #23 here.

@roginoz I think you mean the Be-200 rather than Be-2. I've been thinking about getting one of those - I reckon you should get it out and build it, it'll be a pretty spectacular model.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zebra said:

Hi Jan - interesting and challenging build, I'll be following along. I have a strange love of Amodel kits - I'm building the Mil Mi-10 at the moment - they present a bit of a challenge and you always end up with an unusual and interesting model - not done one of the fibreglass ones before though.

Interesting window technique - might have to look for some of this vivak stuff. 

I've come up against the Amodel window problem a couple of times before. They never seem to be the right size for the holes they need to go in (fortunately they always seem to be too big, the other way round would be more of a problem!) and never seem to match the curvature of the fuselage. My method of dealing with it - which worked quite well - was to attach them so they sat a little proud of the fuselage, sand them back to the profile of the fuselage with a fairly coarse sanding stick, and then polish them up with a series of increasingly fine grades of micro mesh. You can see the result in my Tu-134 build - post #23 here.

@roginoz I think you mean the Be-200 rather than Be-2. I've been thinking about getting one of those - I reckon you should get it out and build it, it'll be a pretty spectacular model.

Love your build on the Tu, i just went through your topic..

I did consider that technique on the windows you used but i don't want to sand the vivak so this is what i came up with and i hope that it works in the end..

The windows need to get smaller so i want to mask em and putty them in order to get the windows smaller without seeing edges..

I will make my smaller masks on a Silhouette Portrait plotter.

So there is a learning curve here:party:

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36

Hi, Jan, - thank you for your explanation of vivak, sounds a most useful product - I'll look out for it , thanks for  the link.

Hi, Zeb, yes, of course I meant the Be-200.......doh !.......allowances for senior moments sought and appreciated !

I'm looking forward to tackling it.

• Like 1