Consolidated PB2B-2 Catalina, QANTAS

Thanks Janne, I thought they turned out nicely along with the base

A couple of more pictures that did not make it to the gallery (without the base)

25784414898_9b71447858_o.jpg

39625684712_4f300f7aa7_o.jpg

25784414778_8ccfc44153_o.jpg

Thanks to the hosts (in particular Jaime for keeping us motivated), what a great collection of flying boats and float planes in one place. It will be nice to see a few more finished to complement the great variety that are already completed

• Like 7

+1 from me too Ray.

Floating Cats in any guise and always great, however when it's finished off so well in our National Airlines colours - it looks so much better.

I really should build a Qantas aircraft one of these days.  

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Hello Ray,

Lovely job on the project – both the Cat and the base.

I'm catching up on some of the builds that I didn't get to along the way as the finished products are appearing in the gallery (I did try to be a good GB citizen).

I may have missed it, but how did you do the water for the base? I have struggled with mine, and any pointers may help me in future (too late for this GB).

Regards,

David

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hello Ray,

Lovely job on the project – both the Cat and the base.

I'm catching up on some of the builds that I didn't get to along the way as the finished products are appearing in the gallery (I did try to be a good GB citizen).

I may have missed it, but how did you do the water for the base? I have struggled with mine, and any pointers may help me in future (too late for this GB).

Regards,

David

Thanks David,

The water base is just some wall spot filling plaster slapped on an old picture frame. I had an old premixed tub which had started to harden. I mixed some water into it to soften it which sort of worked

24392092597_23ca91a7e8_b.jpg

So the result was a bit of a lumpy mess that I massaged a little as the base hardened.

I then painted the depressions black and added different layers of other blues. The 'wake' was just whit brushed onto the base while the blue was still wet. I later added more white when it was all dry. I finally brushed a coat of gloss over it (Future in this case).

Next time I will use some more 'serviceable putty/filler so I can mould and form it better.

• Like 3

Hello Ray,

Thanks for the description. I hadn't thought of using some plaster (otherwise I probably would have added that to the project, along with resin, papier-mâche, and the white glue!). The effect you've achieved is really good, and sometimes it seems that a quicker "thrown-together" job comes out best.

Regards,

David

• Like 1