Consolidated PB2B-2 Catalina, QANTAS

I shall be joining with the venerable Catalina.

Starting with the Academy 1/72 PBY-5A kit I will add the Red Roo PB2B-2 conversion.

36719745562_ac777395e1_b.jpg

I would have preferred to start with a PBY-5 kit but the 5A is all that is around and easy to find these days in the LHS

36719745062_a9fa525198_b.jpg

They come with locally added RAAF decals, though I will not be using them.

The Red Roo conversion includes the resin parts to make a wartime or civil PB2B-2 and the set I have includes decals for an 11SQN RAAF machine among others.

36082271703_6ed9393287_b.jpg

Though since it also has the parts for a civil aircraft I could be tempted to build a QANTAS one!

36494011720_97da2c548d_b.jpg

Perhaps I could do both as I have another PBY-5A kit and conversion in stash:idea:

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
QANTAS it is!
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Ah- excellent! This was a project from my mid-teens never realised ... I finally saved enough and bought the kit, got it home, opened the box & that giant parasol wing (1/48) was warped! I didn't know what to do with it back then & there was no forum such as this to turn to ..

My grandmother had told me of  travelling on one of these from Sydney to Lord Howe Island.  That's what had got me interested.  I had gone so far as to contact Qantas (wrote a letter!) & they invited me into their headquarters in Sydney. Met their in-house historian who took me up the skyscraper to the floor where they kept the old photos. He left me alone to rummage through them for reference.  Not sure the same request would yield the same response these days!!

So there's my bias! My vote for the Qantas version.

Whichever you choose, all the best for the build.

• Like 3

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the GB! A Catalina is a superb choice! If you have the time,  please build both versions. We can't have too many Catalina's, you know? :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After looking at the decals, while the 11SQN aircraft would be slightly easier I am tending towards the QANTAS aircraft.

In addition to the conversion itself I would have to cut the 8 extra pax windows in the fuselage.  There is quite a good website on Civil Registered Catalinas in Australia with plenty of history and photos.

I need to get a couple of other builds out of the way before I attack this one, so I have plenty of time for research and ruminating!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hell Ray,

The QANTAS one looks lovely! The RAAF one looks intersting too! I'm glad that I'm not the one making his mind up - but on balance I would possibly tip in favour of the QANTAS version if it were me. Or, as Jaime said - do both, and you can never have too many of 'em... no pressure or nuffin', though ;).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Nice choice of plane and I couldn't decide which I'd do either. :)

What are the Hawkeye Decals like please? They do a sheet for Aussie Huey's I'd like but I've had a couple of bum steers recently.

Hawkeye Decals are fine, I have used a few sheets. They are laser printed on continuous film. Some colour decals that go on dark backgrounds are supplied with screen printed white backing decals.

Fortunately for these QANTAS decals, the aircraft is basically white so I would just lay the decals straight down on the model.

So the consensus seems to be for QANTAS, looks like I am doing a civil Cat first.

• Like 4

Another one that's on my 'must build' list! Also another one that I've got all the bits for, but have yet to make the effort to start. To he honest, I keep making excuses about the cowling size and putting off finding ways to effect improvements...

Good luck and a fair wind, and I'll follow along. :)

I look forward to watching this build unfold. As an aside I am 90 per cent certain my grandfather flew RB-P in WW2, though before it had that radar attached. I must check his log books when I get home at Christmas, but I am very sure. I'm going to do my own "Black Cat" for this build but in1/144.

Oh, my mistake. It was RB-L. Before he died he told me that was him flying it in this photo (which I believe he provided originally to the person who subsequently put it in Catalina Chronicle). I think I thought RB-P because P was the first initial of my grandmother.

P921589.jpg

• Like 7

Go QANTAS , like that and it will make a really nice change. One day the question will be asked. Do you remember that QANTAS  Catalina somebody did ? They will, possibly the only one made !

VH-EBA and EBU registrations were recycled for a couple of 707s -138B and -338 respectively in the 60s, -EBA 747 in the 70s and later A330. -EBU later a 747-338 covered in Aboriginal art.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I built this UH-1H with Hawkeye decals (quite appropriate for this GB as well)

36517032740_a9023a03ff_b.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift, will get back to the Catalina sometimes after the 2nd of September!

That was you in the Huey GB then? Pity all the pictures disappeared. Your model got me thinking about doing one here but I'm going Staggerwing. My Huey entry never got off the ground LOL but the decals still haven't shown up for it. That turned out very nicely indeed.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That was you in the Huey GB then? Pity all the pictures disappeared. Your model got me thinking about doing one here but I'm going Staggerwing. My Huey entry never got off the ground LOL but the decals still haven't shown up for it. That turned out very nicely indeed.

Yes indeed. I might go back and update some of the pictures at some point.

8 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Go QANTAS , like that and it will make a really nice change. One day the question will be asked. Do you remember that QANTAS  Catalina somebody did ? They will, possibly the only one made !

VH-EBA and EBU registrations were recycled for a couple of 707s -138B and -338 respectively in the 60s, -EBA 747 in the 70s and later A330. -EBU later a 747-338 covered in Aboriginal art.

VH-EBA is currently worn by an Airbus A330-212

• Like 2

Talk about coincidal..My daughters future father in law.. Getting married tomorrow !! Got the speech ready.. warned not to mention aeroplanes!.. Flown over from  Oz actually saw QANTAS Cats flying ! Couldn't believe it. Just showed me a bunch of photos on his I phone from the QANTAS museum in Outreach...Brilliant.

He saw QANTAS Cats flying.. I'll let that sink in !

I went a shade of green !

edit It might be at Longreach ,not Outreach !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Airbus A330-212

I mentioned that, its in that quote