I have always been fascinated by the North African Theater, the desert, the tanks, long range patrols, water problems, the sun filtering between the palm leafs of an oasis...

I decided that my first 1/35 tank had to be from those battles, that little piece of war that sometimes is left behind the large scale battles that took part on the western and the eastern front.

So, with this magic setting in my mind, I decide to model the Tamiya 1/35 M13/40 Carro Medio.

Now some of you may notice that this M13/40 has many features of the M14/41 production, the major difference between the 2 was the engine and minor chancing in the exterior, like the number of rivets above the twin mg port, or the orientation of the engine grill.

I decided to not mount the driving lights on my model, i noticed how some tanks in pictures idnt have them, maybe they were not really useful, and the crew removed them during the day to prevent damage from small arms fire.

The camo is a mix of a true and a fantasy one, tank crew often added patches of green over the sand tone, mine decided to paint some irregular (and really badly painted, but that's my fault, I am not an ace of the airbrush) green stripes. Markings are for the first tank of the first platoon, maybe one day I will add a radio antenna.

Here the photos sorry if I bored you!

eLquz7Bl.jpg

it's also my first time using pigments and enamels, i tried not to overdo the weathering, and i stil have some problems with decals, I need to buy a good decal softer.

J9dmrGLl.jpg

t4kEcw4l.jpg

8ulwrtyl.jpg

yStlqgbl.jpg

xKSYt7ul.jpg

Outdoor photos! The sepia effect is really inspirational.

EKuPOB4l.jpg

xqLHmsgl.jpg

CBU1egal.jpg

Thanks for reading and for having posted nice tanks on the site for me to take inspiration from, see you for the next AFV model (probably an M20 personal carrier)!

• Like 7

First AFV and first success. Nice model, only the photos could be better. There is not many Italian tanks on forums and I hope that this one won't be the last one. 

Thank you all very much!

3 hours ago, Kris B said:

First AFV and first success. Nice model, only the photos could be better. There is not many Italian tanks on forums and I hope that this one won't be the last one. 

I plan to do more Italians in the future.

5 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Very nice ,is the Tamiya kit the Italeri one in a different box ?.

Italeri reboxed the tamiya one with some other minifigures (that I also have purchased separately and that are still on the working bench, if you are interested in the subject they are really nice, there aren't many plastic Italian infantrymen).

Looks quite good, and the extra green is quite plausible as some coastal areas did have vegetation.

I  wasn't aware Italeri ever reboxed Tamiya , I though they both did their own respective  M13/40 tools dating back to the 1970's?

For Italian figures, Model Victoria has the most choices.

regards,

Jack